Poll/Christmas Wish List: Who Should Our QB Be Next Year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 24, 2022.

?

All I want for Christmas is:

1. Mike White

51.5%
  2. Zach Wilson

3.0%
  3. Jimmy Garoppolo

9.1%
  4. Gardner Minshew

12.1%
  5. Jacoby Brissett

2.0%
  6. Derek Carr

14.1%
  7. Aaron Rodgers

15.2%
  8. Tom Brady

2.0%
  9. Lamar Jackson

9.1%
  10. Other

14.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Merry soon-to-be Christmas TGG! If Santa can give us one QB for 2023 while we sleep nestled all snug in our beds, who should it be? (Note that we can still draft a QB, but it's unlikely Young, Stroud, or Levis will fall to us, and we need to have somebody before we go into the draft.) The candidates are below. You can pick up to 2 QBs, but this is not about picking your first and second choices. Only pick 2 if you plan to have both of them on the roster. Except in the case of Zach. Don't pick him.

Mike White: Pros: Has shown flashes of being a franchise QB, potentially cheap, and the players love him. Cons: Small sample size, immobile, and injury-prone.

Zach Wilson: Pros: Was drafted 2nd overall. Cons: Sucks.

Jimmy Garoppolo: Pros: Higher career passer rating than Tom Brady, has played in the Super Bowl, and good scheme fit. Cons: Will never be elite, injury-prone, and the whole Brock Purdy thing.

Gardner Minshew: Pros: Has put up good numbers on bad teams, potentially cheap, and still young enough to have a ceiling higher than what he's shown. Cons: Probably just Tyrod Taylor with a mustache.

Jacoby Brissett: Pros: Somehow has a >2-1 career TD/INT ratio, cheap, and not a pervert. Cons: Is a backup QB who got benched for a pervert.

Derek Carr: Pros: Has a long-established track record of putting up good numbers on bad teams, could be a lot better than people give him credit for. Cons: Is probably not actually a lot better than people give him credit for. Also would cost assets in a trade.

Aaron Rodgers: Pros: Future first-ballot Hall of Famer who may still have it. Cons: Would be a short-term rental who would cost assets in a trade. Also a douchebag.

Tom Brady: Pros: The GOAT. Would be extra motivated to stick it to Belichick. Cons: Fuck Tom Brady.

Lamar Jackson: Pros: Could be our one chance to get a future Hall of Fame QB in his prime. Cons: May slow down with age and would cost a lot of assets in a trade. Also, we're not getting him.

Other: Pros: Better than Zach Wilson. Cons: Who?

#21 HomeoftheJets, Dec 24, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
    NYJetsO12, Jets79, NY Jets68 and 3 others like this.
  2. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Can we make it so we can choose 2 if we want? For me, it's who do I want in a QB competition next year.

HomeoftheJets and papapump like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

Done.

JackBower likes this.
  4. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Minchew is a definite yes, but I want to see Mike White again before I put him there. If he's hurt or sucks, I could go with Brisset.

Really not interested in selling assets for anyone. Still have plenty of holes to fill on offense and defense.

Br4d and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

In an ideal world, I'd get Garoppolo and keep White as the backup. Between the two of them, we should have one healthy QB. This only works though if they're both willing to be on the same team together. If not, Minshew and White could work as well.

#25 HomeoftheJets, Dec 24, 2022
  6. HomeoftheJets

I don't think Geno (or Sam for that matter) would ever come back here. Geno will probably just re-sign with the Seahawks.

Nyjets4eva and Fiftynine like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We should definitely avoid signing a pervert. That doesn’t seem to work out too well for non-Ben Roethlisberger NFL quarterbacks.

8. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

How about trade Zack with Darnold ?lol

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  9. doodad

doodad New Member

Forget 'wishing' for a QB.
    Or screaming how the game is rigged against you.
    Or insulting your fellow posters who disagree.
    Or being amused by loser-fans who cross the line with obscenities to coaches or foul DMs to relatives.
    Continue to support team-building, act with decency, put things in perspective, and a good young QB who wants to be part of a well-constructed roster with hard-working and professional coaches will come.
    Peace.

#29 doodad, Dec 24, 2022
  10. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Darnold makes sense.

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Bring back White, sign Minshew, and have the two compete. I realize it might not be possible to get both, but hey, it's a wish list right?!

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Darnold makes sense?! Guys…

Minshew is fine. He’s better than he showed today but also worse in other aspects. He’s just one of several NFL QB’s that fit into the same basket of understanding how to run a NFL offense but having very limited spectacular play ability.

13. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

He also played behind one of the best OL in the league.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Brisset over gm2

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I knew it was coming.

James Hasty and stinkyB like this.
  16. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

No Derek Carr please

IDFjet likes this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

We already had version 1.0
    his name was Ryan Fitzpatrick

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Roger Staubach

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, I actually think Zach Wilson has taken his last snap for the Jets, but if Douglas can't get anything reasonable in return for him - and he likely won't be offered anything reasonable - I think he keeps him. In that scenario he needs to get a QB who can almost certainly lead the Jets to the playoffs next year. Maybe White can, but that's not certain. Rodgers probably could but even if he actually wanted to come here, he'd be hideously expensive, both in the assets needed to trade for him, as well as the salary to pay him. Lamar also probably could, but his salary would be huge, and he's been prone to injury, and could MLF actually make use of his skillset? The rest of the names on the list above are mediocre to slightly above at best and not worth the money IMO.

So that leaves Brady who wouldn't cost anything in trade assets, and while his salary would be huge it would only be costly for a year or two at most, during that time Zach - whose salary is locked in on his rookie deal - can sit and learn from the GOAT. And no I'm not saying Brady would be his mentor, but Zach would have to learn something by just watching and practicing on the same field with Brady.

Finally, under this scenario, the Jets could draft a mid round QB this draft or next to compete with Zach for the job of heir to Brady.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It's not a job fair... o_O

stinkyB likes this.