NY Rangers 2011-2016 Season + Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by FrankTheTank, Oct 7, 2011.

1. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Latest buzz, Rangers add 6th year so 6 years at 6 mil, it all depends on whether Cally wants to stay, the offer is more than fair, the only team that would give him more is the Sabres, who are desperate for an identity, its up to Cally...

2. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

Slats should be fired just for offering the 6th year.

I wouldn't offer him more than four years at four million per year.

Matt, I know you are a big Cally fan but he is a 3rd line grinding RW. He shouldn't be getting anywhere near 6 years at 6 million per year.

3. matt robinson 17

Have to disagree with you about his value to the team, but 6 mil Is too much I agree

4. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

I think I'm considered a pretty big "Cally Critic" around these parts, but Cally is far better than a 3rd line grinding RW. He is a legit 2nd liner that plays with heart and soul and also plays on the PP/PK.

That being said, we have two RWs that are currently more important to our team than Cally is. We can't afford another 6M per year at the RW position when he would likely be getting 3rd line RW ES time.

If the options are let Cally walk or resign him, I resign him. I want to get assets for him, though.

5. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Turn the game on, Miller gets the turnover and scores 10 seconds later.

Hell yes.

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

We need zucc back asap...cally keeps whiffing on opportunities

7. Sanchize0829

I agree that Callahan is a second liner on most teams, but the Rangers already have two RW's that fit AV's style better than Callahan. I wouldn't want to pay Callahan better than 3rd line RW money because that is the role that he is playing for the team.

8. Sanchize0829

Another poor game from Hank. I realize that not all the goals were his fault, but he should be standing on his head every game for the money that he is being paid. A league average goalie at his huge salary isn't good enough. Hank needs to play like one of the best goalies in the league, and he's definitely not been playing that way.

Sather should try to include Hagelin when trading Callahan. When was the last time he scored? He's been awful all year for the Rangers.

9. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Hagelin last scored in a 7-3 victory over the Devils in January.

Defense playing like crap. Giving up way too many quality shots.

10. matt robinson 17

The better team won, if Cally's shot off the post goes in its 3-3, instead of 4-2 when Campbell scored shorthanded, not a great game for Hank on his 32nd birthday...B's are better its simple

11. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Boston always seems to have the Rangers number. I had a feeling they were going to put up a stinker after that piss poor showing in Philly.

12. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

A true 7 million dollar player don't miss that shot ;)

13. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

8 games including last night.

Just for reference, before the Philly game, Kreider hadn't had a point (never mind goal) in 9 games, or as you like to say, since Jan 21st. All the while Kreider is playing on the top line (with top-line PP time) with our best player while Hagelin is playing on our worst line including the 4th line (with no PP time).

Trading Hagelin would be a HUGE mistake. He drives possession and is a perfect 2nd line tweener that could even be on the first line with the right players (see Richards-Gaborik, Stepan-Nash.etc).

Playing with the offensive black holes that are Richards and Callahan are why he's slumping. He's been good, and he's cheap. Our new system is predicated on speed, and he's a top-3 speed guy in the NHL, and can actually play unlike someone like Grabner. If we trade Hagelin, we better be getting a young top-6 forward back.

14. matt robinson 17

NY Rangers Zone‏@NYRangersZone11m
    Here’s the facts: Callahan has backed off 7 year contract demand, open to 6 years, $6.25-6.5M/per. NYR want to offer no more than $6M/per for 6 years

Doubt 250k/yr will be a deal breaker, its a matter of if Cally wants to go to Buffalo, its up to him

15. matt robinson 17

Hagelin is an offensive blackhole...Richie and Cally have scored in this league...we need Kreider to start flattening people again, it picks up his offensive game

16. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

Carl Hagelin career PPG (he's also in his first two years in the league with more room to improve): .554
    Ryan Callahan career PPG: .564

All the while Callahan gets tons of PP time and Hagelin gets nothing. That's a grand total of less than a point over a full 82 game season.

I'll just leave it there.

17. matt robinson 17

Couldn't hit the ocean with the puck, plenty of speed, which I like, definitely not a finisher...comparing him to Cally who has a greater body of work 132 goals in 450 games is comical...is he better than Richie too?

#11637 matt robinson 17, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  18. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

2 thousand worthless shots on goal last night. Saturday was more disappointing for me as I had last night penciled in as a loss. the bruins are simply a much better and tougher team. the rangers can create opportunities with the best teams in the league but they can't bury the puck, so it cancels out in a way ya know?

19. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

Which Richie? The Richie of old (or even 2011)? No. Current Richie? Yes.

And he makes 1/12 as much.

And as far as your finishing ability comment:

Hagelin: 12.5 shooting percentage

Callahan: 10.9 shooting percentage

Keep 'em coming. There's nobody on the team (other than Boyle) that I see miss on wide open opportunities than Callahan. He's always "so close" (see the shot off the post yesterday), but can never put it in.

20. matt robinson 17

Your delirious, your hate for Cally notwithstanding, anybody on here will tell you hags can't finish....Cally had 29 goals 2 years ago, Hags can skate and is good at losing the puck