Our LB Corps

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1028, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Welker83

Welker83 New Member

Here is the profile that Mangini used while in NE:

4 Linebacker spots all with different Specialties...

1. Right OLB (Weakside) "Speed rusher"
    -Mainly a Pass Rusher
    -Needs to be able to support and turn the run.
    -Is a speed rusher
    Ex- Roosevelt Colvin 6'3" 250 lbs
    Ideal size- 6'2"-6'4" 245-255 lbs
    Draft: Manny Lawson/Kamerion Wimbly

2. Weakside ILB "Thumper"
    -Is a Run stuffer Inside the Tackles
    - Will shade the Weakside
    -Must be able to shed blockers and make the tackle at the line
    Ex.- Ted Johnson 6'4" 253 lbs
    Ideal size- 6'1"-6"4" 240-255 range
    2006 Draft-Schlegal/Parham

3. Strongside ILB "Utility guy"
    -Run Coverage
    -Pass Coverage (Backs and TE's)
    -Inside Blitzer
    Ex. Tedy Bruschi 6'1" 247 /Roman Phifer 6'2" 248
    Ideal size 6'0"-6'3" 240-255 lbs range
    Draft- Greenway/Carpenter

4. Strongside OLB/DE the "fast strong big guy"
    -Power rusher
    -on strongside so must be able to shed TE and Tackle runner
    - Must chip RB's on pass patterns
    -3 qualities- Big enough to stop the run- Agile enough for short zone coverage- Powerful enough to rush the QB

Ex. Willie Mcginest 6'5" 270/ Demarcus Ware 6'4" 255
    Ideal size 6'3"-6'5" 250-270 lbs
    Draft-Carpenter

Now fit your guys in according to that...

2. 1028

1028 Active Member

Sweet post :up: I agree with most of it but in many cases the ILBs have similar responsibilities, and the WILL might be asked to drop back into coverage. In many cases the WILL and SAM also switch responsibilities. In other words, the WILL and SAM have to be versatile enough to switch responsibilities, and do the MAC and MIKE. Basically the LBs are not always restricted to those specific sets of responsibilities. Not trying to be snide either, you probably knew this :beer:

Now, if we assign them their proper names, while keeping your notations...

1) Will- Thomas (draft a mid rounder for competition)
    2) Mac- Barton
    3) Mike- Vilma
    4) Sam- Carpenter (1st round pick)

...is the way I would like it

3. Welker83

Welker83 New Member

BB's 3-4 defense loves to mix it so yeah they all have added tasks and many different looks...Your line-up looks a lot better also

4. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

It will be Lawson. I think that Mangini realizes he needs another big OLB to run his 3-4 and I think he's targeting Lawson with that 29 or 35 overall.

5. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Seems no one wants to give Hobson a sniffle of a chance in a 3-4, a defense that he is built for...

Ellis

6. 1028

1028 Active Member

Hobson is indeed built for the 3-4, but at ILB, not OLB. Like Ive said in my previous posts, there is a huge diff btwn ILBs and OLBs in a 3-4, and you cant just shuffle the players around willy-nilly. I like Hobson, but unless he beats out Barton for the start, hes backing him up. I dont know how many years Barton has left on his contract, but when hes gone (I dont think we resign him), thats when I see Hobson stepping in

7. californiajet

californiajet Member

Really? Then how did mike Vrabel make this seemingly impossible move from outside to inside and excel??? Oh and Rosevelt colvin is far under 270 lbs. I think you have your facts wrong here. one of the OLB's can be a big time rush guy (ala mcginest) while the other is more suited to other aspects (vrabel).

I think we have a lot of versatility. IMO both Hobson and Barton have the ability to play OLB and ILB. I see Thomas and Hobson as the OLB with Chatum and hopefully a guy like Ray Edwards in the 3rd pushing them. Inside I see Vilma and Barton with Kassel providing depth and competition. I think we're in good shape

8. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

What i would like to see as our LB corps:

OLB: Eric Barton
    ILB: Jonathan Vilma
    ILB: Brad Kassell
    OLB: Bobby Carpenter/Vic Hobson/Bryan Thomas

9. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Rocky McIntosh and Spencer Havner are 2 really good LBs that can play inside or outside linebacker

10. 1028

1028 Active Member

It was easy for Vrabe to make the switch...lets take a look at Vrabel's skill sets...good blitzer and run defender, which is whats required for an OLB. Now lets look at an ILB's skill set...most important is runstuffing, which, as already mentioned, he is quite adept at. But the switch dosent work both ways. The ability to be a successful blitzer is KEY. Same with Colvin. He may not be the biggest guy, but he is a superb blitzer that makes up for it with technique. Both Barton and Hobson are good run stuffers, but to be a successful 34 OLB, they need to be great blitzers...and they are not. Edwards, however, if he does last to the 3rd round, is an intruiging pick, but Id rather have a guy like Carpenter who has experience in coverage (a player who I, BTW, liken to Colvin)

#30 1028, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  11. phatnols

phatnols Member

I think we are missing that speed rusher. That has to be addressed during draft.

I agree Hobson is inside and he will be competing with Kassell. its not like Kassell is amazing or anything remember what he signed for.
    Vilma(ILB) and Barton(OLB) are definites. Chatham I always thought of as deph and ST's and he will fill that role unless 2 people get hurt.

the player people are forgeting is Bryan Thomas he probably our speed rusher right now. he doesnt fit as an end in the 3-4. But he is supposedly edge speed rusher. He hasnt done jack yet but he is in his contract yr and maybe with a new coaching staff he could step up if we dont get that edge rusher. Also I dont like this idea but if all fails we can place hobson as that "edge guy" I am sure this will be addressed by training camp where we all know who belongs where.
    So in other wrds we need a Speed rusher somewhere(draft or FA but I dont see any unless we get Arrington(good luck))

12. 1028

1028 Active Member

Arrington would be a great fit as our SAM, if he actually stuck his responsibilities, but I dont think Mangini wants any freelancers out there. If he got his act together though, itd be a superb pickup and complete our corps

13. 1028

1028 Active Member

I agree...in the 4-3

Not in the 3-4

14. phatnols

phatnols Member

Arrington would be an excellent pickup but at what price.....and looking at the remianing FA's there are no Speed rushers(I always say BPA) but a speed rusher will be one of our picks in the 1st 3 rnds. then agian I wont be suprised if we dont pick one at all.

15. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

McClover is 226 and ran a 4.46 in the 40
    Sean Taylor is 232 believe or not ran a 4.54 in the 40 (thought he was faster than that)
    I say he moves to safety (# change)

16. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I like him but i dont where u put he seems to be to slow to be a 3-4 lb since he ran a 4.9 in the 40 and is 250 so he cant be and end in the 3-4.

17. 1028

1028 Active Member

Right now its looking like:

WILL: Thomas
    MAC: Barton
    MIKE: Vilma
    SAM: Hobson

18. Martin is the man

Do you really feel that Hobson has the speed and pass rush ability to play OLB in a 3-4?

19. 1028

1028 Active Member

Im not really too comfortable with Hobson at LB, but it will likely be the case for 06, unless we grab a guy like Ahmad Brooks through the supplemental draft. Im also liking LaMar Woodley out of Michigan for a 2nd/3rd round pick

20. 1028

1028 Active Member

Behind Thomas, Hobson's our best blitz backer, so he'll likely get the job, with Chatham as depth. Sadly at this point he may be our best bet. But we probably will upgrade this position thru the draft next year

#40 1028, May 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2005