NFL.com REPORTS ABE TO SEATTLE!? - Merged X6

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Electric Cedric 34, Mar 17, 2006.

1. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

your damn right hobbes 22 or lower no less

2. curtisstaysforever28

report on abe

the jets have agreed on trading abe to seatle for their 1st round pick, but abe needs to agree with seatle on a contract. so either abe agrees on a contract with seatle and we get the #31 overall, or the falcons finally bite and give up who we want assuming they really want abe, which would give us schaub and most likely a 2nd round pick.
    link to article...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2372951

Its still a long time before either of these trades will happen, i just thought it was good to know

#62 curtisstaysforever28, Mar 17, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  3. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

we just traded for Ramsey, I doubt we trade for schuab too. And this has been posted numerous times

4. curtisstaysforever28

5. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

NYT: Ramsey Joins Jets, Abe Wants Out

NY TIMES

Ramsey Joins Jets; Abraham Wants Out

By JUDY BATTISTA
    March 18, 2006

The Jets made one of their biggest moves of the off-season yesterday, acquiring quarterback Patrick Ramsey from the Washington Redskins, and were working toward another by trying to trade the disgruntled defensive end John Abraham.

The Jets want to trade Abraham to the Seattle Seahawks, who have made the best offer, a first-round pick (31st over all), according to a person familiar with the negotiations who was granted anonymity because the deal was not complete.

Whether Seattle would be able to meet Abraham's long-term contract demands remains a question because the Seahawks are waiting for an arbitrator to rule on the fate of the All-Pro guard Steve Hutchinson. Seattle tagged Hutchinson as a transition player and he signed an offer sheet with the Minnesota Vikings. The Seahawks want to keep Hutchinson, but there is a dispute over what portion of the Vikings' offer sheet they would have to match to sign him.

Abraham does not want to go to Seattle, according to the same person involved in the negotiations, and would prefer Atlanta, which is close to his home in South Carolina. The Falcons are believed to have reached a contract agreement with Abraham, but they do not want to part with their first-round draft pick.

Abraham's departure from the Jets was a foregone conclusion when the Jets put the franchise tag on him for a second consecutive year rather than negotiate a long-term deal. The Jets have given Abraham permission to seek a trade, but a team must be able to accommodate both parties: Abraham's contract demands and the Jets' trade demands.

Ramsey's arrival had been forecast for days. The deal is a good one from the Jets' point of view because they only gave up a sixth-round pick for an experienced quarterback who will compete with Chad Pennington for the starting job.

Acquiring Ramsey does not preclude the Jets from taking a quarterback with the fourth pick in the April draft, where they could be in position to grab Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler or Vince Young.

Pennington is recovering from shoulder surgery for the second time in less than a year, and his ability to throw is a concern for the Jets.

Ramsey said in a statement released by the Jets that he was grateful that Coach Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum, the Jets general manager, brought him to the team. "I understand coach Mangini is going to play the best players, and that is all I can ask for."

Ramsey was a former first-round draft pick with a strong arm and a four-year veteran who started 11 games in 2003. He compiled a quarterback rating of 75.8 that season for Steve Spurrier, the coach at the time, completing 179 of 337 passes for 2,166 yards, 14 touchdowns and 9 interceptions.

Ramsey twice lost the starting job under Coach Joe Gibbs, who prefers more experienced quarterbacks. Gibbs showed little confidence in Ramsey, making his first personnel move after he returned in 2004 with the acquisition of Mark Brunell.

Last spring, the Redskins moved up in the draft to select another quarterback, Jason Campbell, who they hope will be their quarterback of the future.

Ramsey started one game last season, the season opener, and lasted fewer than 30 minutes. He was shaken up in the second quarter, and although he was cleared to return, Brunell started the second half. The next day, Gibbs benched Ramsey and made Brunell the starter again.

Ramsey, who has a 10-14 record as a starter and a career 75 quarterback rating, had asked to be traded in the past.

"We appreciate Patrick's contributions during his time here with the Washington Redskins," Gibbs said in a statement released by the Redskins. "Through this entire process we always wanted what was best for Patrick and in working with him we feel this is where he wants to be."

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

:eek:hmy: :eek:hmy: Your dad is awesome. Who is his source? TGG maybe? :eek:hmy:

7. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

yea honestly......this has been posted about 30 times

8. The Dark Knight

I know Patrick Ramsey. I like him. Good guy.

I know Chad Pennington. I like him. Good guy.

Both not so good at the whole quarterback thing. No. Not really. :sad:

9. curtisstaysforever28

this was posted when it was a rumor, its no longer a rumor. i actually ahve a link this time. and i'm sorry, i dont live on this site, i dont see every thread

10. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I don't buy that, about Seattle. He was saying how much he enjoyed his visit there. Besides, if they offer him the money, I'm sure he'll be changing his tune about Seattle.

11. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

The ESPN site you linked had the article written at 5:53pm.

Its been discussed all night on a million threads.

But thanks anyway

12. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

No doubt, I think he'll go to whichever team offers him the most money. If the Seahawks and Falcons both offer him the same, he'd probably go to the Falcons, but we don't have to trade him there.

13. Falconner

Falconner New Member

According to Chris Mortensen the Seattle Seahawks have just about 0% at landing John Abraham unless they can convince him personally to leave Atlanta and head back to Seattle to discuss contract terms. Apparently they offered Abraham a deal in his last visit which according to Mortesen seemed to be right around where the Falcons offer is and he still wanted to visit Atlanta before making any decisions. This being said, Mortensen then pointed out that John Abraham has stressed over and over again to his agents, friends, Seattle Seahawk officials, New York Jet officials that his desire is to be a Falcon. Apparently it seems as if though in pure speculation John Abraham has forced the Jets hand in trading him to Atlanta or he will not sign the one year tender offered to him by the Jets allowing them to trade him. This has really made the situation tough for the Jets because in the end they really have no choice but to trade him to Atlanta or watch him sit the whole season. Bottom line according to Mortensen is that John Abrahamhas said he will not schedule any other visits with any other NFL Team as according to him and his agent he has already made the final decision on where he wants to be. Both Mortensen and Clayton said that a trade to Atlanta is all but immenent and should be finalized sometime this weekend.

I have no link to this but it's something I found on the FMB, from a guy in Cali. that watched the NFL show and resumed it.

Well New Yorkers looks likes you guys will have alot of draft picks this year ..

14. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Ok.

Trading Abe to Seattle is WAAAY better than trading him to Atlanta. We got Ramsey for a steal as a back up QB allready. We don't don't need Schaub. Now let's get another #1 pick. #31 is still plenty high.

God I hate Abe....

15. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Me .... I tell em to sign the franchise tender or have fun sitting the season out WITHOUT pay.

He won't sit out .. not a chance.

Now this is if Atlanta wants to play hardball. We have a first on the table. Atlanta has to up their offer if they want Abe ... or if Abe wants out that badly he can go to Seattle.

The Jets hold the cards here ... not Abe and not Atlanta. They have the cap room to get through this year with Abe counting against it.

16. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

I have no link to this but it's something I found on the FMB, from a guy in Cali. that watched the NFL show and resumed it.

Is there an English translation of this sentence that we Northerners could understand?

17. The Dark Knight

Abe's helmet and jersey should have his face on them.

18. Falconner

Falconner New Member

So I went to see my dad, telling him I was getting married, I told him she is beautiful, smart, funny and a virgin. My dad responded by saying that's all nice son, but I have problem with the "virgin" part. If she's no good for her family she damn won't be good for ours ....

19. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I have been a huge Abraham supporter and I think the Jets will miss his play on the field. However, this latest chapter is absurd. If he wants out, that's one thing, but to say he will only go to one team - Atlanta - and that team is not offering close to value for him - well that's just ridiculous. I would tell Abraham that if he wants out, he goes to the team that offers the Jets, not John Abraham, the best deal. If Abraham doesn't want to go anywhere but Atlanta and Atlanta is unwilling to part with their #1, then tell Abraham to prepare to be a Jet next year or he can sit out. His choice - Jets hold the cards.

20. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

Screw what he wants, the jets FO can't mess this up. Don't let him dictate where he goes. Stick with the seattle deal, eventually abe will have to come around after all he'll still get his money and in the end that's all he really seems to care about.