Playoff Picture (Merged x69)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SunshineJet, Nov 26, 2009.

1. GreenMachine

Yes. A denver win is not a killer. Nor is a baltimore win. But if they both win, party over

2. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

There is NO way Denver wins tomorrow. I'd be so shocked. JAX and Denver will lose tomorrow, it's basically up to Pitt to just win one of the last two.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

It's up to the Jets, man. This team has to win out against two playoff teams. New York winning out has to come first and the odds are against us.

With that said, I'll be a huge Steelers supporter tomorrow and in Week 17 if the Jets somehow pull off a win in Indy.

I see the Eagles beating the hell out of a very overrated Broncos team that benefits from a great start of the season.

Baltimore without Ed Reed and starting corner Ladarius Webb will be an interesting team to watch. Hopefully the Steelers will come into this game fired up and crush the Ravens.

The Patriots should win.

The Houston/Miami game could go either way. Hopefully, Andre Johnson will have a huge day against the Fins' young corners.

#683 Mr Electric, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  4. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Is there a way we could be eliminated from postseason contention even with a win over the Colts tomorrow?

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

GM made a post earlier in the thread that answers this

If Baltimore and Denver both win, the Jets are out...no matter what.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

It would be a much better game to watch if Jacksonville, Baltimore, and Miami all lose tomorrow in the 1 o'clock games.

...I can dream, can't I?

7. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

so we wouldn't even need to beat indianapolis?

8. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

No. He means if all those games happen AND we win, all we would need is to be Cincy next week. No other games would matter.

We can't get in at 8-8.

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I think there's a good chance they all do, too.

And throw in Cincinnati. Believe it or not, we could take their spot as well. They're at home against the Chiefs, but who knows their emotional state. And it gives us a back door in case the Ravens win out. Ravens go 10-6, Bengals lose twice (including against us) and finish 9-7, we beat them in the tiebreaker. Cincy wins all the tiebreakers with their divisional foes, but that doesn't matter if they finish behind them.

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Both win tomorrow, or both win out?

Because if both win tomorrow, the Jets could still get in. It wouldn't be likely: we'd need either Baltimore to lose to Oakland week 17, Denver to lose to the Chiefs at home week 17, or the Bengals to lose to the Chiefs at home this week. But by no means are we eliminated.

11. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

A big thank you to Al Davis.

We trounced the hapless Raiders but they pulled out wins against Pittsburgh and Denver, pushing the Conference record tiebreaker in our favor.

If the Jets get into the playoffs because the Oakland Raiders beat Baltimore in week 17, Raiderjoe might not return from his hiatus.

12. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

http://www.jetsdaily.com/2009/12/sunday-viewing-schedule.html

Here is your viewing schedule for tomorrow. With the Jets on at 4:15, there's plenty of reasons to be excited early. The Jets could control their own destiny by the time they take the field if three of the early games go the right way.

The hardest part of the playoff picture has always been the Jets winning out, and that remains the case. But with the showdown with the 14-0 Colts having a late kickoff, there's three more hours for Jets fans to dream of more January football.

1:00 Games
    Houston at Miami
    Root for: HOUSTON
    Why? The Texans, Jets, and Dolphins all sit at 7-7, but the Jets beat Houston and got swept by Miami, so it's vital that the Dolphins lose in the next two games. If the Jets win out, Houston is irrelevant as far as they are concerned. Miami has Pittsburgh at home next week, so it's feasible they lose next week if they win this week.
    Vegas says: Miami by 3
    I say: A lot of people seem to like Houston this week, and on paper, it makes sense. Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson lead a fearsome passing attack against a Dolphins' secondary that can be picked apart. However, the Dolphins have the edge in the trenches on both sides, and the Texans have a tendency to be soft.
    Miami 27, Houston 24

Jacksonville at New England
    Root for: NEW ENGLAND
    Why? As much as it stinks to root for the Patriots, Jacksonville is 7-7 and has the tiebreaker on the Jets. New England means nothing to New York in terms of the standings, and Jacksonville needs to lose to either the Patriots or Browns on the road for the Jets to pass them, so this is a huge game because Eric Mangini can only help the Jets so much.
    Vegas says: New England by 10
    I say: Jacksonville is bad on the road. New England is good at home. Jacksonville has no pass defense. New England has Tom Brady, Randy Moss, and Wes Welker. Jacksonville has all the motivation to try to keep it close and win, but the Patriots should be too much for the Jaguars.
    New England 28, Jacksonville 21

Baltimore at Pittsburgh
    Root for: PITTSBURGH
    Why? Simple. Baltimore and Denver lead the two Wild Card spots at 8-6. Pittsburgh can knock the Ravens into a tie with the Jets if they win. Gang Green has the tiebreaker over both squads.
    Vegas says: Pittsburgh by 2.5
    I say: This is a tough one to figure out. Baltimore and Pittsburgh are used to smash mouth football, and fans would see one of the most physical games of the year. The hate is still there, but the defenses are not, as both secondaries have been vulnerable. Pittsburgh's defense has a lot to prove, but they're at home, and they have the better offensive weapons, so look for the Steelers to win a tight one.
    Pittsburgh 27, Baltimore 24

Kansas City at Cincinnati
    Root for: KANSAS CITY
    Why? The Bengals looked like a lock just a few weeks ago, and if they win this game, they're in. But if they lose and the Ravens win, they're just another playoff contender, and a Bengals loss could make next week's Jets-Bengals game an opportunity for the Jets to directly leapfrog the Bengals in the standings.
    Vegas says: Cincinnati by 13
    I say: The Bengals are clearly the better team, and they should be able to run all over the Chiefs. However, the Bengals' mental state is a question mark right now after the unfortunate death of Chris Henry, and they've already had a letdown against the Raiders earlier this season. Cincinnati should win, but the Chiefs could make it closer than Bengals fans will want to see.
    Cincinnati 27, Kansas City 20

4:15 game (besides the Jets, of course)
    Denver at Philadelphia
    Root for: PHILADELPHIA
    Why? Denver is in the AFC, Philly is in the NFC. The Broncos lead one AFC wild card spot, and if they lose, the Jets would tie them in the standings and beat them in the tiebreaker. They play the Chiefs at home next week, so this may be the Broncos' one chance to lose.
    Vegas says: Philadelphia by 7.5
    I say: The Eagles get back Brian Westbrook this week, but this game is more about Denver than anything else. Brian Dawkins makes his return to Philadelphia in a huge game. Will the Broncos finally stand up and make a statement that they won't choke down the stretch? Or will they yet again falter, and continue their late season free fall, as they have been so prone to do? I think they give a game effort, but they simply aren't as good as the Eagles, so Philly pulls it out.
    Philadelphia 20, Denver 13

13. greenpower

greenpower New Member

This thread is hilarious

"I think we have a good shot"
    "blah blah blah can lose, blah blah blah can win"

Come back to reality Jet fans
    please

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

GM over complicated things by trying to simplify them. We dont need Bltimore to lose at all. We need one jax loss, one miami loss and one denver loss. Period. We win out in that scenario and we're in. Jax and Miami can easily lose at 1. Then we watch the Jets game while watching the score update up Philly destroying denver.

15. jonnyd

the only game in my scenario that we can "afford" not to come through is Miami because at least theres a chance they lose next week to Pitt. If Jax or Denver win, we're FUCKED. Jax has cleveland next week and Denver has KC. Huge huge Patriot and Eagle fan today

16. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

destiny could be in our own hands before our game starts. it's not crazy either considering the matchups at 1 PM. i just don't see the jets winning though.

17. jonnyd

^true. Miami, Jax and Baltimore all lose at 1 and destiny would be in our hands. Could all happen. But uhhhh the Colts are gonna tear our ass open arent they

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Also theoretically, the Falcons loss last week didn't really affect much. Because either way we still need to beat the Colts.

Obviously the Falcons loss, now requires that the Jaguars, Dolphins and Broncos or Ravens need to lose. But it seems pretty favorable that they will all lose.

The Steelers play both the Ravens and the Dolphins so the Steelers might be the key for us to get the 5th seed possibly.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets needed to win out to make the playoffs. If they get in at this point it'll be a miracle. Miracles happen now and then but not so often when the Jets are involved.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Winning out is what the miracle would be. The rest is very likely.