Pats sign Shaun Ellis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 7, 2011.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Not mine. Look, if it fell flat if fell flat, fair enough. I meant it in the Al Swearengen (Miamipuck's sig) sense, i.e. Al: you wanna b.j. while I talk? Judge: no. Al: I wasn't offering personally.

Now you're cherrypicking. I was clearly referring to his NE knowledge of NY Giant merchandise availability (I bolded/highlighted that particular part in 'NYG' blue). Locally, I know local Yankee bandwagon jumping when I see it. This wasn't about Mets-Yanks.

Again, if it fell flat, it fell flat. ok.

2. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Again, if it fell flat, it fell flat. ok.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I was on a roll after the first one. Nothing personal.

3. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

I can't really tell you one way or the other on that one, since message boards didn't really come into prominence until seven or eight years ago. The Patriots had a huge following in the 70s and then through to '86 when they were the first WC team to go to a Super Bowl. But then things got uglier and uglier for the next 10 years or so until it all bottomed out before Kraft bought the team. They were basically St. Louis-bound if that didn't happen.

That said, it's hard to debate that Boston is a baseball town first and foremost. But even with the Sox, the "pink hats" have kind of taken over Fenway.

Absolutely. It wasn't meant as a criticism... it's just a natural thing that happens. When a team is bad for a lot of years, or inconsistent at least, it'll have a lukewarm following. True of any city or region.

Haha, zing! But no. I just respect them for the first time in a long time and it helps the enjoyment factor to get GG's perspective on a division rival.

Like I said above, I think the period from roughly 1987 to around 1993 were the "dark years." Kiam hired Parcells, sold the team to Kraft, they drafted Bledsoe, and things started getting better.

Scott Secules and Hugh Millen, by the way... and I went to a lot of games at Foxboro Stadium before they tore that place down. (And it was a dump... long overdue when it was finally brought down!)

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I go up to NE frequently. I see what I see. I talk to Pats fans. Who were not Pats fans before sometime early in the past decade. That's about ninety percent of them, as far as I can tell.

You never used to see any Pats gear. Now it's ubiquitous.

I am right.

5. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

Never said you weren't right. I said I didn't know either way.

But if the Jets continue to succeed and maybe even win a couple of titles, do you think a lot of your "fans" are going to recognize names like Chad Pennington and Wayne Chrebet?

You're laying it down like it's some kind of shameful thing exclusive to Boston when, in reality, it's what happens in all sports, in all cities. Maybe 10-20% of a team's fan base is truly dedicated; the rest are, for the most part, front-runners.

The Patriots were the worst team in the NFL 20 years ago. I remember the blackouts, the crappy old stadium, etc. It was ugly. They were so close to being moved to St. Louis... if Kraft, who was a longtime fan himself, hadn't bought the team, it probably would have happened.

6. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Far be it for me to argue a point with ANYONE who can correctly use the word "ubiquitous" :wink:.....BUT I think your use of anecdotal evidence to make your point doesn't work.

Despite having to root for a very inconsistent team (usually 3 good teams a decade), in the worst stadium in the league....by far, and under a piss poor owner, Pats fans have long supported their team well, considering the conditions.

I also take offense to the constant error of many Jet fans who seem to think that Pats fans didn't exist until 2001. The Pats have been sold out EVERY year since 1993 when Kraft bought the team,

The other misconception is that the Pats weren't good until 2001. That's also false. They might not have been as good as they are now (who is? :wink: ), but from 94 to 1999, IIRC they didn't have a losing season. Went to a superbowl, and made the playoffs 4 times. In fact since Bob Kraft has owned the team (18 years) the Pats have had 3 losing seasons (2 under Parcells, one under BB, and surprisingly, NONE under Pete Carroll.

Like you I have have gone to Giants Stadium on several occassions to see the Jets and Pats play (Haven't been to the new one yet). In EVERY case. I never came with a ticket. Never got a bad seat, and NEVER had to pay full value

So I think I have a better case to wonder about the very soft support that Jet fans have given their team over the years, than to defend your allegations that most Pat fans are front runners. I thought that was the job of Yankee fans. :wink:

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Understood CJ. Glad you took my response in the intended spirit. thx and regards.