Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

What about Vrabel in Tnn?:mad:

2. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

He was involved, but CJ went out of his way to say that the final choice was his alone and he was in charge of the process. I sure hope this isn't the case this time.

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

god what a moron

he is SO clueless

SOJAZ and Longsuffering88 like this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

well I’m not saying don’t interview the guy...he deserves it for sure.

I don’t think the argument is lame at all...it’s about the resume...so it is actually very relevant.

and my point is that his resume doesn’t impress me because I don’t think that the teams success had much, if anything, to do with EB. He is riding coattails. He hasn’t done it on his own...he hasn’t done it anywhere else...he doesn’t have a long body of work. Need to understand causation vs. correlation.

All that is not to say that he won’t be a great HC someday. He may very well be.

so I am totally good with talking to the guy....I’m just not putting a heck of a lot of weight on the Chiefs offensive success...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s all him...Hell Gase would probably look good if he was the OC of the Chiefs

I just like that he’s been with Reid for all of these years, and that Reid has promoted him out of all the options he had. Around the league and within the team he’s had nothing but good things said about him

I don’t think he’s the only option but he should be a top option

6. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

andy reid rode mike holmgrens "coattails" before getting his shot as a HC too

Fiftynine, K'OB and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  7. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I agree that Brady, while he has a bright future, doesn't have the coaching experience. But, as seen with McVay, there might be gold there (plus a seasoned DC might be tempted to sign up). Also think he will be an NFL or D1 HC within 2 years (again the McVay effect, teams going for the young up and coming hotshot OC).

As for the other two, @Darnasty put it clearly and I just can echo what he is saying. CEO types who are leaders of men and have turned around lesser programs are what I would be looking at. I'd back them to come here and Florham Park.

RE: Fitzgerald, I'm not 100% sold on him like I am w/Matty Campbell, but he's turned Northwestern into a solid competitor in the Big 10.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And that's why I much prefer going with someone who has successful head coaching experience, even if only in college. A HC has to be a CEO, even if they focus a bit more one one side or the other, they need to be able to understand ALL facets of the game and be able to direct them. That's why we've failed with Rex, then Bowles, and although Gase was a HC, he was NOT successful, EVER.

SOJAZ, Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that the next HC should be the CEO of the team. No more of this nonsense with the HC only caring about one unit. I like each of those three for that reason, but with their never having coached in the NFL and had the opportunity to forge relationships with other assistants, what make you so confident that they would be able to put together a competent staff? Granted, most of the Jets will be young players, but they will have some veterans, and what makes you think NFL vets are going to listen to some college coach who has never worked in the NFL?

I don't believe that JD would try to force a CS or coach on his HC hire. He's much smarter than that. I think he will ask the candidates who they're thinking about in terms of their CS, and then if he doesn't think the CS would be good, he might lose interest in that HC candidate, or ask him why he wanted certain coaches, but he would allow whomever he hires to hire his own CS.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Mostly because I think the Jets are going to be a very attractive landing spot for not only a HC but a CS staff as well, assuming we land Trevor of course.

Say we hire a Matt Campbell who is probably my first choice and have the first pick? I would imagine he’d be able to hire anyone he wants to be his OC?

Also just as with HC there just aren’t many of these jobs available. Only 32 DC and OC positions in the country with tops of maybe 8 openings per year.

I don’t know if any of them will hire a competent staff but I think they have as good of a chance as anyone else. JMO

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I know the owners can do whatever they want but for the sake of the franchise and fans this better be JD's call.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. The reason I asked is that it seems that many, if not most, times, HCs and their coordinators and assistants have known each other or worked together, or have mutual friends, or because they're all in the same circle, know of each other and their work, so there's a level of familiarity, comfort, and confidence. NFL assistants and Coordinators may think, "Why should I work under this college coach when he has zero experience in the NFL?" and I'm more experienced and more qualified than they are, or they may not share the same philosophy or approach as to how they do things. Since they travel in different coaching circles, they probably don't know of each other, their work, or have mutual friends. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that it would be much harder for an outsider, like a college HC, to be able to hire NFL assistants. They may want to get around that by bring their current staffs with them, or hire other college assistants they know, but that could be problematic as well, in terms of NFL players perhaps not respecting a first-time NFL coach.

13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The new coach has to be calling the shots. Hopefully for JD he wants to work with him. The coach will have to be a perfect fit for Lawrence too. I would be happy with any of these guys:

Lincoln Riley
    Eric Bieniemy
    Jim Harbaugh

If they became available:
    Sean Payton
    Doug Perderson

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

IF the Philadelphia Eagles are dumb enough to fire Pederson he's the obvious choice.

Aside from Pederson who's coming here that guarantee a turnaround or instant credibility? Cowher & Harbaugh have been away too long. Marvin Lewis never won anything his teams choked.

A rookie HC means starting ALL OVER again. Another new system for Darnold to learn.

If they can't get Pederson stay the course with coach Gase the guys are still going to war for him. Hire Wade Philips to run the defense.

This team needs a serious infusion of talent. After the disastrous free agent class of 2019 the 2020 class has been a breath of fresh air the Jets need more of that.

15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

We can cross any of the highly sought after candidates off the list now. Anyone with options isn't considering this dumpster fire.

Pederson, though, is about as overrated as they come and would be a typical Jets hire. Outside of Nick Foles catching fire and carrying the Eagles to a championship, he's done a poor job with that franchise. The true brains behind that operation is currently leading the Colts. You'd also hope that the Jets would learn from the Gase disaster by not hiring a head coach who has just been fired elsewhere.

16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Just STOP. 1-13 is Annihilation, not War.

Ralebird and jets_fan like this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Sadly losing out in the TL sweepstakes most likely cost them in the premier head coach sweepstakes as well :confused:

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

You havent learned to not reply to trolls yet?

Cman68, JetsNation06 and jets_fan like this.
  19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I read this morning that last week Sean McVay called up coach Gase to tell him how hard his guys are still playing for him.

That's a SB HC marvelling at the effort the Jets players are giving supposedly lame duck coach Gase.

20. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Of course they're still playing hard. It's a bunch of guys who are barely clinging to jobs in this league, a good number of whom may not be in the league next year. Add to that the fact that none of them want to go 0-16.

Keeping professional athletes playing hard has always been a completely overrated aspect of an NFL head coach's abilities. Anyone with the bare minimum, basic competency can pull that off. And so too, apparently, can Adam Gase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.