Not firing Gase now - Could this be Chris Johnson biggest blunder ever?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Oct 17, 2020.

1. JustinDaseezin

JustinDaseezin Active Member

I heard pre-draft people were saying stay away. And then he doesn't make the team, and I believe gets traded in his rookie season. Then cut by that team.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Rams scooped him up and he already has the same amount of sacks that Henry Anderson has in his last 19 games. He's a good example of someone who didn't adjust well to the NFL (I believe he was perpetually late to meetings or something?) and needed someone to put his arm around him and say hey guy wake the fuck up or you will be shipped out. And no one did that. We just cut him before any chance of developing him.

Right. But the point is to get a really good player and try to get invited to the dance every year or as frequently as possible. A lot for the aforementioned QB's did just that. Not a lot of different teams have won SB's over the past 20 years. It's the ultimate goal but you have to start by being in the playoffs as much as possible.

#182 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  3. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Signing Darnold to team friendly short term deal wouldn’t be bad thing. This way can secure him and ether keep him or trade him. Just in case we dont get Lawrence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustinDaseezin likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Point differential is not even a thing in football. A team with higher strength of schedule will end up ahead. What I am saying is, yes, sure we prefer not to go 0-16 with terrible goal differential, but it just does not matter at this point. The Jets are already looked at as one of if not the most pathetic franchise in recent memory. What can change this if we can build around a star QB, and there seems to be a generational talent available in the draft at #1 spot. It does not really matter if record is 0-16 with worst differential, or 3-13 with not the worst differential. As long as we get #1. We need this guy to change the fortune of what has been really a pathetic franchise since 1998 with a few exceptions - last time we had a star performance from QB spot and actually were considered title contenders.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Oh for sure. Not to mention they also lost Prescott for the year.

Still looks like a REALLY bad situation in that locker room though

6. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

You missed my point. Its not about him being a sure thing or not. Its about whether he will even come out and if he does would even consider going to the worst team in the NFL? One that has shown a propensity to fail at re-building over the last decade?

No one knows what this kid will do.... But I do know one thing, being the worst team in the NFL - talent and coaching wise - is a determent, even if we drafted him.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Borat, no disagreement here, but first things first. . If we don’t have a new CS in place long before draft time, 1st pick or not we can kiss Trevor good bye. There is no way in hell he will want to come to the Jets if Gase is still the coach. The kid is not stupid and he will want a coach that knows what to do with his talents, not one that destroys them. Fuck, not even Flacco could agree with his game plan.

NCJetsfan and SOJAZ like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If he comes out, he will have go to the worst team in NFL - that's what first overall picks do, for better or worse. If he stays an extra year, he will still go to the worst team in NFL. Plus, he already said it will more than likely be his last season. He has nothing to prove, already won NC. The only guy I remember who didn't want to play for a team was Eli Manning, and Charges didn't have to trade him. They did because there were similar guys, like Rivers, available. Before that Eli put Charges hat on, posed for pictures, and that's it.

As sure as you are writing here, Gase will be gone at the latest right after season is over. This is one thing I am not worried about. I am more worried about winning 1 more meaningless game than needed for #1 overall. This team is capable of winning a few games. Sam, though inconsistent, can put together a couple of good games, and Perriman looks like a real deal too. With Becton and Mims back, I am not sure we will be going 0-16, and I hope other tankers will just win a bit more.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

10. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Borat,
    What is he says I do not want to play for NYJ...then what? Stay with Sam, trade Sam for what ever we can get, etc. Thoughts

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

It's better to just let him revel in his lunacy. Your comments will never break through.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Therein lies my biggest displeasure. JD as a good GM has released or traded players based significantly on inputs from Gase. He is not trading players if Gase object to it. At this point it should be abundantly clear Gase should not provide another input period, as it is always to the detriment of this team. Stay pat JD until this talent destroyer is gone.

Ralebird likes this.
  13. Nice to know how you feel.passive aggressive much?

Hows that all star 2020 WR corps you kept talking about? I bet you DO rationalize it by calling me a lunatic.

#193 KurtTheJetsFan, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2020
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I can't see a scenario where anyone would say that. Eli is really the only example I can think of of someone who did, and he still had no choice but to put Charges hat on and pose for the pictures when Charges drafted him, and would have no choice but to play or lose millions if they didn't trade him. NFL rules are such that a guy out of College can't really dictate the terms. Bell was the guy who actually did this, and he had to sit out a year after full rookie deal and a franchise tag. If it were up to me, I would not trade this guy no matter what he said. You'd better believe if we secure #1, whatever coach we get will be with Trevor in mind, and selected by JD. I have full confidence Trevor will be here playing for the new coach if we end up with #1.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This is why I've lost considerable faith in Douglas; he's run the Jets in lockstep with Gase, and that's disturbing.

LAJet likes this.
  16. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Well the reason why they are looked at as 'the most pathetic franchise in recent memory' is point differential, not their 0-6 record. If they made a game of it I would not have any issue - just show that you're an NFL team for cripes sake.

For one, how do we know what Trevor's thinking when he sees this 'pathetic' franchise on their performance? Do you or I know for sure that he'll play for the Jets? I don't, so if you have inside info, please show us! That point differential has an influence on one's frame of mind. 6 TD's in 6 games, that's bad. It's not just the coaching, the players have to be made accountable also. Last year they were bad , now they are worse. Can they get worse in 2021?

Regarding contenders, we didn't need a star QB when Rex took us to the AFC Championships 2 years in a row. And many thought that team was better than Pittsburgh. My point, we don't need Trevor to right this ship as I mentioned here many times. Get us a good coach do some good drafting/signing.

#196 BomberJet, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Sack exchange

Well if for crazy reason we win a couple of games, they may change mind like last year. And CJ keeps drinking the koolaid.

18. Sack exchange

#198 Sack exchange, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  19. Sack exchange

I do see a scenario where Lawrence stays in school. They keep Gase to be his QB whisperer.

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

No point of firing Gase before seasons end. If we're really going to finish 0-16? No better person to wear that badge of honor (shame) than Adam Gase himself.

Go 0-16. Get rid of Gase. Find a real head coach and draft Trevor Lawrence. The 0-16 stink will immediately become a thing of the past with a better locker room culture moving forward.

Get the #1 pick and I'm confident a coach such as Jim Harbaugh would love to rejoin the NFL with Trevor Lawrence to build around.

REVISion and Borat like this.