Official: No fans allowed in the stands at Jets games

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Jul 17, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Governor Murphy told teams today that the 500 person limit for outdoor events applied to sports and both the Jets and Giants pulled the plug. This was going to be the outcome because it's the most common sense approach, but now it's official. I'm personally fine with it. There's no way they would have been able to wrangle the "but muh bill of rights" morons that refused to keep a mask on during the game.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

No surprise here. It sucks but its the right decision. You won't see sports return to normal until the virus is under control. That probably means we have to wait for a vaccine for this.

Jonathan_Vilma and Noam like this.
  3. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

A good decision for all. I opted out of 2020 tix a few weeks back but I figured this would happen. It will be interesting to see what can be heard from field over TV without fan noise. Of course being the Jets they'll lead the league in false starts even without fans..

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Hahaha.

Everyone - and I do mean everyone - should ask for their money back. Woody Johnson can live off all of the money he saves on taxes with that "tree farm" he owns in New Jersey.

If you let the NFL/Jets bank the interest on your $, you're a fool; and don't pay up again until you absolutely have to. I still have a lot of residual anger about what that FO did to me after being a STH for 53 years. Having 80,000 people avenge me would be nice.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'm fucking crushed.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The right decision. However.

They should fill in the stands with cutouts or find smaller venues and pump in some crowd noise or something. The baseball games look and sound kinda ridiculous right now.

8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The offenses will love the quiet. Everyone will be able to hear the play being called out. Defenses will miss having the crowd noise behind them at home especially on 3rd down.

#28 GREG, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Definitely. However, the offense will have it's struggles too. Not every stadium creates a real advantage like the Chiefs or Seahawks do. Giants Stadium is one example of one that's nowhere near the advantage other home crowds provide.

Offenses will need a lot more dummy calls. Great linebackers (Kuechly in particular was known for this I believe) can figure out quarterback calls even with all the noise.

10. BroadwayAaron

I just saw something on Twitter that the MLB did which for an unbelievably boring and unimaginative sport, was pretty great. Fans can download an app and choose their responses (cheer, boo, chanting certain things) and the gameday crew at the stadium then plays the corresponding noise at the corresponding levels. I have no idea if that will work but that's pretty damn cool.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Seems like it's likely too hard to compile that data in real time to be appropriate for the situation in a faster moving game but it sounds cool.

12. BroadwayAaron

You couldn't do that for football... the point which I forgot to even make in that post was that if the MLB is coming up with innovative things then I'm sure the NFL along with broadcast partners will too.

13. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Laughing at “common sense”
    Also you should maybe stay away from politics and insulting people

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

I can confidently say your opinion is worth about as much as a seat at MetLife this year.

15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

How are the networks planning to mute all the curse words between players and coaches on the field during games?

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

They’ll air it on a 10 second delay so they can dump sound when needed. Like radio does

17. WarriorRB28

That'll be a awful lot of delays. LOL

18. BroadwayAaron

They'll also probably kill the mics on the field level that pick up individual conversations as soon as the ball is snapped and just go with whatever fake noise they add plus a wider mic that is picking up general ambiance.

19. WarriorRB28

What general ambiance? There'll be no one in the stands.

Use the inactive players and subs & benchwarmers in the stands as the 'crowd'. That's what WWE has been doing.

Vince McMahon has shown the way. Follow his lead.

20. BroadwayAaron

The ambiance of the field. Like the XFL did. They had a pretty good system down. It’s not going to be foolproof but it’ll be fine. And yes having people in crowd a la WWE would help but that’s a whole can of worms. Those people are tested before they are audience members. Are you going to test 500 additional people to let them sit in the stands? Are they gonna sit 6 feet apart? 500 people spaced 6 seats away from each other isn’t gonna sound all that great.