Opinion Poll Of Jets from Yester-years: Fred Baxter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by biggundewayne63, Feb 7, 2007.

1. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

haha yes he was

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The 93 Washington game was the first thing I thought of, too, with Ditka doing the game. We had an amazing amount of yardage in that game and only 3 points. Coslet's last month as coach has to go down as one of the most bizarre overall periods in Jets history, and that is saying a lot.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

^^ good stuff. I associate Fred Baxter with the Kotite years and he also played for the Patriots. Can't get fired up for the guy.

4. sect105

sect105 New Member

It was extremely cold that day, and in New York we got the first winter storm of the year ad had 2 inches of snow.

5. Italian Seafood

There was a game at New England a week or so before the Redskin game that was a total monsoon, it could have been confused with that game. That was also a win with no TDs, 6-3 or 3-0, something to that effect.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

6-0 but you are right that ahd everything to do w/ the weather though looking back at our O down the stretch maybe the weather wasn't as big of a factor? we were terrible down the stretch. We scored 36 points in our last 6 games for an average of 6 PPG. No wonder we choked away the playoffs.

7. Italian Seafood

The weather, schedule and media all combined to stick it to Coslet, in my opinion. And his golden boy QB didn't save him when he needed him to.

8. nyjunc

we scored a total of 15 points in games against 5-11 NE, 4-12 Indy and 4-12 Washington. I can give a pass for the monsoon game but how do you score 9 total points in 8 qtrs of football against Indy and washington?

9. Italian Seafood

Well the Washington game we've been discussing, you can't put that one on the coaches. We had over 300 yards of offense, Johnson ran for over 100. Between the snap off the guy's head on the FG and F Bax dropping a TD, that's at least 10 points we left on the field and still won the game. New England was weather, at Buffalo was weather, a missed kick and a Super Bowl team, Dallas was a dynasty in its prime and Houston was on an 11-game winning streak.

The Indy game I'll give you, and that was Coslet's biggest problem, he would lose those types of games. For all the bitching people do about us beating bad teams with Chad, those of us old enough to remember the alternative will take it, no?

10. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

Now Brad Baxter was a sure TD inside the 5 yard line.:)

11. asbcheeks

asbcheeks Member

In addition to all the end zone drops, I vaguely recall him jumping to catch a 2pt conversion, then as he was coming down, looking down in an attempt to very deliberately land inbounds, only to land with one foot over the line anyway. I believe that play contributed to us losing a game, but I could be wrong. That play always epitomized Baxter's goalline ineptitude for me. Does anyone else remember this?

12. nyjunc

I do remember that, I think that was the Indy game in '98.

13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Actually, that may have been the '99 season opener play I mentioned before. In fact, I think it was, he cost us 2 points there in a two point game...........

14. nyjunc

I remember the play but for some reason I am thinking Indy. It may have been NE but I do remember going nuts on that play.

15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Coslet had a lot of bad luck but that month is what cost him his job. He took it where it hurt most, the offense - his pride and joy. Boomer had a neck condition which affected his passing but the Jets had a great running game and a good OL. Freak things kept happening, dropped passes, penalties, missed FG's, bad snaps, you name it. The NE game was played in a monsoon so you can't blame them for only scoring 6 points but the Washington game was perfect football weather against a bad team, the Colts game was a battle against the wind which should have favored the Jets. A fourth quarter screen pass to Chris Burkett turned into a 77 yard completion down the sideline that would have been a TD with any other WR (Burkett was slow). The Jets were forced to kick a FG to tie the game 6-6. The Colts drove into long FG range with only two minutes left but were going against the wind and elected to go for it on fourth down. They didn't convert giving the Jets the ball in good field position and no timeouts left for the Colts. What happens? First play Boomer underthrows an open receiver and is picked off, the Colts run it back into Jets territory and Supeli Malamala hits the guy out of bounds tacking on 15 more yards. The Colts run the clock down and kick a FG to win 9-6. Then the loss in frigid Buffalo when Blanchard misses three field goals, the shut out in houston when the Jets really never came close to scoring except a long missed FG before the half - December of 1993 was just a bunch of ineptitude and it cost Coslet his job.

16. nyjunc

I don't care what the circumstances were 15 pts against 3 awful teams is unacceptable.