"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

This is a great way to start dissension and division within the team. United we stand; divided we fall. We are 4 and 4. No one would have predicted that record prior to the start of the season. Arguably after the bye the season gets a bit easier. The game is slowing down a bit for GENO . He has played well in spurts and has justified the hope many Jets fans seein his ability. Yes he makes errors. SUCKCHEZ was given 4 years and would have had a 5th to perfect his craft and we all know he does not the talent and skill set of Geno. Yet after 8 games you are calling for his head. That leads me to believe that you are really a Suckchez fan boy and will stop at nothing to cast GENO in a bad light.

If you'd care to go back to LUCK's rookie campaign you'd see poor stats but in the second half of the season he caught fire and took his team to the playoffs. BUT his stats were not great! Look at him this year!

Then go back to AARON RODGERS rookie year. He could not read defenses and sat for 3 years behind a seasoned QB. Then look at TROY AIKMAN and TERRY BRADSHAW. Both strong armed QBs who threw INTS in their rookie campaign. I am not saying GENO will be any of them . I just want to illustrate that QBs take time to develop. Oh by the way, all 3 won Super Bowls. Suckchez has never smelled one! I do not believe that you are a SIMMS supporter. He is also raw. You have NO patience to develop a QB thus you are a SUCKCHEZ fan boy or hero worshiper.

Incidentally LUCK and even WILSON were rookies last year and BOTH had far superior talent surrounding them then GENO does and still we are 4 and 4. We are what the record says we are. A middle of the road team. Yet you have a burning need to blame a raw QB after 8 games.

2. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Andrew Luck has solid receivers -- TY Hilton was a surprise and Reggie Wayne is Reggie Wayne, but they don't have a great running game and their defense was eh last season. Luck was 1:1 TD/TO ratio.

RGIII had what Santana Moss? Garcon was hurt all season. Alfred Morris was a fluke. RG III was a monster though with a 4:1 TD:TO ratio and he ran which opened up so much more for everyone else.

Geno is on pace for a 20TD/32TO season. That is not something you go into the off season with and say oh yeah this is our guy!

3. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

of course you are trying to use stats based on past performance as an indicator of things to come for Geno. With a raw QB that is fool's gold. LUCK under performed in the first half of the season and improved greatly in the second part of the season. And yes he had some great offensive weapons surrounding him in both parts of the season. They did make it to the playoffs. You never responded to Bradshaw and Aikman. Dare say there were fans like you that wanted BOTH cut after their first season. How did they turn out using your stats to predict their futures?

In your rush to judgement why not wait and see how the game or if the game slows down for Geno in the second half of the season. If he cuts back on his INTS I am sure you will find another reason to want him gone. Obviously you are blinded to the very good things he does. There really is no point in belaboring this.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Bradshaw was benched multiple times early in his career as was Staubach. Aikman missed a month of his rookie season. Didn't seem to hurt either one of them developing into very good NFL QB's. It might have actually helped.

Geno is the future QB of the NY Jets. It still might not be a bad idea to let him sit for a short while. It also isn't a bad thing for the team to find out of Simms is a long term answer as the No. 2 QB. If the team wins while we find out, that's not a bad thing.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Very good post. I agree with all of it.

I also would like to add that while the players say all the right things in support of Smith, there can be something corrosive occurring if the Qb keeps turning the ball over and the CS basically says he's at no risk of being forced to sit a couple of games. I think that's why Ryan was not categorical in insisting Smith would continue to start when asked. I expect it's 95% certain or greater that he starts against the Saints, but another stinker and that percentage probably goes down. Perhaps significantly.

The thing that is killing me is the awful turnovers continue. I see Smith making great throws here and there. He's got a very good if not great arm, and although he doesn't seem to connect much in the deep middle of the field, not many do. He can throw the out pattern, and has touch on the short passes. He even seems to be learning some about moving up in the pocket. While he put the ball on the ground against NE, the Pats did not recover them, and he did not fumble yesterday.

But he has not shaken the propensity for turnovers. He can't seem to go a whole game without making them. It really is concerning.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree that a young QB can benched and it can still be a learning experience, doesn't have to mean they are done or do any long term damage....

but , Simms isn't the answer. He would struggle worse than Geno Smith. Might as well keep Geno in there.

7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Geno isn't reading defences and his footwork is bad. That's where we need to see improvement or we absolutely should look elsewhere after this season. Stop referring to Luck and other past rookie qb's for comparison because those guys had solid fundementals.

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Smith's turnovers aren't bothering me that much. The INT against Pittsburgh was a killer but yesterday's turnovers had zero impact on the team. His best weapon in the passing game was a guy who the Bills cut.

Geno continues to make great passes and show a live arm. Against a very good team on the road the Jets D buried the team early and set up our O for a death spiral.

The second pick was ugly but it was meaningless in terms of it's impact on the game and on losing the team. The D lost this game when they stepped on the field.

The Jets have work to do on O. Besides a lack of good skill players there is a lack of continuity with the players we actually have.

I like the way Geno is playing, I liked what I saw out of Simms. I'm thinking this team is set at QB for a long time. We have lots of other holes that need to be filled first.

From my POV Geno has been a very positive surprise.

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Tell me what you have seen at of Simms on the field that makes you feel that way? I haven't seen any indication that Simms can't play in the NFL other then his college stats.

10. BrowningNagle

It's not just his stats in college that leave a lot to be desired. I followed him closer than your average person and he was horrendous at Tennessee.

It's going to take a lot more than some bogus preseason action before I think he's any good. He was very, very inaccurate, he looked like he's never seen a defense before and he generally looked in over his head at the division 1 level - I'm supposed to believe he can become an NFL starter? I would be FLOORED if he made it through a regular season NFL start without looking in over his head as well.

Maybe I'm being harsh, and you can disagree with me, but I wasn't even really impressed with him in the preseason. The Eagles game, he faced the backups for the worst defense in the NFL and he was fortunate that many of his errant passes weren't picked.

I'm not seeing him in practice, so maybe he's improved greatly (I doubt it). It's also pretty obvious he doesn't even make this team if Sanchez doesn't get hurt and Garrard doesn't retire. Not a chance I think he does ANY better than Geno Smith out there - and if that's the case, then I'm not sitting Geno.

11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Those kinds of pick 6s are catastrophically bad plays by the quarterback and can't be brushed aside they way they were with Sanchez. In other words there has to be accountability. The only real way of teaching a young player (to me) is by benching him. You lose your job if you turn the ball over. If you keep handing him the ball (and are afraid to crush his fragile ego) then you don't make your point. That pick 6's and throwing into coverage even when the defense etc. is playing poorly is unacceptable. I would have no problem benching Geno for the game this week but probably I'd give him another start. But based on what we saw yesterday despite the words he still hasn't learned that lesson. Thou shalt not throw idiotic passes.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

TN sucked. The program sucked and they were in a very tough division. They have had a revolving door of coaches as well. You have a crap program in a tough division it's not surprising that the QB will not have success. Simms hasn't played at the NFL level against the top guys but he has looked good every time he has played. He's being coached by a professional OC and QB coach. He sets up well, has a big arm and a quick release. He's also hung around a pro program for a couple of years now.

Again I haven't seen anything at the pro level that leads me to believe he is going to suck. Most of the big time College QB's were guys who matured early who were great in College and sucked in the pro's. See Tim Tebow.

13. BrowningNagle

Tennessee sucked, but he got benched (rightfully) on two separate occasions for true freshman QBs that despite being only 18 years old and despite playing with the same sucky teams, looked much better than Simms.

He has always had a big arm and a quick release that's why it was so frustrating when he had no accuracy and timing for the game.

I agree that there are big time College QB's that mature early and suck in the pro's, but there are also guys who suck in college and in turn suck in the pro's... that's what I think we'd see from Simms.

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Jesus man it's 8 games into the guys career, chill out!

15. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

It won't happen. Might as well rename this board The Gang Green Quarterback Message Board. The defense laid an egg yesterday so badly that the game was over at halftime and people are complaining about two meaningless picks by Smith, one of which was Kerley's fault. The second half of that game was as telling as a preseason game.

16. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

Dude, the game was over after 2 cincy possessions. This was a learning game for Geno. The coaching staffs didn't care about the game at that point so they ask Geno to start taking more risk. Those 2 INTs weren't relevant at all. Nobody cared about them. The story of this game was all about Cincy's offensive prowess. When teams have huge lead their defense take more risk. On both INTs the corners overplay the routes. In a tight game they'd be susceptible over the top. Learn some football. This game wasn't about QB play. Just a clinic of a vastly superior team over a rebuilding team.

Also, if you Geno wasn't throwing INTs it would be a cause for concern especially if we're not winning. It would mean he's a scared game manager that doesn't take risk or attempt the hard throws. And those won't win you much in this league.

Matt Simms. Lol, you're a funny guy. This is professional league buddy. Those players work hard their entire life to get selected in the top 2 rounds and you think some talentless UDFA like Simms is all of a sudden better? Don't make us laugh!

17. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

This is similar to the Tebow fiasco. You have the coaching staffs who see the players everyday in practice and have an idea of each player's potential, and you have the idiotic fans who only see the players on the depth chart. Who is better at making a decision on whom to start? Not you, buddy. If it were for fans like you Tebow would be quarterbacking the Jets right now.

18. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

you're annoying and whiny.

19. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

what's it to you? Why is it so important to you that simms start? Did simms get us to 4-4? Did sims break records in college? Was simms selected in the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft? What have simms done in his life(other than being Phil's son) that entitles him to start for the NY Jets? What work has he put? How come nobody ever heard of him before? What makes his shit doesn't stink? Come on, man! You're worrying about the wrong position on the field.

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine yourself.

So after just two possessions the game is over?

No coming back from that?

Never heard of the Monday Night Miracle?

We stopped the Bengals cold on two consecutive plays with a goal line stand and an interception. The game was not over until Geno put a nail in the coffin with the first pick six. Those two interceptions Geno threw led to 14 points without even giving our defense the chance to stop them from happening. It wasn't just that but our offense failed to score even a single touchdown. Time of possession or field position was not even close.

Sure the Bengals are a very good team and our defense could have played better but Geno's finger prints are all over this loss as well. We have a lot of young players and may not be dominating the league but just because ESPN said we were the worst team in the league does not make it so or even mean that we are rebuilding.

It does not matter what these guys did in college or where they were drafted. All that matters is who gives us the best chance to win on Sunday. Turnovers and poor decision making week after week is when the NFL means not for long.

Why not give Simms a start? See what he can do. Even if he fails and Geno gets the job back it does not mean that we have somehow ruined him as a potential starter. Perhaps riding the pine for a game or two will help him get his head back into the game when it comes to protecting the football.