Pats sign Shaun Ellis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Shit like this happens because of the salary cap. say what you will, but Ellis is in the twilight of his career, and of course he is going to go where the most money is. Why wouldn't he?

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as upset about this as the next guy, but I don't think the Jets are shitting on their long time vets, they are asking them to make sacrifices for guys like Mangold/Harris/Revis/Sanchez/Holmes who are in their primes and should be paid as such.

2. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

3. ........

........ Trolls

Everything except the contract he wanted at the end of his career.

Seriously, you can't possibly hate the guy for wanting to max out on his final contract. Just because we might say we'd play for a ring doesn't mean these guys all feel the same way, nor do they have to. He's getting a chance at a ring AND more money to retire with. I don't blame him. It sucks, but I'm sure as hell not spitting venom.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You are not upset at Ellis at all? People being upset makes sense to me.

5. babyknight

babyknight Well-Known Member

fuck shaun ellis.

6. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

There's no reason trying to talk sense into people at the moment. It's a loved player going to our most hated rival. Of course there are going to be huge, ridiculous knee jerk reactions to such a wound

7. The Dark Knight

Yeah, exactly.

8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

no problem with him leaving, but the pats???

[​IMG]

9. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

By the same token "Go Die" is really fucked up, especially when put into perspective with the awful news we received yesterday. It's a little extreme.

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I didn't read through this whole thread, but I assume it's a lot of "Same Old Jets Fan"posts saying it's a mistake the Jets let him go and he'll hurt us, and we're doomed, or things along those lines.

Well, I agree that it sucks to see the longest tenured Jet leave and go to the Pats, the only reason it will hurt is just seeing him in the Pats uniform. It's not like he's going to hurt the Jets on the field. All you need to know is how little Rex Ryan valued him by not pushing for the team to offer him more than the vet minimum. I mean he probably signed for something like 1.5 million.. Rex didn't think he was worth an extra half a million dollars to come back for another season. Do you think Rex Ryan doesn't know how to evaluate defensive linemen? He knows.. the party is over for Shaun Ellis.

He had his moments last year, but by and large he is washed up. Wilkerson has been getting rave reviews at camp, Kenrick Ellis I'm sure will be part of some formations with both him and Pouha in there, and the coaching staff has high hopes for guys like Dixon and Pitoitua. It would have been nice to have Ellis back as a rotational player and to help mentor the young guys, but obviously the coaching staff felt it wasn't worth it at the expense of cutting a young player. Oh well..

11. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

You are fast becoming my favorite poster on this board, You get it, seems many here don't....It's business people, not personally, Big Cat will sign a one day contract down the road and retire a Jet... An still you don't know if he will be cut before the regluar season starts...

. Maybe the Jets sent him up there to spy on the Pats, ever look at it that way....:grin:

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He doesn't warrant anything more than a vet minimum contract. He doesn't need any money, man. The guy's been playing in the NFL for 10 years. A couple hundred thousand dollars more is nothing to a 10 year veteran.

This move doesn't upset me only because he opted to sign for a little more money. It's upsetting because of who he signed with.

If a player signs with a team within our division, I hate them. That's just how I view this game.

Do I appreciate everything he's done as a New York Jet? I sure do.

Do I hope he dies in a fire now? Definitely.

13. The Dark Knight

Yeah, agreed. But Iggy acting like people should not be upset is ridiculous. Like MexicanJet being pissed his favorite player went to the Pats. He should be upset. Doesn't matter if he is old, washed up, making more money for his family or anything. He was a Jet for over 10 years and now is an enemy. Thats rough.

14. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Very nice post.

This reminds me of the whole Alan Faneca thing from last year, the only difference is instead of going to the Cardinals, and no one giving a shit, he went to the Pats.

I'm sure Shaun will have 1-4 good games or so, He has plenty of talent, but he is old and his body can't handle the same punishment anymore. He is likely done after this year.

I have faith in the young kids on the D line.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I have plenty of sense and my reaction isn't huge and ridiculous. Our opinions on Shaun Ellis may differ, but our opinion about the New England Patriots is more than likely the same.

16. The Dark Knight

Nah, there is a big difference. No one cared about Faneca. If he went to the Pats I wouldn't care. Ellis was a Jet for life. And now went to the Patriots.

I don't think any Jet fan is fearing Ellis beating the Jets or being great in NE, its the point he chose to go there.

17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

WAIT WAIT WAIT...

Are we sure Ellis is not pulling a Jason Taylor move here?? You know.. the one the Dolphins fans recently INSISTED happened last offseason on finheaven? The one where Jason Taylor and the Miami Dolphins front office concocted a genius double-agent plan where Taylor would come to the Jets and learn all the secrets of the team, then sign back with the Dolphins the next offseason to report back with all his new information, thereby ruining the Jets franchise in the process??

Patriots fans, be forewarned.. I smell a conspiracy here... We have our own double agent.. Double O 92, the new James Bond.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

While I agree some people are being a bit extreme you can be sure that hardly anybody will give a shit when he signs that 1 day contract down the road. That's just the way it will be.

19. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

He never said that. He said people shouldn't be going to the extremes they are going to right now, and he's by and large right. I just think it's a fruitless expenditure of energy (BIGWORDSLOL) because of who Ellis was for this team.

I agree with him, I just think it's wasted time to try and deal with all the extreme hate posts because there's nothing that's going to stop them, not so soon.

20. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Dude, People lost their shit over Faneca. The O-line would crumble, etc etc. Sanchez would get killed. Come on. I know it's on a larger scale, because it's Ellis and the Patriots, but people still lost their marbles over it