"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Its only 1 preseason game but what I like is his command of the offense and the way he carrys himself. Hopefully the people that matter are taking notice.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

on a unrelated note, Tebow just threw one terrible pass for a INT

3. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

If Smith starts game 1 i bet there is a good chance you see Simms playing in Game 1 in relief of an an absolute shi!tshow. That should really get the circus talk going.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You are all over it, C. The people that are trashing his play because of the situation either haven't watched this game or don't want to believe the truth of it. This kid has displayed excellent timing, great decision making under pressure, he goes through his reads, the throws the ball as fast as I ever saw Favre do when he was here.

He did have a couple of bad throws/decisions. He also had a couple of plays where the ball should have been caught. All in all... I feel far better about wanting to see more of him than I did before the game started.

He looks more ready to start than either of our QB competitors. Crying shame.

5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I counted 5 dropped, very catchable, balls...so that basically puts Simms at about 90% completion percentage...for an ENTIRE game. I don't care if that's pop warner football that's impressive.

You cannot...and I tell you CANNOT put this kid back on the practice squad or he's gone. Gone gone gone...in fact Buffalo is WAITING, right NOW to pick this guy up if the Jets are stupid enough to put him back on the PS. You can take that to the bank.

IF Mark Sanchez is hurt for week one then, in my opinion, you start whomever had the BEST preseason. From what I can tell that is Matt Simms. AND he pulled it off with getting shit for reps in practice...that we already know.

I said in a couple other threads and I'm going to repeat it here.... WHAT WE JUST SAW IS WHAT I EXPECTED FROM GENO SMITH NOT AN PRACTICE SQUAD QB!!!!!

Fuck politics...fuck draft position...I want a hope and a dream and PRODUCTION. Simms just showed me he deserves the shot. Period. I want a strong armed, gunslinging QB that is going to be decisive, right or wrong, to grow with this team and it's young talent. I saw that out of Simms and did NOT see it out of Geno Smith. Sorry...but I call em like I see em'.

6. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

Can't over-react, preseason Game 4 is a joke, but he looked great. Nearly an INT early, but GREAT after that.

He's QB 3, no contest.

7. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

lol..cman...i think Im in the twighlight zone reading some of these posts. First off before I get on a roll here...I GET IT..MATT SIMMS COULD VERY WELL BE OUT OF THE LEAGUE IN 2 YEARS.

I could give two craps who he is playing against...because the same posters havent talked about the record drops in this game..perhaps 5? Or about the offensive line...has a qb ever put up those numbers being sacked and hurried that much? I doubt it.

Heres my take cman...same as yours. Who the hell do we think we are? Who the hell do we think is on this roster right now at qb? Does anyone here really believe that Sanchez is the qb of the future? Please...tell me who you are and the reasoning behind that.

Ok..so if Sanchez is not the qb of the future and so many believe this is a rebuilding year, then we are left with Smith, Simms or Mcelroy. Mac will not beat out Simms as the 3rd string qb.

So now we are left with Smith and Simms. Did you see the way Smith tore up the 2nd and 3rd string defenses?

The only way you can make the argument of Smith beating out Simms is saying Smith was a second round pick. THATS IT.

And Bradwaysucks mentioned earlier, and I respect the hell out of him, but he said earlier that Rick Mirer had a great preseason years ago.

Come on guys..when is the last time you saw a kid make the kind of completitons this kid made? CAN THIS GUY SUCK? YES.

Are the Jets in position NOT to find out a few real games if this kid is the real deal? No damn way.

8. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Simms made a lot of us happy tonight and his dad proud! Now lets see how quick the Jets brain trust can shit on our parade.

9. SackExchange69

What would happen come the Pats game if Geno shits the bed in the first half against the Bucs and Simms is put in for a 2nd half comeback?

10. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

With the proviso that this may not be saying much, Simms is instinctively better than Sanchez

11. 85inthehall

there were at least 4 drops -- also 2 dropped interceptions...can't just count the good that didn't happen you have to count the bad. His first pass was a pick 6 that was dropped.

I do agree that Simms has outplayed smith on so many level he has earned a start if Sanchez can't go. Not like you are paying Smith $40million. Look at Seattle - paid big money to flynn but wilson beat him out.

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 3h
    Matt Simms: Nice guy. But Greg McElroy is the better player. #Nyj

13. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

From what I've seen and know of Buffalo he would be starting game 1 for them. Too many teams would try to claim him if we cut him.

14. mezzavo

I forgot that I didn't post about that in this thread...the 2nd one...yeah...that should have gone the other way. But the first...that LB'er didn't catch that ball because I couldn't SEE it get to him it had so much heat on it. That used to happen to Favre all the time...so much "spice" on it that it was easier to knock it down rather than try to catch it. But...you are correct...he COULD have had two picks. I'll tell you this though, if that were one of the "feathers" that Sanchez tosses out there you can BET the first one was going for 6 and maybe the 2nd.

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Frankly, I'd choose Matt Simms over Geno Smith come week 1, if things were to stay the way they are now.

Safety: Both had 1 - Wash
    Completion ratio: Matt >> Geno
    Interceptions: Matt >> Geno

And... I believe my eyes. Geno does not look ready to play in this league as of yet. No. He may become better QB in years to come, but dare I say it, Matt Simms is a better QB than Geno Smith as of week 1, 2013. [Hell, I'd choose all three Jets QB over Smith at this point. He needs some serious work on his fundamentals first.]

16. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Mezz..if this was a real qb competition WITHOUT POLITICS..then you have to give this kid a chance.

Heres the important part..and I cant stress this enough...he is going againist a guy who is on a course to break records for turnovers the past 2 year and a kid that fell in the draft to second round because of doubts.

Again..he is not competiting against Andy Dalton and Cam Newton...2 guys that are a bit better than middle of the pack...he is competing against a guy we will 100% cut after this year and a 2nd round roll of the dice...PERIOD.

17. mezzavo

LOL...Mehta couldn't find his ass if he had a roadmap, GPS and magnifying glass...

18. 85inthehall

What the hell is he talking about? McElroy never was this impressive in pre season and when he got a shot last year he imploded.

19. SackExchange69

The Seahawks had the balls to go with Wilson the same with 49ers/Kapernick. Lets see what kind of balls the Jets have. At least make him #3 for now.

20. mezzavo

E-ZACH-LY!!!!! I believe my eyes...Simms is ready, Geno is not...as of week 1, 2013...it's important to make that distinction.