"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Only issue with starting Simms against Baltimore is the fact that your first nfl start on the road in the house of horrors known as M&T Bank Stadium is not a path to success. I can see him coming in relief, but not outright starting.

If Geno rebounds, great. If not...you put Simms in.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

He's an undrafted FA 3rd string QB made 2nd string due to injury. ANY opportunity for him is a good one or at least he has to make it a good one. That has to be his mindset and I think it is. Beggars can't be choosers.

3. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

That is true. Honestly, if Geno turns ball over again next week, he gets pulled

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We all know how loyal Rex can be to his guys. I would like to think that if Geno has anything close to a repeat performance against the Ravens, Rex will go to the bullpen a lot earlier. There's no upside to having Geno getting pounded. Nothing to be learned by having your ass handed to you on a paper plate.

With all the film out there on Geno, we all can pretty much tell exactly how the Ravens plan to deal with Geno. Stack the box and make him throw against blitzes. I just hope the Kid doesn't come out of this with his ego shattered although in the long run, perhaps that and a benching just might do the kid some good.

5. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

I just can't really come to grips with the mentality on this board. It's easy to say we should pull a QB if they are playing poorly. But on what grounds is Simms the best quarterback on the roster? Geno hasn't been a total bust or even a trainwreck- he's really struggled the last few weeks but I firmly believe that our couching staff finds that he gives the team the best chance to win.

Simms is an undrafted player, and watching his preseason games, he wasn't spectacular or even very impressive. There's no way any of us can know whether or not he will eventually develop into a better QB than Geno. But do we really expect him to walk right into our regular season games (halfway into the season, no less) and play lights out? Even turnover free football is a lot to ask for a guy like him.

Simply put- we need to take a breather and let our players develop. We simply don't have a playoff caliber offense regardless of who on this roster is in at QB.

6. 74

74 Well-Known Member

what the hell are you smoking? Geno is absolutely a trainwreck right now, you couldn't possibly play worse. he has struggled the entire season and it's just getting worse. we need to bench him before he leads us to another blowout loss.

7. Mr. Green Pants

This. Simms' chances of success just aren't great enough to justify muddying the waters. Stay the course with the higher ceiling guy, see if he can fight through this rough stretch.

8. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Simms was Blitzed just as much as Smith - there was even an poster that covered his passing play. Facing blitzes, 6 man fronts, etc. He faced the same aggressive D that Smith folded under. On top of that his decision making was much fast and crisper. He was even to complete 2 passes in a row and over the middle without throwing it to Byrd.

9. Mr. Green Pants

This is just sad.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The benefit of pulling Geno isn't for the minute chance that Simms pulls a Kurt Warner, but more for the sake that the kid needs to just take a step back and regain his composure, so the train can slow down....... :shit:

11. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Why? This was posted by Mezzavo earlier :
    So I promised it earlier and since I can't sleep I'm delivering now...play by play of Simms two possessions:

First snap - hand off to Ivory
    2nd snap - 4/3 alignment - delayed blitz by the LB - Complete to Salas
    3rd snap - 4/3 alignment - No blitz complete to Cumberland
    4th snap - run Powell
    5th snap - run Ivory
    6th snap - 4/3 alignment - Rush 5/blitz TD Cumberland

2nd Posession

1st snap - Big run Ivory
    2nd snap - Holding penalty - Full Blitz - Incomplete
    3rd snap - run Ivory
    4th snap - Full blitz incomplete
    5th snap - Complete to Salas
    6th snap - Blitz - Incomplete turn over on downs.

So, for those idiots that said Simms got the "watered down" defense they are fools and want to rail against the wind to hear themselves talk. Simms was blitzed on over half of his 7 pass attempts. (1 pass attempt wiped due to holding penalty) 2 of the 3 blitzes were full 6 man rush with the one only being a 5th man delayed blitz.

A point of note...when that last pass fell incomplete and our bid for a 3rd TD failed I made a mental notice of how ANGRY Simms was coming off the field. 37 - 14...no shot in hell...just lost the game...he only played 3/4ths of a quarter but acted as if he just lost us the whole game. Pointing it out...

12. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

I pray this nightmare won't continue Sunday. Simms must start

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I hope so. I'm gonna be there. Don't feel like watching pick sixes in person.

14. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the re-post because I was just about to reach through the computer screen and Spank Mr....Green's Pants!

Ignorance to the situation is NOT an excuse.:up:

15. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Tough stretch....TOUGH stretch?? Much like you didn't read enough pages in the thread to get my Simms break down you also didn't read back far enough to see that if Geno Smith continues at this clip he will, OFFICIALLY, go down as having the worst statistical season EVER...in the history of the NFL. The HISTORY of the NFL. Stretch my ass...he's having the worst season period. That's saying something when you think about who has come before him...Jesus...let's think here...Leaf, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Jamarcus Russell and the list goes on and on....and on...

Simms making it through an NFL game and not tossing a pick is an improvement!! Not turning the ball over in any capacity like hitting the lottery.

Now, considering you didn't read back far enough to get those points I'll finish with my final point. I'm not saying get rid of Geno or anything like that. What I am saying is the young man looks like he doesn't "belong" out there right now. He is shell shocked, has no clue what he's doing, doesn't display any pocket presence whatsoever and looks as if he really needs to simply sit and watch for a while. Learn....ride the cheap seats and soak in everything he can.

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Sticking with Geno at this point is just dumb.

Simms may or may not be the long term solution, but he's more than capable of holding the fort...and the football.

There's no shame in sitting Smith.

17. feldspar

feldspar Member

I'm not sure what Simms is capable of, and neither are you.

But Smith has been absolutely brutal lately, and I'm talking about 4 of the last 5 games for the most part. Anybody that can protect the ball would probably be an upgrade right now.

18. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

hey geno, relax you're just not that good, next.

19. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

The problem w/Smith besides his inability to read & react is that he has a horrendous throwing motion, it's almost like he flaps his arms as if they were wings before every throw. I said it early on that if he didn't correct that he was going to throw alot of pick 6's. He allows the DB's to get a great jump on the ball that when they catch it they're at full speed heading the other way.

#1139 jetsons, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Someone else, I think it was mezzavo, did a play by play analysis in this thread above. You are incorrect.

Next!