Once Again, the Problem Is That There Are So Many Problems

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Sep 24, 2023.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't have time to run the numbers, but there has to be a legitimate possibility that since the Darnold draft, the Jets have had the worst stretch of offenses of any franchise in any major sport, maybe ever, right?

It feels like our offense has been last or nearly last in every single season over that span. You watch any other team, even the other worst offenses, and it feels like they're playing by different rules than us. We aren't just bad on offense, we can't do ANYTHING. It's like watching a high school offense being forced to play NFL teams.

HomeoftheJets, Jets79, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Idk, the Denver Broncos were dead last a year ago in offense.

The Jets barely edged them out so they went ahead and hired Denver's offensive playcaller and designer haha

3. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Bingo.... f they continue to play him, an I to old to watch this S*** anymore, he may become the 1st player ever to be the worst QB in the league (think about that distinction) three years running.

4. REVISion

Not going to run the numbers for other sports, maybe someone can help me out there, but here's where we've finished in PPG over the last few seasons:

2023, so far: Worst
    2022: 4th worst
    2021: 5th worst
    2020: Worst
    2019: 2nd worst
    2018: 10th worst

And YPG:

2023 so far: Worst
    2022: 8th worst
    2021: 7th worst
    2020: Worst
    2019: Worst
    2018: 4th worst

My god, wtf are we doing here?

We've finished no better than 10th worst in PPG or YPG in any of the last 5-6 seasons, and we're usually bottom 5. The passing numbers are probably even uglier. We aren't just bad, we are the exact opposite of what a good team is.

This has to be among the worst 5-6 year stretches on offense for any franchise in any major sport in the modern era.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This is true.

Zach stinks and everyone knows it. But really the entire offense stinks. Garrett is the only one whose done anything the last two weeks. Yesterday we had 22 carries for 38 yards. The week before our backs had 12 carries for 24 yards. That basically 34 wasted plays the last two games. Its hard to win games when you average 1.8 yards a rush. Blame run blocking, play calling, whatever. We just stink.

REVISion and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  6. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

One last point, if this team does not stat win games, then we need new CS and maybe a GM too.

Borat and TheAustrian like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m just about done with the first down shotgun A-gap halfback dive.

ouchy likes this.
  8. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Every coach across the NFL knows Zach Wilson cannot play QB, so they simply play the run on every down, thus we cant run it either.

When your QB cant complete high school level passes, teams can sell out to stop the run. It’s not that complicated.

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Agreed teams can key on the run because Zach sucks. But our play calling is also way to predictable, and we are weak up front. We need some innovation.

IIMeanDeanII and REVISion like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

So predictable. Hackett sucks

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

my view is that it’s really just one problem…QB

If we have a decent QB who can see and hit open guys, then that opens everything up. Our OL is not great shakes, but they are good enough if you have a real NFL QB. Same with the running game…if you have to respect the pass, our OL and backs are good enough.

But when you have a non factor at QB, the defense can just tee off.

Fix the QB and it’ll be amazing how much better our OL and receivers and backs look.

Not fucking rocket science

12. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

This season is done. From the high hopes we had to what we are seeing, its so demoralizing. All we want is ok QB play, when you have Romo pointing out all the open receivers he can hit when he is locked in on a covered player just makes it so hard to watch. I just cant watch Zach and his play. Its soul destroying.

I had hopes that the D would be good to watch at least, but they are just like before. Bend a lot and maybe don't break too much but come up against a good O like Dallas and we get trashed. Of course they spend so much time on the field it must be hard for them to get pumped to keep coming back out onto the field and save the day.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It starts and ends with Zach Wilson.
    All we need is average quarterback play to win games.

If we had just scored the league average 23 points over the last 18 games... we'd be at 15-3
    They are wasting a (potentially) great team by continually putting Zach under center.

Zach had three chances in the 4th qtr. to win the game yesterday... and pissed away every one.
    157 yards... 50% comp. ratio... 0 TD's. That's a disgusting performance for a 3rd year QB with 25 starts under his belt.
    Especially with the talent surrounding him.

I don't know why they keep handing the job to Zach Wilson... it seems incredibly stupid.
    There must be a reason they didn't bring in a viable QB... even as a backup for Zach.

Now we're stuck with a QB who is rated 33rd in the league. He's actually worse than his previous seasons.
    No team can win games with that liability on their roster.

It's insane that Douglas & Saleh are willing to risk their careers on Zach Wilson.
    The locker room is on the verge of collapse... we all saw it on the sidelines.
    The players couldn't wait to bail after the game... and it's only going to get worse.

I've softly defended Zach for two years... hoping that the game would come to him and he could capitalize
    on his God given athletic talent and that sweet arm.of his.

But it's time.
    Time to put him on the bench or on the bus... I don't care.
    It's not fair to the team and it's especially not fair to the fans.
    We've suffered way too much over the years to be put in the position of supporting this nonsense any longer.

I can't watch the team I've loved for 50+ years commit hari-kari by putting this inept player on the field.

Sorry for the long post... but I'm fed up with this shit.

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’d vote for the fucking bus

Cut his worthless ass…watch the whole team rally around whomever they bring in

Enough is enough…there is no fucking silver lining with this kid…he’s just not an NFL QB

He has the arm, he has the athleticism, but he doesn’t have the head for it

Will never work

Acad23 and Borat like this.
  15. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

It actually may be much worse (or alternatively-- not so bad) than that because PPG stats and YPG stats don't take into account the number of possessions teams get, nor do they differentiate points scored by the defense or special teams (TD returns/ safeties caused, etc.). Points and yards per possession are better measures of an NFL offense's efficiency and effectiveness and allows try vis-a-vis comparison with other offenses. Unfortunately those stats are not as widely kept and we have to assume all NFL teams have roughly the same amount of D/ST take-aways and points scored (which we know isn't actually true).

hmmmmm what is the common denominator? A: Offensive line! Fitz's magical season was about the last time the Jets had a competent offense and it was right around the time D'Brick and Mangold were getting long in the tooth. Since they retired The Jets have cobbled together offensive lines and poorly developed the offensive linemen drafted.

16. REVISion

Yeah good points regarding PPG and YPG. I just wanted to get a rough idea of the ineptitude.

I'd say the common denominators have been numerous though - bad OL, bad QB, and bad OC. Which is kind of the point of this thread, almost everything sucks.

ColoradoContrails and teamgreen like this.
  17. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Wilson sucks and always will. He is the entire problem. But, not bringing in any qb at all as soon as Rodgers was injured is malpractice. So was the whole qb room aside from Rodgers. No plan at all for a Rodgers injury of any kind. When constructing the team, trading Wilson for a 7th would have removed his salary which could have been spent on a legit backup like Mike White.

18. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

With all the shameless overhype and oversell that transpired during the offseason, what are the chances the Jets would be running back the same 2022 season script? Yeah, pretty much no chance, unless of course, such a repeat scenario wasn't left up to chance and was willed by some mysterious force.

Since Rodgers running back the '08 Favre script was nixed very early into the production, they inexplicably decided to run back the '22 Zach script instead. Or so they would have you believe it is inexplicable, just like they are having you believe it was bad luck they are in this position.

Imagine wagering on what would become a Zach led team to win a Super Bowl, or even a division title for that matter? Wonder how many naive suckers they caught with that nicely laid out trap?

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Not sure where to put this. But has anyone seen the story about Sauce claiming Mac Jones purposely hit him in the nuts? :confused:

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

teamgreen likes this.