Poll/Christmas Wish List: Who Should Our QB Be Next Year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 24, 2022.

?

All I want for Christmas is:

1. Mike White

51.5%
  2. Zach Wilson

3.0%
  3. Jimmy Garoppolo

9.1%
  4. Gardner Minshew

12.1%
  5. Jacoby Brissett

2.0%
  6. Derek Carr

14.1%
  7. Aaron Rodgers

15.2%
  8. Tom Brady

2.0%
  9. Lamar Jackson

9.1%
  10. Other

14.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Not sure Carr is the best fit, but I'll say one thing--he stands in there in the face of a rush and keeps his eyes downfield. I watched the last 2 raider games, and for whatever it is worth, he is one QB who does not have happy feet.

2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

And now the Rams stink, and they will for years to come. So imagine for a second they didn’t win the SB, which is actually what happens 99% of the time you try to buy a SB. In fact it’s exactly the start of why we’ve had such ineptitude over the last decade plus, thanks to Tanny trying to buy shitloads of talent to put around Sanchez at the expense of draft picks. And in the examples of Brady and Stanford, both were already HoF caliber QB’s. We’re talking about bringing Minshew or rolling with White. You really wanna mortgage our future again with one of those guys at the helm?

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I would definitely consider calling the Green Bay Packers. If they are willing to trade Aaron Rodgers, Joe Douglas should make it happen! If they are not, then trade for Jordan Love. I think he has a lot of ability too and is already familiar with the system.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Kinda thinking Nick Foles wouldn't be a good vet to bring in. They made every excuse in the book for him but the bottom line was, he looked lost.

#104 ouchy, Dec 27, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I know from all your Posts you have been Homering for drafting drafting and drafting more QBs till we get a FQB
    I used to think along the same lines until I woke one day and found myself in my 6os rooting for a dumpster fire franchise that hasn’t won a Lombardi since I was a kid
    We are at different ages and different places in Jets Fanhood..I am not getting any younger so Win NOW and to hell with the future (sorry)
    Don’t get me wrong ..we can “buy” M White to get the job done
    But drafting we are shit outa luck tbh

FTMR I sincerely doubt the Rams don’t start winning again with the talent they have including getting B Mayfield

Borat likes this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

How do we know that? How do we know the guy can be even an average starter in this League? I didn't even think he was a great player out of College. He regressed in jr year, playing like shit, throwing for 20 TDs and 17 INTs. Btw, he also played bad competition, doesn't come out of P5 conference. He is even more of a project than Zach, and haven't we learned anything from Zach fiasco? Guys from non P5 are huge huge risks, even if they have monumental seasons like Zach had. And when they have a bad season, regressing in third year from second, like Love did?

There is no chance JD will bet the farm on this guy, when he just blew it with Zach.

7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I think they will try to get Jimmy G or Mayfield.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like Jordan Love. I like Zach Wilson though too, so don't take my word on it! ;)

9. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Im not getting younger either, I’ve been at this for 40+ years. We’ve had all sorts of fantastic teams during that time, and none have won anything. What we never had was a franchise QB. How do you not see the correlation? Our scouting team should be hiring QB gurus, our FO should turn 90% of their focus to evaluating QB’s. You put a vet on this current team at QB and we’ll be wasting the next 3-5 years and back to square one at the end of it. We need our franchise QB. You
    find those in the draft. We need to keep trying until we have one. Every other part of an NFL team can be corrected in one year. You don’t put those ahead of QB.

Borat likes this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You both bring up amazing points. Without a FQB we won't have a sustainable contender. Look even at Bill Belichick. one of the best coaches ever. Without Brady he never had a contending team, and the sample size now is pretty high. Rex had two years. Parcells had a year. But teams that are in it year in and year out have good QBs. The best way to get one is the draft. That's why you see teams time and time again wasting good picks on the QB - even drafting one when they seemingly already have one on the roster (see Philly with Hurts, 49ers with Purdy, Jets with Morgan, Minny with Mond, the list goes on and on).

You need to evaluate and trust this evaluation. If Philly had Hurts as #15, and he is still there in the second round, take him. If you are convinced Fields is the guy, and you can trade up and get him, trade up. You can't however go into the draft thinking I must draft a QB, when you may not be in position to do so. I am pretty sure JD will take a shot at QB when opportunity presents itself. If say Stroud slides to us or close to us and JD thinks Stroud is the answer, he might pull the trigger. But I am not sure if there is a QB with higher probability of success outside of top 3 in this year's draft. You don't need to reach up for a low probability one, better wait until there is a better opportunity.

I also think Mike White can be a real deal. I was very impressed with his play, particularly considering the excrement of the OLine we had for him. We outgained all 3 teams we played, including in bad weather, 2 highly rated teams, team with great defense. If we got a little bit of help from OLine, we could have ran the ball better, and Mike would not be hurt. Special teams performance also hurt. But from QB perspective, given OLine mighty struggles, to outgain Minny and Buffalo was a monumental achievement, primarily by Mike White. He was a draft pick too. Could he be out Dak Prescott, out Kirk Cousins with the bigger arm? Maybe the answer is right here. I am just hoping our OLine will pull its head out of the ass, so we can really see what Mike can do for this team.

11. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I like Mike White, and I see so many of you selected him, but we have not seen enough and he is often injured. He has started 6 games over two year and been injured twice. He has had two great games and two horrible ones. We have no idea if White can be the guy, and we can't afford to give big or long contract to an unproven QB which would tie us to him for years.

I want a proven veteran and any of these would do; Brady, Carr, Rogers or even Mayfield. I like Garoppolo, but he is too injury prone. I would rather have an older proven QB for two years than the alternative.

Nyjets4eva and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

since this a a QB thread...

I was thinking yesterday... of all coaches in the NFl whose OPINION re: ANY QB would you value the most?

I came up with 2.

Andy Reid and Sean McVay... how about you guys? I'd add Sean Payton but he's retired.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  13. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

heres the reason why i made that post about mcvay and the walrus

the WHOLE NFL has a MASSIVE difficulty in IDing QB talent.

hundreds of scouts...

Qb gurus and guys with a TRACK RECORD of IDing traits that translate from NCAA to above avg QB play in the NFL are super rare.

14. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

I think Petersen does a good job of working with QBs. Foles, Wentz was decent before hurt, TL is much better than last year after a half season with him. Jets have to bring in some veteran guy on offense. I do not believe in MLF unless Brady/Rogers is the QB. Need veteran presence. Not sure how strong Carr is in that aspect. Carr is the guy if available via FA.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Unless they're employed by the Jets in a long-term role, I wouldn't trust any coach's opinion--the incentive is too strong to lie.

16. eddie sec 126

eddie sec 126 Active Member

The guy I wanted to pick years ago is not even on the list. Have Broadway baker hitting wide receivers in stride. I say super bowl next year

17. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I get that, but we have to do something different. We have to commit to focusing on finding the right QB. I’m not talking fire JD or the scout team, but someone in the building needs to specifically be in charge of finding QB’s. Whoever is scouting QB’s for JD have netted Morgan and Wilson. Ewww.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

And they were both the exact same quarterback.

19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

And what’s funny is James Morgan was drafted when we had Darnold already and had tons and tons of holes up and down the roster. They drafted him over all those needs and circumstances because they thought they saw something special in him. So whoever it is in the room that saw something special in him and or Zach needs to either be removed or reassigned to special teams scouting lol.

20. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Out of the QBs on the list, we might as well swing for the fences and go with a guy like either Rodgers or Brady. They're the only ones on the list that either aren't the textbook definition of average or don't regularly miss time due to injury. A motivated Rodgers, as much as I dislike the guy, with our receivers and a healthy Breece Hall and Bam Knight supporting in the run game, it would be pretty fun to watch.