Optimism running a little out of control

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DeathByJets, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

DbJ, I know what youre trying to do, but it isn't needed. People always go overboard, whether it's on the good or bad side. Let them enjoy it however they want.

ou are right that there are still questions to be answered about this team, such as bouncing back from a bad win, or how they handle the success of being an elite team, if they make it to that level. Can Ryan keep then playing at this level all season without it going to their heads? Will this team follow the lead of last seasons team and play down to the level of the competition? Can Sanchez keep playing at this level even when teams have more tape to study? All very legitimate questions, but I don't believe that should stop people from loving the football that has been played the last few weeks. And if some of the fella's want to go a bit overboard in their expectations of the season, then let them. As Jets fans, we aren't used to our team playing at this level, and they aren't sure how to handle it :) Just let 'em enjoy how they want, bud.

2. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

day by day, thats the only easy way to see our current state

3. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

what exactly is the point of this thread? To make fans feel bad for being optimistic? To dampen enthusiasm? Its the equivalent of taking a dump in the punchbowl.

4. Jam.

Jam. Banned

I think what "darksiders" are basically trying to say is, we are the Same Old Jets until we win a Super Bowl.

EDIT: Which I tend to agree with.

5. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Last year the optimism was hilarious- I was firmly convinced the Jets were a team with a ton of flaws, starting with the QB last season.

The team this season has me far more excited.

I did laugh at all the people thinking the Jets were Super Bowl bound last year though

6. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Not sure what the point is though. Tomorrow we play the Titans. The focus should be on that game. Beat the tits. Thats all that matters. worrying about whether other people are too optimistic is just fucking stupid. Worry about your own sour state of mind and try to figure out why you feel the need to piss on a campfire.

7. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i think you make very valid points....i do think these are reasons to be realistic but fans will typically run rampant with a start like this....the optimism should be very high given this start

but i think saying theres no way TENN beats us is ludacris...i also dont know how someone can say that....this game is very dangerous...i'm really curious to see how the jets respond to beating a team with a lesser record....this is a game the jets historically lose....if this team is truely different, this willl be a great example of how.

tenn scares me...lets not forget last year they were a very very good team....this year they start 0 - 2 (we ended their undefeated streak don't think they forgot that) and they are desperate...meanwhile we are coming off an emotional win against the pats and are missing two defensive backs.

i'm really curious to see how tommorow pans out.

8. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I went back and read my original post and I guess I am at a loss for how you read it as this. With a screen name like yours, you've obviously been around long enough to know this team has never finished better than 12-4. All I am really trying to do is caution people not to be pissed off if this team finishes 10-6, because they were thinking home-field-advantage throughout the playoffs. I am very excited by this team, and can't wait for tomorrow's game. It is going to be a fun season, but (for me anyway) it is too early to set the bar exceedingly high. Obviously, lots of you disagree with me.

9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i agree...i dont think this is a stop being excited thread...its more of a i'm excited but lets look at these issues...which i think are valid points

10. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

Theres winning and then theres misery lets just keep winning

11. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I've been a a Jets fan for my whole life. A bit too young to remember the SB. I guess I don't see the point in trying to caution people to lower their hopes and expectations. If someone wants to believe we are going 12-4 GREAT !! I hope they are right. If someone wants to hope we run the table GREAT !! If some fans are too young, optimistic or unsophisticated to appreciate how unlikely that scenario is - then I say good for them. Enjoy the ride. And if somebody might be pissed if the team doesn't surpass the '72 dolphins. Then that is their problem not mine. I really like this team and this HC. I love the way this team has started the season and I love having a kick ass defense. The old style bend don't break defense was hideous to watch and almost totally ineffective against good teams. Death by a thousand cuts. I want to see Kerry Collins running for his life tomorrow being chased by a swarming marauding green tidal wave. I want to see our OL opening holes and watch TJ and Leon run that ball right down their throats. I am not the least bit concerned with managing expectations of neophytes by trying to downplay this team.

We were told by some on here that the Texans would be very tough to beat, that we shouldn't rile up the vaunted patriots because they would play extra hard. Now the prognosticators are predicting that there is no way a Jeff Fisher team will go 0-3. I say Bull puckies !! Lets just get out there like a pack of wild dogs and rip it up. This is the NFL - its pretty much wide open as far as I can see. We have a hot team playing under a really fun new coach and a new system with an emerging young star at QB. We have an excellent OL, and a Defense that has yet to yield a TD. Lets be optimistic !!!

12. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I'm down .

13. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kEryR5wj9o[/youtube]

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

this thread can go fuck itself!!!!!!!!!!!!

3-0 YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

that being said, the Saints will probably win at home next week.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Wow, you are being a litttle too optimistic on this thread's ability to f*ck.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^ hahahahaha

17. ........

........ Trolls

I'm not going to jump on DBJ, because I respect the guy, but I hope after today, his perspective's a bit different.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I respect him too. He writes beautiful posts. But I wasn't going to have metaphorical rain on my parade when it was still going on, even though it was raining today.

I do however, believe the Saints win next week.

Thats not SOJ and i'm not blinded by retarded optimism. The Saints are the better team.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I'll reserve judgement....the game still has to be played.

And I'll take a stifling defense over an explosive offense anyday. (see Giants SuperBowl win).

20. jets&rushfan

jets&rushfan New Member

I like the Jets at home, not sure of a dome, but when in Rome we take a win home.

Rex I Am