No way Zach should play another game for us

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Dec 18, 2022.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree. He needs to learn how to work from an NFL pocket and throw to NFL-open receivers. But that IS learnable with reps. In the meantime the Jets aren't helping him by forcing him to perform in ways he's obviously not ready for, while not calling for more plays that he could execute well right now.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

On top of that White has appeared in 8 games, and had to come out of 4 of them. He returned in 3 of the 4 but this just indicates he isn't durable enough to be "the guy" full time.

I would not pay White what he is going to command this offseason. Even if its only 10 million.

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention Geno also :) For White's comp I am hoping for Cousins, but this is besides the point.

The point I am making is that there is a fairly significant % of starters in NFL today, including really good players, who didn't break out until 24 years of age. I don't know how they would have done if they declared early and were thrown into the NFL starting spot. Most likely not great. Some didn't even play well in College at 22. These who did play some in NFL from that list, like Cousins, sucked in the limited time, and for that reason were not played more. There is a reason why these guys were not playing well in NFL until 24. Whether they didn't play well in College or didn't have good training camps, I have no idea. There aren't that many example of 22 year old guys outside of P5 who became starters right away. Maybe Zach should have stayed in school for another year or two. Then I guess he would be excused if at the same age he is right now he is not already a good NFL player.

Anyway, I think age matters and the fact there is a good group of people who needed until 24 or later for whatever reason to become decent NFL players in the current NFL starter population gives some hope for 23 year old Zach, even if it is not a great one.

#503 Borat, Dec 21, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

This is simply not true. Learning with reps is bs.

Mike White didn’t learn with reps. He didn’t play more reps than Zach has in the NFL.

If it’s Learning with reps then anyone can do it. It’s simple not that easy. QB is toughest position in all of sports .

Zach Wilson does not have the it other than a bazooka arm. He is Jay Cutler reimagined with a rollout game.

twown and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Trevor Lawrence threw 4 INTs in his 22nd start. Zach is starting his 22nd game on Thursday. Just saying..

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

So you're saying he's going to throw 4 picks tomorrow night?!? That's just great :mad:

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't know, Colorado. I am just looking at all 22: there is A LOT of open plays. The same ones he was making in BYU. Aside from a few more running plays and some rollouts, I think the game plan was good for him to torch the Lions. He has a lot to learn in the off-season. I would not put this on MiLF's game planning.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/12/21/ny-jets-zach-wilson-film-lions/
    https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/12/20/ny-jets-zach-wilson-grade-detroit-lions/

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  8. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

So many people were right on Zack and Jets didn't even see this, whoever told Jets to pick this turd needs to be fired pronto

The Herd with Colin Cowherd
    Colin Cowherd: There's a High Probability Zach Wilson Becomes a Draft Bust
    By Wil Leitner
    Apr 21, 2021

Colin Cowherd: “At least one of these quarterbacks is going to bust. You don’t like to call it because the kid could be watching this show, or see it on YouTube. I don’t like to call it but we all know out of the five taken, the precedent is that there has never been even 4 for 4. It’s never happened ever. One of them is going to be a star -- you know I think it’s Trevor Lawrence -- one or two will have more success because of where they land, one is just a bust, and one is good but lands somewhere and he can’t overcome it. Zach Wilson, to me, is the BUST for so many reasons that seem obvious. Number one, Robert Saleh is a rookie head coach in a division with three established and excellent head coaches. Even if Robert Saleh succeeds, for the first three years of Zach Wilson’s career Saleh is not going to be better than Sean McDermott and Bill Belichick, and I doubt he’s better than Brian Flores who won ten games with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tua. So he’s got the fourth-best head coach. I can argue it’s the worst ownership situation. It’s easily the worst offensive line. The quotes from this Athletic article [from an anonymous QB coach], everybody says the same thing. ‘Big concerns’, ‘huge risk’, ‘you don’t see him in a tight pocket at BYU, our league is a tight pocket league.’ He’s not the biggest guy and he’s slender looking with a bad O-line in a great defensive division. When he’s good, he’s good, but when he’s bad, he’s REALLY bad… When you read all this stuff about him he sounds like a smaller Sam Darnold. HUGE mistakes and love his athletic ability."

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Dude you had these same arguments about Darnold with Gase. You can’t run a play action bootleg every other play. The only way this works is if you have the best run blocking offensive line in the league like the Browns did and even then it only works for so long.

Stefanski did it successfully with this formula until the league caught onto the Baker Mayfield experience and realized he was crap and told the defensive end to just rush up field and stay at home.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

There have been many many posts by many people offering some variation on the opinion that the Jets haven't developed Zach, they haven't helped Zach develop, they "never" develop quarterbacks etc etc etc. Almost to the point where I believe some have taken it as fact.

My only point is that I'm sure that the Jets, and Zach himself, are trying very hard to make him a better QB. I'm sure he's getting the best help available. Or at the very least they thought they were getting him the best possible help available.

It may not be working well. But I can't accept that its because of lack of effort.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO, at this point, all the discussions about Zach development are mute for the season. He is not going to miraculously do a lot of the things we hoped for. All we can hope for, till Mike comes back, if he comes back, for this team as an entity to figure a way to squeeze in a few wins with whatever means we have too. Saying he needs to do more of this and less of that is wishful thinking. I fully expect the supporting members in the running game, O line, special teams and our solid D find a way to garnish a win or two. Where we go next year with this QB staff is currently an eternity away.
    And yes, frankly I dont give two shits right now what Colin said about Zach in 2021. I want this CS to pull some magic for this team as currently constituted. We are just to fucking close to give up.

ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/c...rows-nfl-career-has-bust-written-all-over-it/

Colin Cowherd: Joe Burrow's NFL Career Has Bust Written All Over It

Colin Cowherd: “I’m critical of Joe Burrow. Not him, he’s a ‘B+’ prospect, but I don’t think Joe is talented enough playing the Ravens, Steelers and Browns’ defensive fronts twice a year to overcome it. I think he’s going to get beat up a lot and not be nearly as good as a number one quarterback should be… He doesn’t have a great arm and where he goes is going to matter. Carson Palmer was way more talented than any of the guys in this draft – 6’4”, rocket arm, good body, could move, he was PERFECT – there’s no Carson Palmer in this Draft. Palmer had to leave Cincinnati to have a higher winning percentage.”

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Colin is wrong a lot more than he is right. Sam Darnold was the sure fire cant miss QB in his monologue. I now feel a lot better about Zach long term future after been reminded of what Colin said. .

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Damn he loved Carson Palmer’s body.

15. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

It's almost poetic that you listen to him.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Such characterizations would carry much more weight if specifics were cited. I still don't know why you have no problem naming names that no one has used to support their claims. It's a school of red herrings.

#516 Ralebird, Dec 21, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I have zero clue where you are going with this. Are you talking about which members? As if you didn’t know. We all read the same posts.

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Meh, sportscasters throw ridiculous stuff against the wall in a show of bravado and if they're "right" about something, anything, sticking, they'll re-visit it and chest thump over it whenever the opportunity presents. "And everybody laughed, who's the clown now?" If they're wildly wrong, you never hear about it again.

The crowning of Darron Lee as the next Dick Butkus and Robbie Anderson as the next Jerry Rice on this board by Abby Normal is a prime example of this self-aggrandizing tactic.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Cowherd was not being sincere with this. He knew Zach was going to the Jets and bashed him because the Jets were moving on from Darnold. Yes, he turned out to be "right," but it had nothing to do with his football acumen, only that the object of his vendetta happened to be a bust.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No shit dude. Who said this?

bicketybam likes this.