Poll: what kind of stats does Sanchize have to put up to remain a Jet after next seas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tbruner12, Jan 7, 2013.

1. BTC

BTC New Member

This is for the first 4 games right?

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I pray to Christ the Bills Week 17 game is the last start he has for this team.

3. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

When it's the D and the running game setting up the scores then its' the D and the Running game that made the game, not the QB who was along for the ride. He made a couple of nice passes, but the Jets TEAM played better than the Patriots. And it's the story of turnovers and Drives stopped which are all part of the stats, that the Jets won. Yes Sanchez made a couple of nice passes when on TD's, But to say Sanchez outplayed Brady is just silly Junc and you know it. The Team outplayed the Patriots, the Defense contained and stifled Brady.

And yes, the Patriots led the league in Interceptions and were ranked highly in fewest points allowed, I kind of omitted those stats knowing you'd bring up those "Fantasy stats" in your rebuttal. I did this to make a point, you only puhpah stats when they don't support your argument, but when they do support your argument your the first one to use them.

But my point remains valid, if Sanchez had outplayed Brady against the Leagues worst yardage defense he would have Racked up passing yards AND scored the touchdowns. He didn't, instead the teams Defense and running game put him in position to make a couple of plays. Did he do good on those plays? Yes. But did he outplay Brady? No, The Jets Defense contained Brady and using your own "fantasy Stats" bent but did not break and allow the points.

Like I said, Sanchez has NEVER been a decent QB, he's had a couple of average games, but that's it. He's the modern equivelant if Trent Dilfer, the difference is when Sanchez made it to the Championship games he didn't "lead" his team to victory...then again neither did Dilfer really, like Sanchez, he was just along for the ride.

4. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Great post!i guess junc is the only person who watches football that thinks stats r junc? Fans players coaches scouts media all see that stats do not lie! Game plans draw on stats heavily too! Well my argument is now gonna be, Sanchez deserves no credit for helping or leading the team in 09/10. It has been revealed to me with my eyes only, scottenheimer was the reason Sancho played so great. But he wasn't the reason when nacho played bad! Stats or no stats!

#64 tbruner12, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  5. 1968jetsfan

In fairness the Jets didn't do Sanchez any favors, but then again neither did Sanchez do himself any favors. He should have stayed in school at least another year to get experience and hone his game. If you read scouting reports for the period they all had high praises for his tools, but almost all had warning signs about his game and lack of experience. For example I remember one that was posted on this site in another thread where the report mentioned Sanchez had been fairly accurate with his passes except for a stretch in the middle of the season where his accuracy slumped off. Now if you have a 3 or 4 year college starter having roughly 1/3 of the season where your accuracy disappears isn't a concern, but when your college experience is only one season, thats a ref flag. Sanchez's stats were also inflated by a receiving corp that often got very wide open and was hard to miss. Sanchez was VERY green.

The Jets didn't do him any favors either, the rushed him in to the starting job on day one, they didn't really have a competition, the decision he was the starter was made on like the 3rd day of mini camp if I recall. it may have been a little bit later. And the Jets moved a very green and raw QB in to a complex system..But the Jets did give him an elite defense and a top 5 running game to hide behind.

I won't say Sanchez can't become a decent QB, he'll never be a star. But as far as New York goes, I think he's done. there are times it's better for the team and the player to go in different directions...

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

you are using stats to make your evaluations, I can almost guarantee you are not watching enough of those QBs to know if they were the reason their teams missed the playoffs. Some guys put up great #s in meaningless action, others do their damage when it means something. That's all I care about.

he played excellent football in 2010, those that would ask for him to be removed if he had an identical 2010 season and we made antoher title game do not have any clue what they are watching and proves my point in this entire discussion.

we lost both title games b/c of the defense not b/c of the QB.

I'd love that too but unfortuantely we have NE in our division and we'd have to win 13-14 games to get a home game which isn't realstic to expect.

The run game didn't do much that game, the D played great but the play of the game was the 3rd down where Sanchez escaped pressure redirected Braylon and threw a strike down the sideline to set up our first TD. we could have the '85 Bears D playing at their best and you still need offense to win the game and we did it through the air that game.

It amazes me how little people undertsand this game or how much they hate mark that they can't give him any credit.

I never just cite blind #s, I use #s in context as PART of an argument. Folks like you just spout of meaningless #s out of context. It shows a lack of understanding of the game to tell me NE had the 30th ranked pass D.

by the way, when tbruner agrees w/ you then you generally know you are wrong.

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yep a team game except for Mark Sanchez? He is absolved for scoring 0 points at the GL, scoring 0 points in a half, and actually contributing 7 points to the other team.

It's funny how depending on the QB, you shift blame on whether you like them or not.

8. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Brace for the "Mark Sanchez Off-Season Workout" articles. Sometime around late May. I'm sure he'll "look rejuvenated," "rededicated to football," and "in the best shape of his career," or some such thing.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I hear he's working on his mechanics and taking judo so he can learn how to fall down.

10. Sundayjack

And will, of course, invite the entire receiving corps out to his passing camp in California to "work on chemistry."

<sigh>

11. nyjunc

He brought us back from 24-0 down to w/in 5 pts w/ plenty of time int he 2010 title game. The D needed to stop Pitt from getting 2 1st downs, they could ahve allowed 1 and we still would have had a chance. Great Ds would have stoppd Pitt 3 and out and given our even more time but the D allowed 2 1st downs to end it.

In 2009 we had a double digit lead whicht he D blew. The O went scoreless in the 2nd half but he lost any threat of a run game when Greene went out early 2nd half so Indy knew we had to pass, that will hinder an offense, wouldn't you agree?

12. abyzmul

And only the backups will show up. Like every year.

13. Sundayjack

I was just thinking - wouldn't it be interesting if he invited everyone out there and they ACTUALLY worked on chemistry? I mean, test tubes, beakers, small phosphorous explosions, and so forth. Right off the plane he hands Jeremy Kerley a white lab coat.

Worth a shot.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This poll is a huge stretch in thinking there is any chance Sanshit will be the starter.

15. abyzmul

Maybe they could create a football anti-anxiety pill to give to Sanchez after he takes that first sack of the game and starts looking like a cat with a finger up it's ass.

16. 1968jetsfan

Hint, I'm 51, I've been watching football since 1968 when I became a fan, I've been an ardent football follower for my entire adult life, and that goes back to the old days before the internet. I've seen most of the players I talk about play. I've watched their seasons, I've followed their game charts, by internet now, by newspaper results back before the internet.

I saw Namath play live, in person. I saw Unitas Play live in person. I remember watching the Dolphins perfect season and listening to such novelty songs as "the game plan to beat Miami".

I've forgotten more football than you'll ever know.

I also look in to situtional stats, how they do late in the game, how they do when they're team is leading, how they do when their team is down.

and trust me, I know how to judge them fully.

Now I don't have a problem giving credit to Mark where it is due, the problem is far too much credit is given to him for those playoff games.
    As far as his excellent 2010 season? You mean the season where he was nearly benched in the last quarter of the season because he was stinking up the joint?

Maybe a refresher is due here.
    In the closing weeks of the season, the playoffs on the line.
    Sanchez against the Patriots, 17-33 164 yards, 3 interceptions
    Sanchez against the Dolphins the following week 17-44 217 yards 1 interception, 4 fumbles....
    His wonderful 2010 season where his combined interception and fumbles were 22, 13 picks 9 fumbles.

The "no rushing attack" you claim, 2010 the Jets were the 3rd highest rushing team in Yards, and yards per attempt. They were also the 9th highest rush score team. They were 23rd in scoring via the pass. The Defense you repeatedly put down Ranked 8th in takeways, They did rank 19th in points allowed, but when your offense is turning the ball over left and right you have ALOT of short fields.

I'll give Sanchez his credit where it's due, He made a couple nice throws in the playoffs and did't totally muck things up too badly overall. But to say he led the team to victory is sheer hyperboyle... Trust me, I've seen Dilfer play and I've seen Sanchez play....trust me, Sanchez is a thinner version of Dilfer.

17. 1968jetsfan

and clearly junc you weren't watching that game, the play of the game came when cotch caught a short middle pass and took it 58 yards that set up the points needed and Shonn Greenes 16 yard touch down run that sealed the game 28-21.

But then again, I guess you weren't watching ;)

18. Sundayjack

Hehe.

Dude, have to run but I have a funny story to tell you. I'll email you later today.

19. nyjunc

You are older than me, that's it. you prove by your posts that you clearly don't know more than me. Just b/c you watch something doesn't mean you truly understand it.

Again you are being misleading as he was never in danger of being benhced, it was a ploy by rex to motivate. read his book.

you also mislead based on saying in the final weeks they lost to NE and Miami, those were not the final weeks. He could have played spectacularly at NE and it wouldn't have mattered b/c the D gave up 45 points. vs. Miami he and the O stunk but Holmes dropped a wide open TD in a close loss.

Misleading once again. He had 14 total turnovers, 13 INTs and ONE fumble lost. It's nice to compare INTs and fumbles but fumbles lost is the only stats that matters.

yep, I see you looked up the stats again to find out we had the 3rd most rush yards so obviously we had a great run game, right? WRONG. Those #s are completely skewed by a meaningless week 17 game where he barely played and we rested starters and w/ yardage from Brad Smith on reverses/wildcat.

Our primary ballcarriers averaged 4.16 YPC which is good but far from great.

Take out Smith and the meaningless week 17:
    total yardage: 534-2374, 4.4 YPC. looks great

now let's take out week 17 and Brad Smith:

451-1859, 4.12 YPC

Interesting and while LT and Greenes #s look good LT did most of his damage the first month of the year.

Games 1-5(5 games): 76-435, 5.7 YPC, 3 TDs
    Games 6-15(10 games): 143-479, 3.3 YPC, 3 TDs

for the majority of the season he averaged 3.3 YPC

but the stats say we had a great run game that acrried our QB so it must be true!

The Cotch play was great, grat play call, great read, great throw, great run after the catch but the Braylon play jumpstarted our offense.

Dilfer was a quality QB but he didn't have great fantasy #s so he must have sucked. You watch the game, have for a long time but there is a difference btw watching and understanding.

20. 1968jetsfan

Dilfer was a below average QB who as long as he was surrounded by Stud players had some success. I watched for years, trust me he was nothing special.

You say something that is very correct...you can watch something without understanding it. However, clearly you've got your Sanchez blinders on so tight you can't see it's yourself you are talking about :D

Now you say the games weren't in the final weeks of the season?

Sorry bub, but the final 5 weeks of the season DO count as among the closing weeks of the season, especially when your backing up in to the playoffs. I didn't say the final two weeks of the season, specifics matter.

so now your going to sit and disect and remove certain games from the offense and defense to make mark look better? Puhlease. Again, you are showing your lack of understanding, and just for the record, 4.14 yards per rush on average will still get you a first down every 3 plays. A 50% completion rate and 6.4 yard average won't 2 get you a first down 2 times out of three..assuming of course that all plays are the exact average, which of course they are not.

Okay so since we're removing plays, take out the Edwards catch and the Cotchery catch and Sanchez suddenly is completing less than 50% of his passes AND is right around 100 yards for the game. No fair you say? Of course it's fair, if your going to remove yards that comes with the territory.

Regarding fumbles, fumbles are a random chance of who recovers the ball, when a QB fumbles statistically speaking the defense recovers approximately 60% of the time. The fact that Mark put the ball on the ground 9 times and only lost 1 isn't skill, it's sheer blind luck and well beyond the statistical norm.

Here's a clue, since clearly you don't understand the game. Putting the ball on the ground is ALWAYS bad. The fact that he essentially flipped a coin 9 times and it came up heads 8 of those 9 times is irrelevant, He still fumbled 9 times and that could have just as easily been 8 fumbles instead of 8 fumbles recovered. If you understand football at all, even on it's most basic level, then you know putting the ball on the ground is ALWAYS bad, regardless of the outcome. That's just fundamental football, and Sanchez is ALWAYS among the top 5 of putting the ball on the ground. 43 times in 4 seasons he's put it on the ground.

Nice talkin to ya kid, learn the basics of the game and forget the idoltry.