No way Zach should play another game for us

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Dec 18, 2022.

1. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

For MLF ‘s sake, offense runs more efficient with MW, then he probably wants MW.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Manning and Ryan Leaf....?

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  3. stinkyB

DAMMIT! I HATE CHEEZ_WHIZ :mad:

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

stinkyB likes this.
  5. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

I think our defense is good. Top 5-12 d. They are not top 5. Too many stupid mistakes and too many conversions on 3rd and long. LBs are the weakness. Corners are very good, safeties are suspect. Front four is good. Q is great.

6. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

It is a different offense. They are completely different types of QBs.

7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

loss was definitely on our Offense and if we're honest Zach. Lions have been scoring points and we held them to one offensive touchdown on a trick play

our run was crap because Lions were challenging us to throw the ball. SO one might want to blame the O-line and RBs, but i wouldn't be too quick with that judgment.

Receivers were again getting visibly upset with Zach late in the game, as they know they were open enough and an opportunity was lost.

i am pulling for Zach (and will continue to pull for Zach) but if i'm honest with myself it's because i'm a Jets fan and not because of objective reality. There are a lot of guys in this league who would have won the game for us yesterday.

Not sure how it will shake out but there are some tough decisions ahead. If I were in charge, I'd get MW out there as soon as he's healthy enough. It would energize the troops and he provides enough accuracy and reliability for MLF to work with. Jets would be wise to continue to draft QBs and wiser still if they let them sit for at least a year to develop

8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

ZW may put things together one day, but this franchise can't wait for him. As long as MW is hurt, ZW is the guy. But MW is the better overall QB so he should go right back in as soon as he can. I think that question was answered yesterday. ZW made some nice plays yesterday, but missed too many easy ones and continue to feel he's lacking in the fundamentals needed to be a good NFL QB.

For Thursday, ZW gives them a better chance to win than Flacco

SOJAZ, papapump and Jets79 like this.
  9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Zach is bad at playing quarterback. Period.

Jets-N-Terps, SOJAZ and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I thought the SNY guys had a nice breakdown:

SOJAZ and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  11. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

"makes the hard look easy but makes the easy look hard"..that is Zach in a Nutshell...or as a friend of fine put it, if you could combine the best of Mike White with the best of Zach Wilson you would have an awesome QB.

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

You said my statement wasn't even remotely true but then proceeded to confirm the exact same thing I said in my post.

Again, not saying Zach wasn't without blame for yesterday, his inaccuracies definitely took points off the board but so did the lack of a run game and the OL's inability to block effectively in either phase.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. stinkyB

There's another reason there's a lack of run game with Zach under center

#253 stinkyB, Dec 19, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    fggrimes, SOJAZ and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

No, That was Braxton Berrios.

dawinner127 and cval like this.
  15. burf

burf Well-Known Member

The thing that almost everyone ignores, is Zach is a kid, & in a large sense has been left on his own to figure things out. He's not being developed as a QB... that's totally on him, since there's nobody in the organization that has any experience developing a QB. Saleh's a D guy. MLF is a geek, who can design plays. He's never developed a QB, & still doesn't show much ability to put the talent he has at his disposal, in positions to succeed. Just Zach yesterday... he played a decent 1st-half, especially when on the move. In the 2nd-half, MLF decided to ignore Zach's successes, instead forcing him to be a pocket passer, which Zach is obviously having issues with. And then there's Zach's QB coach, who has little experience as an NFL coach, & none as a QB coach. So, where's any prospect of development? Zach's only chance will come, when he has a knowledgeable coach, which will probably be on a different team, unless JD/Saleh wake-up & bring in a qualified QB coach to help teach Zach the facts-of-life.

ColoradoContrails, cval and NY Jets68 like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I never put the blame for losing the game on the "D". I blamed the defense for giving up a backbreaking TD. There were obviously other actors that led to the loss.

17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

In another thread, someone posted Josh Rosen’s first year stats (13 games) against Zach’s stats through 13 games and they were almost identical. Completion rate, yards, picks to TD ratio…it was uncanny

Arizona cut bait after one year and we’re proven right as Rosen failed in three places after that.

I get that ZW and Rosen are two different players, but the on field performance was very close, and they both seem to have personality issues in the locker room (who knows really but body language indicates it’s true)…

just one more data point to show that QBs who look like this early don’t often turn it around

but I also agree with comments around coaching…this offense needs a distributor who processes quickly and moves from read to read almost instantly and then throws with tight accuracy and touch….ZW does NONE of those things well….ZW is better on the move playing backyard ball and using his athleticism and strong arm to make big plays…we saw that clearly yesterday.

so to me, you either change the offense or you change the QB, but this marriage will not work. ZW can’t play this way. He just can’t.

18. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

To add to this, really no system is built on a backyard QB so to speak which is where and how ZW makes all his big plays. Yes Mahomes Allen run around and make highlight throws off script. But they can also sit in the pocket, feel the pressure, step up and sling it to their 3rd and 4th reads from the pocket.

Then there's Hurts and Fields and Jackson, not pocket passers at all who go through progressions but they can win games straight up running. Zach isn't that either.

Seems like Zach is in no man's land.

And fwiw, you can win in this league without being a mobile QB. You can actually do it while being quite stationary just gotta have protection. See: Brady, Stafford, Foles, both Mannings, Flacco (SB winners) also Garapollo, Ryan, Rivers (near SB winners)

SOJAZ, Jets79 and Since1969 like this.
  19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Good call Atlanta.

The other line in that video that hit me was when Willie said how you could watch some highlights, see some flashy plays and draw the conclusion that Zach played OK. But if you watched the "game within the game he was god awful"

Coming from former players? Ouch.

Ralebird, IIMeanDeanII, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Then you shouldn't expect great If they aren't. You know? Expectations aren't realistic sometimes.