Pats sign Shaun Ellis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

If a poster can't spell a player's name right while they're on the fucking internet, then they should be called out for it.

2. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Don't worry it was...........

3. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I think they believed he'd come back when all was said and done. It was a calculated risk, but they had to look hard at the cap and decide priorities, and they decided it was worth the risk to gamble on Ellis as opposed to other considerations they felt were more important.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Except they still have 8.5 million to spend. I agree with the person who said pages back that they made him a vet minimum offer just to keep the fans from going ballistic (did it help?) and they really wanted no part of him anymore.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I never took a stance on the reports, I was merely shedding light on them. If Jets management valued Ellis' mentorship as much as you do, they'd have offered him more than the vet minimum. They have cap space to work with, and still chose to offer the vet minimum, which speaks volumes as to how badly they wanted him back.

The Jets DL rotation will be fine without the Big Kat.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I never said you did. Don did.

The other possibility, which I think is hte right one, is that after having secured Holmes, Burress, Cro and Mason, there wasn't much money available for Ellis. I know there was money, but they didn't want to spend it on Ellis.

And whether Wilkerson gave enough reason to think he's not likely to be a bust does not mean he was definitely going to start over Ellis in a head to head.

Here's my real point - a player's contract situation obviously affects how likely he is to earn a starting position. If Ellis had been under contract, with guaranteed payments due him, it is likely he would have been viewed differently than was the case given his actual status. And it's not like he was cut, either. An offer was made him. It was just not enough to overcome the offer NE made. None of htat means Wilkerson was destined to start were the situation different. More to the point none of it means he's going to be a good starter, either, at least not right away.

#866 Big Blocker, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  7. Big Blocker

8. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

If they are to be fine, then absolutely everything must go right with the rookies and inexperienced players.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

If everything goes "wrong" with them, Shaun Ellis wouldn't save the season. That's my point. The loss of Shaun Ellis is not going to set this team back very far, if at all. He's a rotational player at this point.

10. Big Blocker

Imo, this whole Ellis thing is not destined to be controversial, but could easily end up being so.

Here's the issue - I may not think Belichik is the genius Pats fans and some other sycophants see him as. He's made his share of mistakes. He's made questionable moves on personnel. To be sure.

But in fairness I do think he's above average on the personnel, FO side of his job. Being in the same division, and discounting as I do the notion that Belichik hoped to get much from Ellis about game plans and such, since what the Jet CS is going to do this year is not something Ellis was privy to,

And apparently also it not being the case that NO money was available for Ellis...

Then what do we make of the disparity between what the Pats gave him and the vet minimum offered him by the Jets?

Is it simply that the Jets could not use Ellis as much as the Pats think they will? Imo, that doesn't translate neatly into a market value that was the multiple of what the Pats agreed to over the Jet offer.

Or did the Pats better assess Ellis's true value, and the Jets were too much in love with their DL roster additions before they got a real chance to see what they would do on the field?

Time will tell.

11. Professor Frink

Right, he's a rotational player. The problem is that the Jets are in desperate need of rotational players on the D line. They don't have any studs and have more unproven players than guys who have actually played snaps in the NFL

12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Right, and if Jets brass feel they need to add someone to the rotation after what they see in TC, they'll call up Trevor Pryce, who would most likely match Shaun Ellis' production. They haven't made that call yet.

Patriot fans believe the Jets are in desperate need of DL depth. Jets coaches don't. Something's gotta give.

13. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I'd like to publicly apologize to Kenrick Ellis and all TGG posters for misspelling his name. I Googled it before I posted, but half of the Google links spelled it Kendrick so in haste, I went with that. I can't believe I was so sloppy in researching my 5 word post and the scorn and ridicule laid upon me is well deserved. In future posts I will try to do better. Please forgive me.

And Sean Eliss is dead to me.

14. Big Blocker

Ellis and Mangold were my favorite players. Ellis had been with the Jets longer than Mangold, so he goes back to when my favorite player was Martin. It's been awhile.

I am a Jet fan first. But working as I do in a company, I see some people treated better than others, some fairly, some unfairly. I think I have been treated fairly myself at times. Other times, not so much.

I would have much preferred Ellis to have retired as a Jet. But I think he made real contributions last year on what was not the strongest corps on the team. He was offered the vet minimum, and a hated division rival offered him a hell of a lot more than that.

If I were him, would I have taken that deal? Would you?

Despite my fandom for the Jets, I can see why Ellis took the Pats' deal. This is in part a business we are talking about. None of it means we have to like that Ellis went to the Pats, and I certainly do not.

But he's not dead to me. That's just silly.

15. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Makes perfect sense, just a complete 180 from your opinion of Pennington joining Miami after the Jets cut him to get Favre.

16. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

None of us know how good Ellis is right now--he might not even be able to play for all we know--but he sure as shit wasn't a rotational player last year. He played about 830 snaps (46 a game) , 6th on the team for all positions and the most on the defensive line by about 130 snaps.

(Devito had 697, Pouha 683, Pryce played 260 snaps, Gholston 252, and no other DL played more than 45).

The guy was a warrior for a long time and he was a hell of a good player last year. Lets not pretend he's a scrub who didn't contribute much.

17. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

they get back ropati, who has played snaps and was going to be a rotational player last year, and they add wilk, ellis and dixon ... i like the odds that at least one of them will pan out as a good rotational player to replace what is "lost" from s. ellis' departure

also, pouha is a stud ... one of the better NTs in the league

18. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Ellis was never in the Jets plans...Tanny did an interview with Francesa and said he thought it would have been a long shot to have him back

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I never said he was a scrub. I said he was a rotational player at this point. Rotational players are valuable to any team, including this one. The fact that management cared so little to retain his services speaks volumes to me, I trust their assessment of the DL over a Pats fan trying to make us feel like we've lost a key piece of the puzzle.

20. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I hate the way the Pats carry themselves. I hate their dirty and classless attitudes. I hate the way they ran up the score in 2007-08. I hate their fans for being fair weather, come out of the woodwork, Massholes and for their incessant whining about how they get no respect. I hate BB for being a cheating prick. I hate their accents. I hate the way they drive. I hate their racism. I hate Mark Wahlberg, Matt Damon, and Ben Affleck.

Chawn Elis was a great Jet, but he now plays for our most hated rival. It was a business decision for him, and I get that, but that doesn't mean I have to root for the guy or wish him well. I'm a Jets fan.