OTAs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, May 20, 2024.

1. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

There's also the fact that having more "success" elsewhere than the Jets have had since firing him somehow makes him a good coach. Just because you've been more successful than arguably the worst franchise in professional sports doesn't automatically make you good at what you do. It just makes you better than the Jets, which is a bar that is so low that you could clear it simply by tripping over it.

2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…that’s why I didn’t understand Nagle’s post in reply to mine when he said “yah, like we’ve been any good since then” or something like that.

That response has NOTHING to do with the question of “Was Bowles a good HC?”

The fact that we sucked with him and continued to suck without him after he left does not mean he was a good HC. Fact is, BOTH could be true. He sucks as an HC. The Jets sucked with him and continued to suck without him after he left”. Both true statements.

Personally, I think Rex was a better HC than Bowles. And he WAS good for a couple of years. But since he didn’t know squat on offense, he couldn’t make it all the way to a Super Bowl, and once his stars slowed up a bit, he didn’t draft well enough (obviously in partnership with his GMs) to replace them, he fizzled out. But he still accomplished way more than Bowles did. His defenses were better ranked, and he had better success in the playoffs.

So not sure why all the love for Bowles…I just think he was another poor HC in a long line of poor HCs for this team since Parcells left.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

When a guy has been successful everywhere else but here and we sucked, before and after, I think you have to consider that he wasn’t the problem

barfolomew likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with everything save the bold. IMO the only way in which Rex was better than Bowles was that he at least had a couple of creative wrinkles on D (his exotic blitzes and his DL standing up and milling around until the ball was snapped), and he kept things more simple and fun. Once the rest of the NFL figured out those two wrinkles, Rex had nothing. Rex inherited a strong, disciplined team with great veteran leadership built by Mangini. Those two years, they played smart and didn't beat themselves. As soon as thoe veteran leaders were gone, they became very undisciplined. As most players coaches do when following a very strict disciplinarian, he enjoyed a bump for a couple of years, then the wheels fell off. Rex provided no leadership as he was too busy looking for a snack. He got rid of the veteran leadership, destroyed the chemistry, and things fell apart. I think Boyles would have gone further with those teams than Rex did. Bowles has done better in Tampa Bay than Rex did in Buffalo. Bowles at least is a serious coach. Rex is just a clown and he was a huge embarrassment to the Jets with his antics.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Shit on Rex all you want... but Ryan has the best postseason record of any Jet coach... by far.

His approach in his first two seasons is the blueprint that the Jets should follow this year

Stout defense and run the ball... a lot.

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Now we're getting wax poetic for the coach at the helm for one of the worst JETS season ending meltdowns ever?

jets_fan likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Are you refering to Bowles?

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

No, but he sucked here as HC too

LAJet likes this.
  9. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that, in the OTA thread, "we're" worried about a long gone coach. Regardless of your opinions, Bowles has been in the playoffs a whole lot lately. Does not matter how he got there, he got there. Personally, I'd take a couple of years of playoff football in Jet land. Does it matter HOW they get there. You get into the "dance" and all bets are off.

Seriously, we're having a discussion about Todd Bowles? How about a little more focus on our current prima donna of a QB and our stain of a coaching staff/F.O?

NYJalltheway likes this.
  10. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Hassan is in Tokyo Japan enjoying his vacation. So he gave us his word and now acting as if he doesn’t have a job to do this upcoming season. We always find a way to be in these kinds of situations, this is crazy

Lon Chaney likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spot on. To me this is far and away a more concerning issue that AR providing notification months ago before even the schedule went out. He attended every OTA and provided serious inputs on the running of the offense, helping the OL,RB and WR corps along the way. Hassan has done fuck nothing and shown zero commitment to this team.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

When are they supposed to take their vacation?

Ralebird and NOVAJET like this.
  13. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Holdouts are part of the game--but Reddick appears to be the only holdout who was traded for this season. Maybe that's why other GM's weren't jumping in on him. Philly must be feeling great.

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

They have five months to do so

JetFanInNE likes this.
  15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

They absolutely are. They basically traded their disgruntled pass rusher for our promising, up and coming pass rusher. The Eagles made out very well in that series of transactions.

HomeoftheJets, Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

Not exactly or even basically , they are on the hook for over $50 million with Huff

NOVAJET likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

I wish they were both at minicamp but Reddick is a mercenary pass rusher in the final year of his contract.

Rodgers is the supposed team leader owed over $100 million more on his contract. Far more concerning that he wasn’t at minicamp

18. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

When he misses Training camp I'll pull out the pitch fork. As far as Reddick...seems so SOJ like

LAJet, Nyjets4eva and mezzavo like this.
  19. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Relax, let's wait till camp to start getting panties in a bunch.

20. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

dawinner127 likes this.