"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. 74

74 Well-Known Member

yea but the media would flip the fuck out and Rex would surely get fired if it didn't work out. just not worth it unless Geno gets hurt or is atrociously bad for a few games in a row.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

There, fixed it for you.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Simms has done the same thing Geno did to earn a start on the NY Jets. The NY Jets didn't have a starting quality QB on the roster when both of them made the team.

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yeah, they did. But agenda driven decisions got him hurt.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Geno is the starter, Simms is only a backup

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Look at it this way Hobbes.

It's a win/win...the Jets get a qb who can actually make the throws required in a new system, and you get to save face and avoid having to come up with more excuses for Sanchez's failures.

p.s. Good to see you back posting.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Fortunately his ankle healed in time to start the season.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Why not give Simms a start? Without going over the pros and cons, the reality is Smith starts this week. While the NO game likely will be alot about the Jet D, and whether they can turn it around and contain the Saints, or play more like they did against the Bengals, or somewhere in between, Smith will also be on display.

And it is certainly possible that he could either solidify his hold on the starting slot, stink it up or somewhere in between. That's part of dealing with a rookie Qb like everyone says, but it also does present issues in terms of whether it's best to just leave him in there or not.

But I do think if he continues to turn it over and the Jet O does not make things happen, I will start to think I would like to see what Simms can do with a week's preparation. Would that make sense right after the bye? I can see the argument for leaving Smith in there - give him the bye to regroup, perhaps get back on track against the Bills, who let's face it are not in the same class as NO or Cincy.

It's a tough call as to when. But if Smith continues to turn the ball over, count me as one who think it makes sense to see what Simms can do.

9. Mitch_Dumstein

how many times did P Manning turn the ball over in his rookie season?

Did he manage to lead his team to as many as 4 wins out of the first 8

yet here we are whining to kick Smith to the sidelines halfway through his rookie season

pathetic

10. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

Reggie Wayne is a monster. He catches anything thrown to him. He's been catching Luck's inaccurate balls to the point that he blew his ACL. Don't get it twisted.

11. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

I'm sure the coaching staff who see Simms practice everyday would have a better idea if he's capable of being an NFL starter. He's not even in the discussion of being a starter. Heck, not even rumor is floating around.

12. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

I agree that Simms should get a look at some point but just not against Buffalo.

The game is on the road which is not where a rookie should see his first start. The game isn't until November 17th by which time the weather can be a major factor and would prevent a fair analysis of how Simms played.

I'd say the early December games would be better suited to get an idea on Simms. At home against the Fish or Raiders or perhaps at Carolina.

13. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

Well, if they benched Geno after the stinker the D made against cincy there would be an uproar not only in the media but also among the Jets organization. As they would interpret that as Rex looking for a scapegoat for one bad game. Rex would probably get fired doing that. And guess what, we still don't have a losing record. 4-4 baby. Your argument would be valid if we were in tampa's situation. Right argument, wrong team. I'm sure there is another sport forum out there that would love you for being so transcending in your thoughts.:rofl:

14. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

Yep! You're definitely whiny and annoying.

15. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

Geno have a great college resume. He, at least, deserves a season to prove if he can replicate it. Simms haven't don't squat in his career. Just like any other job in the world, your resume get you through the door.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Simms isn't a rookie and he certainly has come up the hard way. At Carolina is perhaps the toughest game on our schedule with the exception of this weeks game.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Purely in terms of a fair test, I agree at Carolina would not be a good choice.

18. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Geno

I see Geno as a young QB on the rise. He will have up and down games for a time until he gets more experience. There is no other story here. This is a young team with a new QB. Was anyone expecting 12 and 4?

19. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Firstly, of course any rookie QB should be given a season, but in reality it takes at least 2-3. Just like Sanchez was given.
    There's my problem tight there. I'm not into this whole, he is the starting QB thing. Every player should have to earn their right to be called a starter.

I appreciate that some positions are harder to master than others, but if you have a player who could be far more advanced and isn't given the opportunity, how will you ever know?

I thought during pre-season Simms was easily the best QB on the team, surely some of that pedigree has rubbed off on him.
    Next season I would love to see an OPEN and FAIR QB competition, but it will not happen.

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Pat Ryan, Browning Nagle, Brett Ratliff, Tim Tebow, Matt Simms.
    Stop it now.