Options at QB for 2009

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by firemanedjr, Jan 6, 2009.

?

QB in '09?

1. Brett Favre

37 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Kellen Clemens

52 vote(s)
    20.1%
  3. Brett Ratliff

111 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Kurt Warner

6 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Jeff Garcia

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Grossman/Boller

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. Derek Anderson

9 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. Billy Volek

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. Mark Sanchez

23 vote(s)
    8.9%
  10. Tim Tebow

10 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

Let Clemens and Ratliff compete and that will take care of your #1 & #2 spots. If we dont see a QB we like in this years draft, leave Ainge on as the #3. I would think out of 3 picks that at least one of these guys could step up and be a good leader. With a new coach coming in who knows what the upcoming season will be like so why put a stopgap measure in at QB. Let one of our young guys grow with the system and coaches. They already are familiar with the guys around them and that is half the battle. If we were really one or two pieces away from a Superbowl run, maybe I would have a different view.

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I said Clemens. But I'd also be happy with Ratliff if he's ready.

OK, and who said Favre???

3. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

KC - Kerry Collins :wink:

4. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

It's amazing how many people are in love with a QB that was average at best for a low tier Div 1 school in college and has proved nothing more than he is an NFL practice squad player.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

But he threw 2 AWESOME PASSES in PRESEASON! :smile:

6. MondayNightMiracles

Ima also go with Tebow. You all are very down on his mechanics and arm strength, but ive seen him in gville since he started, and i see very little with both issies and such upside it blows my mind. i say draft tebow in the 3rd or 4th and let Ratliff and Clemens battle it out in preseason.
    then we cna do what the gators did 3 years ago when they won the championsip. Let tebow sit and learn and occasionally put him in there on qb sneaks and trick plays.
    Tebow WILL be something special in the NFL.

7. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Once again, my suggestion:

[​IMG]

8. songster67

songster67 New Member

Was Brad Smith on the depth chart at QB or WR? If QB, cut him. Bring in a veteran as soon as free agency starts (Warner, Collins, Kitna, or Garcia) and let there be an open competition between the signing, Clemens and Ratliff with the 3rd place finisher getting cut. Keep Ainge as a potential development prospect.

9. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

QBs like Tebow never excelled in the NFL. I don't want him.

10. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Interesting. I wonder if those voting for Ratty understand he is an undrafted 2007 free agent that only played spead option offense at Utah, who was very uneven in his one year playing there as a junior college transfer, with repeated multiple interception games and who has to my knowledge never taken a snap against a first (or even second) team opposing defense? And that Mangini was joking in camp that it took so long for him to get some plays off that it might require an Act of Congress to achieve it.

I'm not saying he can't get better, but ... I'm just sayin' that maybe someone has to interject a little reality into the discussion here. Two long bombs against camp scrubs in Q4 of final preseason games & you guys are ready to anoint him -- by a HUGE margin -- as an upgrade, even though Ratliff had a higher interception % in college the last year he started regularly (2006) than Fare did in the NFL that year -- and that was not one of Favre's better years! From his days as a Ute:
    Sound like another quarterback you saw play a lot this year? LOL.

p.s. while looking into who this kid is, I found an amazing coincidence I hadn't known about before, and which is pretty ironic given it's possible Favre might be indecisive about retiring again:

11. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Clemens. Or Ratliff if he can beat him out.

12. GreenMachine

Since when is Tebow coming out? I bet he stays at Florida.

13. ras91dub

ras91dub Guest

:cool:

#33 ras91dub, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2020
  14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I voted for Clemens. Favre is definitely retiring IMO.

Clemens has had the opportunity to learn for 3 years and also has half a season of experience as a starter. Granted he didn't look good that season, but I don't believe any first time starter could have excelled on that team.

I also like what Ratliff showed in the preseason and am most impressed by the tremendous progress he made from year one to year two. He was on the brink of being cut, and could hardly even call a play in year one. In year two he was making a case for being the #2 guy over Clemens. If he continues to make that type of progress he could be very good.

So I wouldn't mind either Clemens or Ratliff.

#34 WhiteShoeWillis, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  15. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I voted for Sanchez. If one of our internal qb's develops, great, but we still need to draft someone considering that none of them could win the job last year.

Tebow is not a NFL qb. He has never dropped back in a pocket and Urban Meyer has admitted that he does not allow Tebow to do it in his offense because he doesn't think Tebow has good enough footwork. That will not work in the NFL. Kiper projects him as an H-back and that sounds like a good assesment.

Sanchez comes from a NFL offense. He has the mechanics and all other intangibles to be a great NFL qb. He would be a steal at 17.

16. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

I vote Clemens, with a high draft pick, hopefully it gives Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers syndrome to Clemens and he plays his ass off, then we have a great QB controversy, not the shitty kind

17. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

The only way Tebow comes out is if he wins the national championship, and even then he might still come back.

18. Determination#4

Determination#4 New Member

Brett Ratliff may be the long term future of this franchise but if you want a shot at going deep into the playoffs you would want Favre right now !!

Why would anyone want to throw young Ratliff to the wolves just yet is beyond me. Even Brett; with all his experience had to take 30 sacks this year so why some of you are willing to subject a rookie to that has me very confused.

Give the kid another year to develop while the team comes together a little more, while taking another shot at the playoffs seems like the best option to me.

This way you have a shot at the SB next year while allowing Ratliff to develop a little more for the future !!

19. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

this is a scary post :(

i would have to figure out what the cs felt about the 3 guys we will have here next year, clemens, ratliff and ainge. however we dont have a cs yet to let us know what they feel about the guys that i expect to be on the roster in 60 days.

if they feel clemens can be the answer, which i personally do not think they will then we stand pat and do nothing. let clemens have the job with the understanding that if he fucks it up that ratliff will be there.

if ratliff is the guy then we get a free agent to hold over until he is ready, i dont personally think he is ready but i very well could be wrong.

if ainge is the guy see the above, obviously one of the others would have to go and i dont know their contract situations or which is the better qb right now.

if none of those guys are the guy then its time to figure out which of these guys in the draft are going to be the one. i would think again that if they drafted a qb at 17 that they would have to go out and get a free agent for the year, i just dont see the jets trying to rebuild with the current roster. too many guys that have too many years.

when the dolphins game started it was amazing to look at the rosters as they went through them the dollfags had so many 2nd year, 3rd year and rookie guys. meanwhile the jets guys were all 4th year through 8th year guys. this team needs to win in the next 2 years or it may be a complete and total rebuild all over again.

then again maybe they decide to start that this year, however with psls and the new stadium coming i highly doubt that happens. its amazing how many times a team has opened a new stadium and had a very good team on the field in the same year.

20. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I'm voting for Ratliff myself, but not because I have any reason to believe that he would make the best starting QB next year, I just think it's a lot more exciting to watch a new young guy with potential get his chance than to see yet another vet/journeyman lead the Jets for a year or two before taking his leave again.

Of course if they do end up bringing in a FA and it works out well for the Jets, I'd be as happy as anyone, but since it won't be decided for quite some time to come, for now I'm hoping that Ratliff gets his shot and tears it up for us.

I think the overwhelming vote for the kid is more of a hopeful sentiment than a logical one.