Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

It's all about the HC/QB combo. Honestly, it looks like you really can't have one without the other.

2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

suspicious types like myself think Eagles coach and Kotite

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

We already have that right now. Gase is Kotite 2.0. I'm hoping the Jets want to make a big splash this time and hire one of the hot ticket up and coming guys.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I am never really in favor of hiring a guy for the same job he just got canned for.
    Everyone needs time to reflect and figure out what you could have done differently, this is done by taking a step down or at least taking a year off.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

May be this season can forever dispel the notion from some here that are afraid to take a chance on a coordinator, or a solid college coach, because what we so desperately need is a HC with experience. Bull crap, most experienced available coaches are either on the street fired for incompetence or are previous failures at many levels, moving down to the coordinator level where they belong. Let’s do some no shit research for once , by people that know the ropes and have seen what it takes to be successful. No more dinosaur consultants or owners without know how. Let JD take the lead, and let’s get a HC that can lead a young team with talent and vision, someone innovative not always living in the past.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent post! I couldn't agree more.

REVISion and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Is there a Head Coaching Candidate thread? I couldn't find it if there is. I would like to know who some of the Jets' options will be. I don't know who the hot candidates are besides the Chiefs OC. This will obviously be a huge decision for the Jets' future success.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd bring him in for an interview and ask the following questions. Assuming he gets fired....

Why do you think your QB has regressed from MVP candidate in 2017 to a turnover machine in 2020?
    The Eagles haven't looked the same since you lost Frank Reich. Why should we believe that our offense and team will thrive with you as HC?
    Will you adapt your offense to fit the strengths of the players we have?
    Do you think you might be too aggressive at times? Explain why or why not.
    Our most recent HC was hired right after Miami fired him and it didn't go well. Why will it be different with you?

JetsKickAss likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Great questions, but I wouldn't even give him an interview. Douglas probably will out of professional coutesy, if nothing else. I don't think he's what we want or need, and the danger is that if you bring him in, the Johnsons might fall in love with him.

10. NCJetsfan

There were two. They are:

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/greg-roman-eric-bieniemy-or-arthur-smith.94534/

and

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/nice-breakdown-of-potential-jets-head-coach.94656/

If I were Douglas my list of candidates would be as follows (in order):

Brian Daboll (45), OC of the Bills - Other than serving as a graduate assistant at Michigan St., almost his entire career has been in the NFL; has coached on both sides of the ball; coached under Belichik twice; has been a WR, TE and QB Coach and OC of the Browns, Dolphins, Chiefs and Bills; Assistant OC for Alabama with Nick Saban; 5x SB Champion.

Greg Roman (48), OC of the Ravens - Most of his career has been in the NFL (1 year coaching high school, and two years coaching at Stanford); has had success with a number of different QBs and has adapted his offense to fit the talents of the QB; has coached the OL, TE, & QBs; has been OC for the Niners, Bills & Ravens.

Matt Campbell (41), HC of Iowa State - Successful; been HC of Toledo and Iowa St.; served as OC of Mt. Union for two years and both years they won the Div. III national championship; has twice been named Big 12 Coach of the Year and was MAC Coach of the Year; the only negative is has no NFL experience at all.

Arthur Smith (38), OC of the Titans - Has coached on both sides of the ball; has produced a great offense the last two years for the Titans; has been both defensive and offensive quality control coach, TE Coach and OL Coach.

Eric Bieniemy (51), OC of the Chiefs - Has lots of experience but mostly as a RB Coach; Career split between college and the NFL; OC under Andy Reid; played in the NFL; a SB Champion.

I think 4-5 candidates are enough. Any more and it starts getting confusing and can take too long, and other teams are looking for HCs as well, and they may all have a head start on the Jets. I favor having the new HC be young, having a proven creative offensive mind that will adapt his system to fit the talent of the team. The Jets have failed to develop the last 5 QBs they've drafted (Sanchez, Smith, Hackenberg, Petty, and Darnold). It's too early to say about Morgan. They need to ensure that Lawrence (or whichever QB they wind up drafting) develops and succeeds as best he can. To that end they need to get a HC who will coach the whole team, one who preferably comes from an offensive background and has had success developing QBs, is fairly young so he can be with the team for a long time and who has the energy required), has had success running an offense and calling plays (I might make an exception for Bieniemy depending upon his interview), and who will be able to hire a creative, OC and proven QB Coach. I prefer one who has experience and contacts in the NFL (Neither Campbell and Fleck have any NFL experience). Who (OC & QB Coach) the HC wants to hire may have a bearing on who gets hired. I would let them hire whomever they want, but if a candidate wants to hire a friend who isn't proven, then I'd have some reservations about hiring him.

Bieniemy is highly regarded, but it bothers me that he hasn't called plays and has only coached RBs prior to becoming OC.

Smith, Fleck and Campbell are all almost too young.

If for some reason none of those 5 worked out, my secondary list of candidates would be:

PJ Fleck (39), HC of the Univ. of Minnesota - Other than one year as the Bucs WR coach, his entire career has been at the collegiate level; never was an OC and has only been WR coach at every stop; was named Big 10 Coach of the Year;

Todd Monken (54), OC of the Univ. of GA - Has coached on both sides of the ball (DB, WR, RB, QB, PGC, and OC; was HC at Southern Mississippi and turned that program around; was very successful as OC at Tampa Bay; was also OC of the Browns last year, and is currently OC at the Univ. of GA.

Wink Martindale (57), DC of the Ravens - Is almost too old for my taste and has been exclusively a defensive and STs coach; has experience in both college and NFL; with both the Broncos and Ravens, he was hired as a LB Coach and then promoted to DC.

#190 NCJetsfan, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Good post. Certainly you have done some homework. I think the coach will be determined once we see how we finish. This hire needs to play to the strengths of both their wheelhouse for play calling and the strengths to what Lawrence/Fields/Darnold do best.

I’m all in on Bieniemy if we get 1st because Lawrence has Mahomes potential and Andy Reid’s offence needs a strong arm QB to be successful. I truly believe that if we get Lawrence and hire Bieniemy it is possible he can turn this franchise completely around.

If we get second overall this really is a tough call. I’m worried about Darnold.. He looks rattled. Really rattled... If we commit to that project who better to do this than Jim Harbaugh. He did this exact thing with Alex Smith who EVERYONE had written off. He not only rebuilt him he saved his career. The big positive here is that if Jim can rebuild Darnold we can gain more draft capital for someone moving up for Fields. Jim Harbaugh is the only coach I can feel comfortable doing this as he’s done it before.

If we get 2nd overall and dump Darnold and take Fields I think you swing for the fences for Lincoln Riley. He’s a perfect fit for Fields intermediate accuracy game. However, I think he won’t come to the nfl so that’s a pipe dream for that scenario. So if it’s Fields it’s got to be Arthur Smith as Fields and Tannyhill are very similar and if we draft Najee Harris our offence could start to look very similar to the Titans offence.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  12. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I know he is DC but what about 49ers DC Robert Saleh. His players seems to run thru a wall for him and he is a very good coach. He seems like he would be a good leader who can get the team to buy into what he wants. I know the Jets will need someone to develop and work with Trevor Lawrence but Saleh can solve that problem with a good OC. Saleh seems like he would do the same thing that Flores is doing with Dolphins. Miami is definitely a team on the upswing.

LAJet likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I have to be honest. And it's not really a valid football complaint but I can't get past two things with him.

1) He looks too much like Jason Taylor for my liking.
    2) He has a very punchable face.

#193 Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    REVISion likes this.
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I hope whoever the new HC is, we keep Gregg Williams or hire Rex Ryan as DC....AND JoeD get us a #1 corner and an edge pass rusher. No more trying to make chicken salad out of a chicken shit roster.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great post, as always, @NCJetsfan! Thank you. I like they guys you listed. Bieniemy is talked about the most, but I wonder how much credit he should get since Reid is a great coach and Mahomes is clearly a generational QB? They have so many weapons too. I don't know much about him though. He may be a great Head Coach.

16. NCJetsfan

Thanks.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens and whom the Jets interview. Bieniemy could be great, but as you said, with Mahomes and all the great weapons there and it being Reid's offense and Reid calling the plays, Bieniemy could be lost when left to his own devices. Never having called plays before is huge imo. If he is the choice, I would want him to hire a proven, experienced OC who is a good play caller. I've read that he's a great communicator and the players love him, and that certainly is important, but with horrible play calling, the offense could be sunk and the team struggle.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I haven't really done any research on Saleh, because I don't want a defensive-minded HC. The Jets have had too many of those and they've all failed. I want the emphasis on offense, and I think we need a HC who knows how to handle QBs, especially a rookie QB. A DC is most likely not going to know that. Regardless of what an OC and QB Coach say and do, a HC can ruin a QB by putting too much pressure on him, forcing him to change the style of play that is natural to him, or being a jerk towards him. It's just too risky imo.

Saleh could be a great prospect for some team as a HC. If he has had coaching experience on the offensive side in his career, that would certainly make him more appealing to me. If he is able to hire a great OC and QB Coach, is aggressive and not conservative, isn't going to be a HC who thinks he can win with D and minimal offense, and isn't going to harp on TOs with a rookie QB, then I'd have some interest.

I just googled him. All his coaching experience has been on the defensive side. He's coached at good places: Michigan St., UGA, the Texans, Seahawks, Jaguars and Niners. He has just been an "Assistant", Quality Control or LB Coach before becoming a DC. He's 41. I really hope he's not the choice, but if he is, I'll root for him. Maybe he would belong in the 2nd or 3rd tier of candidates imo.

18. NCJetsfan

Thanks for merging these threads and bringing it back. Perhaps it should be pinned as this should be a steady topic of conversation going forward.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

In the podcast linked below the commentator claims that the Jets top and preferred candidate is Fitzgerald from Northwestern. I read an article a week or two ago claiming the same which talked a lot about the relationship between JD and Fitzgerald. Some other notes from the podcast are that JD has been working hard for awhile on researching candidates and that Gase is as good as gone.

We are a long ways out and Fitz is likely a longshot to leave NW but he is a name to keep an eye on.
    http://turnonthejets.com/2020/12/ep...rch-qb-the-latest-jets-whispers-w-nick-spano/

#199 Noam, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

rumor is john dorsey is going to hire Eric Bieniemy wherever he goes. look to the lions to hire both

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.