New York Jets to cut Faneca....per NJ.com

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Matty Jets, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I thought the pundits thought he was more of a project as RT and at guard not so much.

2. ........

........ Trolls

They feel he's better suited to guard, but it's still a transition and he still has aspects of his technique he needs to work on. Again, I hope he picks up the position quickly and that Callahan does a fantastic coaching job. I'm glad he's our OL coach for this one. I'm also glad that if he does have to start, he's sandwiched between Brick and Nick.

3. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

All signs indicate we intend to pass the ball more this season than last. On that basis it makes sense to move on from a guard who is a liability in pass protection. Whether it's Hunter, Turner, Slauson, Ducasse or someone else is likely to be a critical decision, one we cannot afford to get wrong.

4. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Rex likes big O-Linemen. Faneca weighs what ??? 310-315lbs, 33 yrs old . Jets have needed a bigg beefy OL for years. Get ready for some real "Ground & Pound"...lol

5. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Have to disagree with you here. Good players are obviously important, but chemistry is huge. Experience of playing together allows players to anticipate their teammates' actions.

You often hear of players who claim they have developed an almost telepathic understanding with a teammate. This is nothing more than a function of their having played together for a long period. They've seen almost everything there is to see and know how their teammate will respond to almost any given situation.

On the o-line, this translates into smooth picking up of blitzes and stunts and changes in blocking assignments as a defense shifts prior to the snap. It's hugely important, IMO.

6. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Honestly...I'm xcited as all heavens with all the player movement going on, but Jets may actually take a step back this upcoming season & next season is there time to {shine} go all the way. Thats just how I see it. {Now I'll take a Superbowl if it comes} Sanchez will be entering his 3rd season by then & he will then be ready...This season is just another primer for him. Also Jets roster will be stacked by then & there core group of players will still be young & in there primes. :jets:

7. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Frees up 2011 cap space for Mangold, revis, harris etc for that reason its a sensible move.

8. Ten

Ten Active Member

He's on the decline but he's probably the most important part of our run game.Our bread and butter play is a run right with faneca pulling to the right.I'd guess that a quarter of our running plays haave Faneca pulling.Some examples:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/09000d5d813b02a7/Greene-33-yd-TD-run
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/09000d5d8129c847/Thomas-Jones-Highlight-WK-01-vs-Texans-2009
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/09000d5d8129c697/Thomas-Jones-Highlight-WK-01-vs-Texans-2009

I love the Ducasse pick,he sounds like he could be great but he's very raw at the moment.He needs work and I feel it's a downgrade for 2010 season to start him instead of Faneca.

I hope this isn't Pete Kendall part two.The jets think they can plug anybody into the o-line and it will work.

9. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Don't have time to read 9 pages (off to work on a Sat morning, ugh) but it was pretty obvious in Tannys Rd. 2 press conference that AF was a goner from the way Mr T absolutely avoided talking about him in the futire tense.

I think he served an important role in binging this line together and helpinjg the kiddies grow up, but they're all grown up now and he is declining, so...it's a cold busness.

But he was well compensated and will have a great life after fottball with all his millions, and he doesn't have to go to work right now like me, so I'm not feelin too sorry for him even though I greatly appreciate all he did in helping that OL become the best in the business.

10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I usually go through a whole thread and then come back and reply to some comments since I sure yours has been replied to.
    Ducasse is raw in many aspects of his game. He is not a plug and play draft pick. Why would the Jets get rid of a liability in the pass block game to put someone right in that would likely get Sanchez killed?
    Don't say there is no debate to be had because obviously more than one person disagrees with you.

I also think the whole story about releasing Faneca will be shown to be bullshit. I may be wrong but it does not make sense on so many levels. He still gets $5.25M guaranteed as mentioned by others, he is still damn good in run blocking and Ducasse needs time to develop.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That's how I feel as well..... the timing just doesn't make sense. If anything why would MikeT tip his hand (draft needs) mid draft?

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What needs? He thinks he just drafted his need to replace him.

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

My point exactly.

We drafted Ducasse who was expected to go at the top of the second round. He wasn't drafted to sit on the bench.

Slauson hasn't showed us any reason to believe he will keep his roster spot, much less take the starting job away from an animal like Ducasse.

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

you don't think this presents the need for more depth on the o-line?

15. The Waterboy

Seems a few people outside TGG think he needs to work on some things, that would be a project.
    http://www.1010wins.com/pages/6880768.php?contentType=4&contentId=5981045
    Ducasse is considered an outstanding run blocker who needs work on his footwork and technique. He could move to guard as a backup to Alan Faneca and Brandon Moore.
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/04/jets_select_massachusetts_offe.html
    ..Tannenbaum said. “He obviously has the physical attributes. From a technique standpoint, it’s not completely clean. We’re excited about his long-term prognosis with us… This guy had all the attributes we wanted.”
    http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news/state/new_jersey/20100423_ap_jetsselectolducasseinsecondroundofdraft.html
    "We're excited about his long-term prognosis," general manager Mike Tannenbaum said. "What he'll play, where he'll play, that will be determined on the field."

16. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Slauson is our LG for 2010 and ducasse our 2011 RT.

Slauson was as raw as they come and under callahan all the right vibes have been mentioned with regards to his play. I am sure Callaghan was integral in his selection

With Brick coming on so strong its now easier to slot a LG in with less exp than it was 2 seasons ago

17. The Waterboy

Sometimes where there is smoke, there is just a smokescreen.

18. The Waterboy

I doubt $1.5M is going to go too far and when you factor in having to pay $5.5M anyway if he is cut it does not make sense.

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

20. The Waterboy

Slauson saw limited action in 3 games last year. This is hardly an indication he is ready to step in right now.