Pats sign Shaun Ellis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 7, 2011.

1. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

You missed my point. He wasn't a rotational player last year; he was a full time starter.

You have to change players now and then and I understand why the ditched him (cost, you've got to start getting younger in the front seven at some point, they picked up some good looking defensive lineman in the draft, etc) but lets not pretend he wasn't a key piece of last year's puzzle.

#881 ManlyGenius, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You completely miss the point.

I will not be rooting for Ellis to do well, as CHAD FANS such as yourself did for Pennington.

I am merely pointing out it is not necessarily Ellis's fault he went there.

Ftr I never said Chad himself was wrong to sign with Miami. He did what he thought was right for him. My issue was with Chad Fans.

3. Big Blocker

Again, I am not at all going to root for him to do well. That was not what i meant.

4. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Fuck- I missed all of the Ellis news until just now. Is this true? Is there anyway we can get him back? A trade or something?

5. Big Blocker

I agree with this and your previous post.

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He was, but that doesn't indicate his production. Jets brass obviously feel they can get equal production from a younger guy, which is entirely possible.

I agree that Ellis had more than just one good game last year (some people seem to think that's the case). His work as a 3-4 DE doesn't always translate to the stat sheet. That being said, he is replaceable, and I support management's decision to go with a younger guy if they feel he is capable.

The Pats didn't gain a "stud". They gained an aging DE who will now be playing in a 4-3. It'll be interesting to see if he's used as a bullrusher at DE or slide over to DT. One thing we do know about Ellis is that he's lost a step or two over the past couple seasons.

7. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

I'm tires of this "Its a business" crap. I'm tired of it because IT IS A BUSINESS. What business would let a beloved asset go to a direct competitor.

Imagine if the hamburgler started selling whoppers. Damn right I'd be pissed off. I hate Burger King. That scrappy burgler would be dead to me.

Football is a business, its bad for that business to allow favorite players go to direct rivals. If Eliss starts crushing it for the Pats it is very bad for the Jets. Its bad for football in general.

8. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

They might feel that, but they might not. They might feel that they can get worse-but good enough-production cheaper with the young guys and they'd rather spend the money elsewhere. Plus you need to start turning over the aging defensive front seven sooner or later so in the long term interest of the club you might accept short term growing pains for long term development.

Or they might think he's completely and totally cooked.

9. Big Blocker

Precisely.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'm going to trust RR/Pettine's view that Shaun Ellis isn't that valuable anymore to the team. Their past indicates they know a thing or two about defense.

We'll have to bump this thread when the time comes and compare Mo Wilkerson, Ropati Pitoitua and Shaun Ellis' seasons.

11. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I didn't root for him to do well, I just correctly predicted that he would outplay Favre that year. I was there when Chad walked out of our stadium with the AFC East title and I wasn't happy.

12. Jetfannj6

Jetfannj6 New Member

pats signing just to pick his brain, watch him never play. classless belichik

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Is this a serious post? Can't tell....

14. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Thanks for joining up to share that insight. I'm starting to look at this deal in a completely different light.

15. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

[​IMG]

lol..

16. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Rex was about as unconcerned as you can possibly just now when Francessa asked him point blank if they made a mistake on Ellis.

17. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

People leave their jobs to get more money from a direct competitor every day. Ellis had a certain value to the Jets and I am sure that value was nowhere near 4 million. If that is what he is worth to the Pats than it made good business sense for Ellis to leave. It made just as much sense for the Jets to let him go because good businesses do not overspend on assets.

18. PleaseWinSuperBowlJets

PleaseWinSuperBowlJets Active Member

19. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

And he clearly shouldn't have been. His body was breaking down and he was inconsistent with his in-game performance. He wasn't a starter because he was playing at the level of a full time starter. He was a starter because he was playing at a (slightly) better level than the everyone that wasn't named Mike DeVito.

I love Shaun Ellis and I respect his willingness to pwer through all of that but he was clearly declining last season.

20. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Unlike Rex Ryan who signed OConnell and had him be a captain against the Pats? :rolleyes: