Polite-william william anderson = best jets line ever?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Samuscdarnoldfollower, Apr 26, 2019.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Couple things that jump out on the tape..

He had 20 tackles for loss, and the tape shows he's a guy who regularly plays behind the LOS.
    I saw some 3-4 formations with him playing OLB, as well as some 4 man lines where he played standing up.
    Should project well in our 3-4 and subpackages.

He's got the talent and scheme fit.
    Hopefully he's got the character and the drive to be great.

2. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

All I can say is, if you watch the tape it isn't hard to see why they took a chance on him where they did. And it ain't exactly like we've never had a head case, or Juvenile ass wipe, off the field on this team before.....I'd love to see him shut everybody the fuck up in a BIG way. Maybe the gamble pays off, maybe not, but let's give the guy a shot....he's all business when he plays.

#102 Andy_M, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    FlaJet, stinkyB, Matt X and 1 other person like this.
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Good point except we did draft those guys.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It makes sense to do exactly what G. Williams has said - stay flexible, keep changing up the scheme whether it is quarter to quarter, series to series or play to play. Locking a team into a single style could be the most anachronistic approach still commonly used in the entire game.

5. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, how long have you been a Jets fan and watched the team. I don’t mean this is a dickish way, I’m just curious if you actually grew up watching the Sack Exchange? I was about 8-9 years old when I became a Jets fan in ‘82 or thereabouts (I had been an Eagles fan before that.... but I got better). It was the Sack Exchange was one of the things that really solidified my love of the Jets—they were such an amazing line.

Now that doesn’t mean that I don’t want the current lineup to be better—I’d like nothing more—but that’s a big ask. If this current iteration of the DL turns into the second best DL the Jets have ever had I will be in Jets heaven.

EDIT: just noticed you’re really more of a Darnold follower than a Jets fan. Is that right? Yea, go to YouTube and check out the NYSE.... not the stock market one. Then you’ll understand the replies you’re getting.

Samuscdarnoldfollower likes this.
  6. Samuscdarnoldfollower

Made me into a jets fan..so thanks for the history lesson and i will watch it. I just think, seeing how this team is beginning to take form, gives me championship hopes...

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

8. Sid Youngelman

Sid Youngelman Active Member

They ain't no Sack Exchange.

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

This from Wikipedia-

The New York Jets have announced that despite hiring Gregg Williams as their new defensive coordinator they will continue to employ the 3-4 defense in 2019, opting to stay with the scheme that better suits their current roster instead of switching to the defense Williams is usually associated with.

10. Ralebird

Wikipedia? You mean that website that allows virtually anyone to change its content regardless of their knowledge or motive? I looked for more information on a few different Wikipedia pages but could not find anything related to what you posted. But you saw it on the internet so it must be true.

I don't know how everyone here has missed the announcement that the Jets allegedly made. How much of a disadvantage are the Jets at now that Wikipedia has tipped off the rest of the NFL about what kind of defense they'll field?

Mogriffjr likes this.
  11. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Hackenberg was trash and his tape always showed it, Polite has excellent tape which is what matters. He slipped because of bad interviews and a horrible combine overall but talent is there.

SOJAZ and stinkyB like this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Calm down there Ralebird.

It's not like it came from Twitter...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3–4_defense

13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You really hate fake news, are you Donald?

;):p

14. Ralebird

Even Wikipedia doesn't believe it:

"
    [​IMG]
    An automated process has detected links on this page on the local or global blacklist. If the links are appropriate you may request whitelisting by following these instructions; otherwise consider removing or replacing them with more appropriate links. (To hide this tag, set the "invisible" field to "true")
    List of blacklisted links:[show]
    [​IMG]
    This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.
    Find sources: "3–4 defense"news · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)"

15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Polite William William Anderson.

He’s so Polite he says his first name twice so you don’t forget it.

Catfish Billy and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

greatest ever???

Let's pump the breaks a bit, 2 of these guys are rookies

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Damn...it must be some kind of conspiricy...:confused:

Per Jetswire-

New York currently has eight defensive linemen on its active roster. Under defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, the Jets are sticking with a 3-4 defensive scheme and there’s only so much room for all these defensive linemen. Leonard Williams is entering a contract year and hasn’t been what the Jets had expected when they drafted him in 2015.
    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/...innen-williams-gregg-williams-2019-nfl-draft/

Per Forbes-

Adam Gase made it official while speaking to reporters Wednesday at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis--the Jets will stay with a base 3-4 defense, as they have done since 2006.

The offensive-minded Gase, who already has ceded control of the defense to veteran coordinator Gregg Williams, told reporters Wednesday that the Jets “are sticking with our base being a 3-4 defense. We’re trying to keep as many of our players as we can. … We’re not completely starting over. We can keep a lot of the guys that we have.”
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelz...-base-3-4-defense-again-but-why/#5a63945c6aa9

Per Fansided-

In what should be considered surprising news, Brian Costello of the New York Post has reported that the New York Jets will continue to operate out of a base 3-4 defensive scheme in 2019.

This comes on the heels of new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams being hired just last month, a move that was met with widespread praise from the majority of the fanbase. Williams has coached almost exclusively 4-3 defenses during his time as a coach in the NFL making this move a bit of a head-scratcher.

Regardless, the coaching staff seemingly believes that the personnel on the roster is still best fit for a 3-4 defense. Given that the defense was, of course, crafted with the alignment in mind, this shouldn’t come as a surprise.
    https://thejetpress.com/2019/02/23/surprising-3-4-defense-new-york-jets/

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Ralebird

I'm sure that you realize none of these "sources" represent announcements made by the NY Jets. I'm also sure that if you read what is said there two of them say "base" meaning the variations cited by G. Williams himself are not precluded. Fansided telling us what the coaches "seemingly believe" is not worth the pixels slaughtered in its production. You can believe whatever it is you choose but if you say the Jets have announced something why not simply quote the Jets announcement for accuracy?

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm just going by what the head coach said.

Do you need to hear it from Chris Johnson?

I'm sure Greg Williams will use whatever line scheme works best.

Personally... I don't give a shit as long as they put the guys in position to succeed.

Jets81, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.