"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

How to hire a Qb coach w/o actually hiring a Qb coach? Make him the 3rd string Qb and never activate him. He's always on the sidelines and usually in civvies. With his physical condition, that's exactly where he needs to be unless he wants to be Earl Campbell II.

2. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

We beat teams at home catching them off guard. What have we done on the road to make you think our playoff appearance would be meaningful? How is our schedule favorable? We play some of the best defenses in football. All those teams are circling us as a win too. I think 8-8 is possible, but that in no way will be a playoff spot, we don't have the conference tiebreakers.

I think this team grows more for 2014 by missing the playoffs and making more drastic changes.

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Time to draft a QB.

And NO. You should stay away from Air Raid QBs like a plague. [Geno happens to be one. No wonder, eh?]

4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

If they start Simms, good, we might make the playoffs.

If they don't, good, all the genomaniacs will have to admit at seasons end that he is a bust and we put ourselves in a better position to draft manziel

#1204 74, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  5. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I foresee a bad game for Geno tomorrow, I just hope Rex is smart enough to put Sims in when we still have a chance to win.

6. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

matt simms is not a playoff lynchpin just because he hasn't been in enough circumstances to make his own mistakes.

a chance of him being fantastic and everything we could ever want doesn't supersede a more likely result of him playing like an inexperienced player thats got his own issues to work through.

some of you are acting as if he IS an improvement rather than he MIGHT be one and not acknowledging the fact that even that chance is rather low. If it was that obvious wouldn't the coaches that want a playoff berth and a GM that wants his job to be easier want him in? theres no incentive NOT to start him if he's such an ace in the hole, which means more than likely he's probably not anywhere further than smith if he's even equal.

Its Tebow all over again but with a decent preseason outing replacing a playoff win. geno smith hasn't been perfect, I'm not some blind fanboy, but please for the love of sanity stop thinking Simms shit don't stank either.

7. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

You do NOT catch teams "off guard" in the NFL...especially when you have a top 10 defense. You do NOT catch teams "off guard" in the NFL...especially when you have already beaten Atlanta and N.E. N.O. is really the measuring stick. Not only did they know the Jets were capable but you also have the "Ryan" bowl to notch up the intensity.

You are correct. We have done nothing on the road...let's hope that changes tomorrow. The last time I checked WE are one of the best defenses in football. We do not need to own tie breakers....IF we win. Time will tell.

I'm not predicting anything....with my luck they'll start Geno the rest of the way and we'll blow it. It really pisses me off about the people happy to "wait and grow" for 2014...what if I get hit by a truck? What if a female serial killers tracks me down? Who gives a fuck about 2014? I don't...not until 2014....

8. DanR

DanR Active Member

If Ravens are smart, they will stack the box like Bills did last week. Seems like an easy and effective defensive strategy.

9. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Good for you, you saved the best til last. *sigh*

That is why our fanbase/team is accused of having no ambition and why we have SOJFs saying how much we 'suck this year'.

Get a grip and deal with what looks to be a proper rebuild program (for once).
    It might take time but in the long term should see us as a powerhouse for years to come. Look at the prototype teams that constantly make the POs....

As for Geno, I would love him to suceed and be given every chance, but come 2014 TC hope that we will once again have an HONEST FAIR QB competition. This is the mantra that we keep hearing about and I'm sure the hacks will remind Idzek and Co come TC next year.

Until then lets hope our team plays lights out football and strives to get better.

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

It is funny how Geno's defenders who are still sticking with the start Geno philosophy despite the mounting evidence that it may be a bad idea are using the term SOJF in an attempt to insult those that would like to see our favorite team put its best foot forward and make the playoffs now.

First of all the NFL is a cut throat, competitive league where there are many rules in place (salary cap, draft order, free agency) to keep teams from holding any advantage for long. While it does take more than one year to build a winner or for a player to reach his potential, most players understand that poor play will land you on the bench or even out of a job even if you were a high draft pick or will cost your team a salary cap hit to cut (although these things do help to an extent).

Anyone who has been a fan of this team going back to the Coslet or even Kotite era (or in many cases even earlier) has repeatedly had their hearts ripped out year after year as our team has taunted us with the prospect of a strong post-season appearance only to fail in the playoffs or fall short (many times by losing the last game of the regular season) of making the playoffs to begin with.

Meanwhile, our co-tenants has won a few championships and our division rivals (first Dolphins, then Bills, now Patriots) have built dynasties on the backs of hall of fame QBs. For those of us crazy enough to continue to root for this team after all we have been through decade after decade SOJF should be a badge of honor.

While our expectations may fall short of reality, the law of averages is well in out favor and we have earned the right to want more from this team and to be critical of those who we believe to be holding it back.

Right now I think it would be better for Geno to take a step back and observe the game from the bench than to throw him out there to get beaten and humiliated if all we can expect is a similar outcome from last week. With that being said I really do not care if benching Geno would be a setback in his development if someone else gives us a better chance to win this week.

11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

If it's broke, fix it. Matt Simms deserves a chance.

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Simms only deserves a chance today if Geno has an atrocious first half. Something like 3 Int's and no TD's. Otherwise you don't pull Geno and put Simms in there to appease some impatient fans. We are in the playoffs as of today and one of the reasons for that is Geno Smith. No rookie QB, probably in history, who has his team in position to make the playoffs this deep in the year is on as short a leash as Geno is. He's not getting pulled unless he plays outrageously bad. That just wreaks of short sightedness and shows that the Jets coaching staff and FO don't have a long term plan.

It cracks me up how many of the same people on here who are bloodthirsty to blame everything on Geno (which is total bs) are the same ones who gave Mark Sanchez a 2 YEAR fuckin leash of total Suckitude. Meanwhile they don't want to give a rookie QB one full season. Hypocrisy at its finest!!!

13. JetsNation06

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Thank goodness the SB is a home game this year!

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Best post yet!!!!!

16. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Oh please. Geno has looked good in a few games and like shit in a few. Don't make him out to be the next Montana, putting us in PO contention. He's been serviceable at best.

We are fortunate to be in an NFL that really sucks, with most teams below .500 ball giving us the chance at a play-off spot. It's nothing Geno did that no other QB could not have done.
    I was hyped on Geno at the start of the year, but he looked completely lost against Buffalo and I don't expect much better against Baltimore. If he plays well, play him if not than we should pull him before he gets hurt or shell shocked.
    IF he is to be our future, than there's no sense letting him get battered every week if he's not ready or we can't protect him.

17. JetsNation06

That's the point. We are in playoff contention partly because of Geno Smith. That is a fact that no one can refute. The point of the season is to get to the playoffs. So with Geno at the helm, we are in position to accomplish that goal. That's the bottom line, everything else is just hurt feelings from people.

You have no idea how any other QB on this roster could have done in the same situation. Anyone who does is lying. Just be happy that we're in PO contention and ride the Geno wave as long as it lasts.

18. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Plus 10, for creative differences!!!

19. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Simms is not the answer. This team will only get better, but we surely are not a playoff team.

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

There are three big reasons that we are in the playoff hunt:

1. Our defense has been stout
    2. Our running backs have moved the ball consistently when healthy
    3. Our coaches has taken the spare parts that we have on offense and made them work half of the time

Geno had made a contribution but he has also taken so very much away by turning the ball over. I am not even sure that what Geno has been able to do right is in the top ten reasons for our five wins, let alone the top five.

How can you guys say that Geno Smith is better than Matt Simms when their play on the field has been so overwhelmingly skewed in Simms favor? You can make up all of the excuses you want (garbage time, talent, etc.) but if Smith starts and we lose today (essentially putting the nail in our playoff run coffin) I don't think there will be any question as to why we lost.