Pats sign Shaun Ellis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 7, 2011.

1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Exactly.. he can't show up and be the man every play of every week anymore. Hell, he can't even be a solid player week in and week out anymore. But to play a few snaps a game, rotate with the young guys and help mentor them here, I would have been all for having him back in that role.

The coaching staff would have taken him back for the minimum. That's all they thought he was worth, and that's really all we need to know. Rex Ryan knows how to evaluate defensive players. He thinks Ellis is pretty much shot. Rex is right. Our defensive line will be better this year.

2. ........

........ Trolls

I'm upset he's gone. I'm not pissed at him. I wanted him to retire a Jet, but it's not my choice.

3. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

At the end of the day, you as a person do not want Shaun Ellis as a person to die in a fire, and we both know that. It's an expression because of how pissed off you are (and I'm not saying I'm not equally angry).

That said, you always use over the top phrases, which are generally hilarious.

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

This sums it up just perfectly. You cannot be sentimental with guys you know are going out the door anyway. The future is on the roster, yea, being put in the forefront a little early, but I am sure Wilkerson will do fine.

5. ........

........ Trolls

Right. My brother in law played 12 seasons in the NFL, made good money, and I can assure you that every last dollar counts when most of them will NEVER have an opportunity to see that kind of payday again. Don't pretend that a few hundred thousand isn't important just because they've had big paydays.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this was obviously rex's plan to send someone up there to destroy brady in practice.

7. ........

........ Trolls

That's not at all what I said. I said the overreaction and hatred is wildly inappropriate. I never said people shouldn't be upset.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Unless he's managed his money like MC Hammer, Shaun Ellis should have been set for life after this first NFL contract.

9. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

He's a traitor because the Jets lowballed him with a take it or leave it offer and he took more money to play elsewhere? Rex basically said the rook was the man and ellis could come back but he was gonna have a small role. I work for Pratt & Whitney (UTC) and we hate our biggest competition GE. But if I'm making $70 grand and GE calls and offers me $80, I'm a GE man tomorrow!

If you want to hate him because he's on the enemy, that makes sense. But to personally attack him for making a decision that benefits him and his family, thats dumb.

10. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

LMAO.

Wow.

To be fair, One can never have enough money

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Ahh, comparing electric companies to the NFL. Classic.

12. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Sports are a little more close to the heart then a real world job though, to be fair.

13. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Get out of my head.

You realize how creepy that sounds when you look at my avatar.

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I can see the Big Kat saying: "too much money ain't enough money"

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I think we should wait and see what he got before rationalizing it, then add in the costs to relocate his family for a year and see if it was even any more.

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Or Mark Brunell...

It's disappointing but not a shocker - if he was going anywhere but the patriots I wouldn't really care - going to the one place that will have the biggest impact on our progress is very meh - but if no-one else came in for him it's sort of understandable if the contract is a few hundred thousand more

Still I won't be rocking my Ellis jersey any time soon

17. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Actually, it's jet engine divisions, and yes. Taking care of the family is a consideration regardless of what you do for a living. Unless you're his accountant, you have no idea what his financial situation is.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Love how everyone immediately sides with management now.

Ellis asked for an extention last year, and was denied.
    Tried negotiating on new terms this year, and Jets were firm on 1 yr at vet min.

If the Pats offered him similar terms i'd be pissed. Waiting to see what the contract is, but i'd expect either more years, higher pay, or both.

As to him being washed up.....he was our most versatile DL last year, and the only who could pass rush at all.
    Perfect fit for the Pats who will run multiple fronts. Expect to see him rotate over there at 3-4 DE, 4-3 DE, and potentially inside on passing situations.

I fucking hate the Pats, and don't want to see Ellis over there.
    But its not like the Jets tried hard to retain him.

19. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

It's already been stated that it's a 1 yr deal

20. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

This is my nightmare!