OTAs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, May 20, 2024.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You absolutely, positively, undeniably do not know that. In GB he did not attend OTAs either. Different set of circumstances, different level of commitment. He notified the Jets with plenty of time the specific Dante’s he would not be available, had nothing whatsoever to do with not wanting to practice in minicamp.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

See thats the thing he blew off Green Bay where they drafted, developed, and paid him well for 17 years. But we think he has a different level of commitment to the NY Jets? why?

the commitment is different from the Jets. Aaron Rodgers is the same guy here as he was in GB (albeit older and more injured)

Rodgers blows off minicamp to get high or go on vacation or both. That is who he is. The only difference is Green Bay got sick of it and now the Jets are the ones enabling it

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but I'd say that a guy who has been here for OTAs two straight seasons, and who focused on helping Zach last year, and the young receivers, plus took a big pay cut last year to help the team out is plenty committed.

Would you have been happier if he had skipped the 2nd week of OTAs or skipped OTAs altogether, but been here for the 2-3 days of mini-camp?

nycarl, Nyjets4eva, LAJet and 2 others like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

I’ll be happier when/if he doesn’t miss anything, including 17 games

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I thought for a while that I'd be happy getting to the playoffs.

But now I'm thinking we have to be at least AFC Champs or all this is for nothing.

6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

He's in an unbelievably soft division and "won" the division one of those years with a losing record. He did a terrible job here with the Jets and, while perhaps he's better in Tampa Bay, he's still not a great head coach and will be most likely unemployed once someone else in that division raises their game to somewhere near the level of respectability.

nycarl, mezzavo, Jets79 and 1 other person like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

Bowles is a good coach. It didn’t work out here but it often doesn’t work out for a coach on his first stop. He’s evolved.

Also, back to back division titles is nothing to scoff at, especially since our Jets haven’t won 2 division titles in like 40 years

azhar80 likes this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Totally disagree…Bowles is FAR from a good coach. He won two division titles in a totally shit division, and wasn’t one of them with a losing record? He sucks. He sucked here and he’s no better in Tampa. He’s just lucky to win a division with like a 9-7 record or something like that.

Terrible

Nyjets4eva and jets_fan like this.
  9. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Correct. And that year he had Brady at QB. Then ousted in the Wild Card round by the Cowboys, who seem to be allergic to winning in the postseason.

Sadly, Bowles is the best of the coaches the Jets have had in the past decade, but that's pretty faint praise considering his competition is a duo in Saleh and Gase that will most likely go down as two of the worst coaches this franchise has ever had.

Since1969 likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

ok yah and we’re killing it without him

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Say what you will but AR gave 100% on the field for GB his entire career and played hurt. He does not miss games. GB meantime did very little to add offensive weapons to help him win.

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Not sure what that response means.

No…clearly we suck. We sucked with Gase. We sucked with Saleh. We sucked with Bowles.

Just because Gase and Saleh have sucked doesn’t mean that Bowles was any good.

They all suck!

I would say if we go back on our coaches over the last 20 years or so, kinda feels like Rex was the best of the bunch since the Parcells days…or at least he accomplished the most.

We’ll see what Saleh can do with a healthy Rodger’s…that will be the test for him.

LAJet and Nyjets4eva like this.
  13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

That's been the hope. I don't think it's necessary to go that far back Vinny, Chad and even Fitzpatrick put together some special seasons I'd be happy with the best QB play since Ryan Fitzpatrick 2015.

But he has to do it and the reality is he's in his 40s coming off a serious injury and there are 2 young QBs in the division in their prime haven't missed time and are honing their game to a razor's edge this offseason while Rodgers decided to take a vacation during mandatory minicamp.

Let's hope in January hopefully February 2025 this is forgotten about.

14. BrowningNagle

Bowles doesn't suck. He did a good job in Miami and now 2 division titles as HC in Tampa. Before that he was assistant coach of the year in Arizona and won a superbowl as DC doing something nobody else can, shutting down Patrick Mahomes. It is just simply wrong to say he sucks

if we look back on his time here, there were literally seasons where they opened with one of the mcclowns as the everyday starting QB. Robbie Anderson was our only offensive weapon, hes like option 5 on a normal team. I'm not sure why we were expecting miracles with that sad sack roster

If Bowles had Rex's talent he probably accomplishes the same thing, maybe more

15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

In the games I've watched I haven't noticed Bowles to be good and I don't recall exactly what happened but last year he made a real bonehead move at end of game that cost his team big time and I'm under the impression that it was not a rarity. Maybe someone else recalls it.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That 9-7 record is better than all but one year the Jets had since 2011. And he did it with Baker Mayfield, a middle of the road QB, and a roster people were projecting to be bad. He's not a top 10 coach, but he wasn't the problem here. Fans just scapegoat the coach because they spend the offseason getting all excited about the splashy moves the GM makes, so they'll never hold him accountable because it means they were wrong too.

17. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

When Bowles was on the Jets, his clock management was awful and his 4th down decisions often failed. I'm sure he's improved a bit since then, but the Bucs team he coached had a lot more talent than the Jets did. Aside from that fluky year with Fitzpatrick, where the Jets SHOULD have made the playoffs but got outcoached and outplayed by Rex Ryan and a much weaker Bills team in the final week of the season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Wow…plenty of defense for Bowles as an HC … kinda surprising to me but hey, to each their own.

We just disagree. No problem.

Personally, no I don’t think he’s a good coach…or to put it another way, would you want him back here as HC? I sure wouldn’t.

- 2 division titles in Tampa…ok…he had Brady for one, and that division sucks…I think one was with a 9-7 record and the other with a losing record…so yeah…that shit doesn’t mean he’s a good coach…it means he sucked less than the other shit teams in the division. Come on…it’s not like he won 13 games there…he scraped by.

- Asst coach in Arizona…ok great…but it’s a big step from coordinator to HC, as we know all too well with Saleh…and hey, at least Saleh fielded a top 5 D, as did Rex…I’d have to go back and check how Bowles’ defenses ranked but I don’t think they were top ten let alone top 3…and he was a defensive guy

Look, I totally agree with the comments around him not being the only issue here…for sure our talent base wasn’t great, and we had Mac at that time, no? So clearly we had issues above and beyond just the HC.

But that doesn’t mean that he was a GOOD coach. He was not the ONLY problem, sure, but he was definitely part of the problem.

So to me, the test is would you want him back? If you believe he’s a good HC, then I assume the answer would most likely be yes?

But for me, it’d be a HELL NO. I don’t think he’s a good HC.

But I’ve no problem disagreeing on that…

LAJet, jets_fan and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I agree. Getting outcoached by Rex was a disgrace. By that point, everyone and their brother knew who Rex was and what he was gonna do on D. He had nothing new up his sleeve.

nycarl and barfolomew like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Excellent post! Part of Bowles problem is that like most former DCs or defensive coaches, they're too conservative. They want to win with D and running the ball. They play not to lose rather than going for the win. A HUGE flaw in that approach was Bowles' DC was his best friend (I've blanke on his name) and he was AWFUL. That was a situation where the D and team would have been better off if Bowles had focused on the D and been the de facto DC. There were a couple of games where his DC had to miss and Bowles was the DC for those games, and the D looked like a totally different and much better defense. Fitzmagic, Brandon Marshall and Quincy Enunwa carried that team, with assistance from Robbie Chosen (Anderson) and Matt Forte.

BrooklynJetsFan and Jets79 like this.