No more Tight Ends please

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Did u read what what u wrote your arguement is basically saying since the GIANTS picked him in the 1st round if we pick davis he's gona turn out EXACTLY like him.smh

:rofl:

2. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I could've just as easily posted that about any position. Ryan Leaf (QB), Lawrence Phillips (RB), Courtney Brown (DE)....the list goes on.

3. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

Great post!

Vernon Davis is a beast and would do wonders for our offense.

I don't care how many tight ends we have. Davis is just the type of playmaker this offense needs.

4. Gunther

Gunther Member

Another thing about Davis
    The guy he was practicing against in College was Shawn Merriman the Rookie Defensive Player of the year.....He says Shawn would sometimes get the best of him and he the best of Shawn....
    It's not like homeboy was going up against swiss cheese.....

5. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

I just posted this in a different thread regarding Vernon Davis.....figured it fits in here as well.....

"I understand TE is considered a "luxury" position, but guys like this don't come around too often.

He has the potential to make everyone on our offense better. Defenses will have to pay attention to him and his speed alone will create mismatches.

What we have here is essentially a WR in a TE's body. Lets not forget the fact that the guy can block pretty well also.

I know people will say we need to select D'brick because O-line is more of a need.

Yes, the O-line IS a massive need, but because this draft is so deep, we can address it in the later rounds (or at 29). I've said it before, you've got a much better chance of striking gold on the O-line in the later rounds then you do of landing a playmaker of Davis' caliber.

Also, I understand we have a bunch of tight ends on our roster, but not one of them will make a defensive coordinator cringe in any way. Davis (IMHO) will.

People can question this all they want, but I guarentee on game day, when big Vern is trucking down the field and leaving the trampled remains of DBs in his wake, you'll all be glad he's doing it in green and white."

6. Coach K

Coach K New Member

this debating is senseless, but in all actuality people who support the D'Brick pick act as if we have 1 pick in the draft to adress our OL.

First off D'Brick isnt even THAT amazing. not to take at 4 when we have so many picks, thats for sure. ok so hes completely chiseled......good for him. He'll still be underweight once he starts doing daily practices and drills. him "BEEFING" up after the college season was over, is a result of doing alot more weightlifting as opposed to the amount of cardio he'll get once hes back to actually playing again. on top of that how can he be called the best prospect in quite some time when you cant give him a solid grade in both Pass and Run block?

i'm just sick of the talk about how "people who dont want D'Brick dont understand the value of OL" .

Vernon Davis would open up our offense tenfold, require double teams leaving Recievers open, not to mention making plays himself.

last time i checked they do let you pick OL after the #4 overall. i mean how about we actually address the fact we have NO RT, NO C, and Kendall at LG will be gone very soon.

So considering Jones at LT is one of the youngest besides Moore at RG, I would rather take the best Skill/Defensive player available at 4(or whatever spot we might trade down to) AND THEN TAKE THE BEST C/G/RT available with the early picks.

Your then getting an impact player and addressing our other OL positions.

7. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

So if we have a string of bad QBs drafted, does that mean we should never ever try to draft a QB again? We could be the first team to run a 3 back set with no QB.

8. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vernon Davis is a matchup nightmare, with the speed of a WR but the size of a TE, that is the exact thing we need we can play him outside or use him in a 2 TE set, what we need most on offense isn't an olineman but a guy that can score TDs, a person that can give our WRs an easier time at getting open, and a gamebreaking playmaker, and we don't have a guy like that, Davis would be a perfect fit to any offense that we want to use.

9. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

hes been "beefing" up since sophmore year. he was like 260lbs his sophmore yr and has steadily added 30lbs, maintained it, and added more weight all over 2 years, all why playing 11 games a year, so that debunks the theory of him shrinking once he starts playing. He was around 295 i think when his senior season ended and he put on another 20lbs by the combine. I dont think we have to worry about his weight. If anything, we should be impressed because that shit takes a commitment. I dont think I've ever committed to anything for 2 yrs.

10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Nothing Like letting our past Dictate our Future!!
    Uggggh.:rolleyes:

If he's the best player available. DONE!
    I'm not 100% sold on this guy or D'Brick.
    RB, QB equally top priorities.

11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

totally agree that RB and QB should be TOP priorities--unless we want to get Vinny off the couch again or keep watching Martin struggle to get around the end or get to the line of scrimmage.

12. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Very well said, Clown Face. Some may call the position a "luxury", but I feel that we truly could help our offense more with Davis then Brick at this point. We can go with McNeill, Mangold, or someone along those lines at 29 or 35 for the line. There's no one else in the draft like Davis, not has there been for a while. His is a defense's worst nightmare for coverage; fast AND strong. I saw him play live at MD, and I'm convinced he's the real deal.

At this point, none of our WRs are true playmakers. Rather, Coles is solid, McCairens is inconsistent, and Cotchery is not there yet. Davis not only has the potential to be a very good blocker with his build (which would, in turn, help the OL in a way), he has the potential to dominate the field by himself and takes pressure off of our recievers. I'd be happy if we grabbed Davis, especially if we found some way to trade with SF into the 6th slot.

LMAO, I'm so sick of people bringing up past draft history. This is not the same Jets team, and this is a totally different player than Brady or Becht ever were or had the potential to be. This guy was in my top 10 before the combine, which only further helped him.

13. greenthumb

greenthumb New Member

You guys have to stop looking at Davis as a TE and looking at him as the best receiver in the draft. Considering Martin and Sowell were our 3rd and 4th most used receivers last year. That shows a huge lack of production from our TE position.
    I would love to See Davis get locked up on a LB and watch a quick slant go for 15 yards a pop. Plus I'm not sure Chad or Patrick can throw anything else consistantly.
    As Far as taking a QB I would rather trade down to around 10 and If Cutler is gone offer the pick to the Falcons for Schaub because he is already NFL proven. If I had to Choose straight up on Young, Leinart, Cutler, or Schaub I think I would take Schaub because he is tested.

14. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

:rofl: Looks like we're on the same page.

I typed this in a similar thread.....

15. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

I would love Mcneill at 29. He looks like he's going to be a beast!

Side bar: Your avatar is hilarious :rofl:.

16. CmartinHOF

CmartinHOF New Member

agreed, we dont need a TE..................we have 4 on the roster!!!!!!! Baker and Jolley can compete for the starting job while Dreesen can block and Dearth can Long Snap