New York Jets to cut Faneca....per NJ.com

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Matty Jets, Apr 24, 2010.

1. 624

624 Banned

I was just referring to Jets fans as a whole, not you individually but I see your point as well.

2. ........

........ Trolls

Apparently, we simply disagree on the sense of certainty this team should take heading into a possible SB season. It seems like an awfully big assumption to make that we'll find a FA replacement if we decide Slauson or Ducasse aren't going to step up this season. Why not seek out a replacement and THEN cut Faneca? The way the news is generally reported, a FA is signed and brought in before the player he's replacing is cut, unless that cut is made early in the offseason. I can't recall another player getting cut the night of the draft.

3. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I have to agree the timing sucks. The only thing I can figure is that something happened. Not a conspiracy theory because I have no idea what the catalyst may have been. That said it sure seems the Jets are hell bent to GHTFO. It is very weird imo.

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Who the fuck knows? Maybe there was an incident behind the scenes with Faneca and the coaching staff. Maybe they decided to keep him around in case they couldn't get any depth in the draft. Maybe they decided to hold onto him until the draft just to see if they can get anything for him but promised him that if they didn't then they would let him go as soon as possible so he can find a new job. Maybe he threw a shit fit before the Lombardi article came to light.

5. ........

........ Trolls

They absolutely wanted to protect themselves, and seeking ways to move him is the right move. I just don't see any logic in cutting him tonight. Hell, even tomorrow night would have been a better move.

6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Im very much so in agreement with you. The only thing I can think of is that something will come out in the next few days that will make us all go "ohhhhhh so thats what hapepned".. something behind the scenes that expedited this move to tonight during the draft.

7. ........

........ Trolls

That's the only thing I can figure. He pissed someone off. That's the only thing that makes sense, and even then, it's a dangerous precedent to be setting. I've never seen anyone get cut in the middle of the draft before.

8. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Not a fan of this. He still has 1 good year left and despite being shit at Pass protection he's still one of the best run blockers around. If this is the fucking case we should have traded up for that wilderbeast Iuapati.

9. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Seriously... cut him after the draft, not during. I guess no one wanted to offer anything for Faneca.

10. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

10 bucks says he jizzed in Rex's banana smoothie.

11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

so we have people that are saying the guy nobody had ever heard of 6 hours ago is going to jump right in and start after playing against 225 lb. defensive ends in a d2 school.

and we have others who are saying we will be using slauson, who as was pointed out really hasnt had a chance to show much of anything to anyone. i guess those reps on the scout team must have cinched it.

i have to think there is something else being planned be it a free agent pick up or something. i just dont have that much confidence in putting one of the most underrated positions in football in the hands of a completely unproven commodity.

now please understand i couldnt stand faneca, i thought he was absolutely terrible last year. but i have to agree, what is the motivation and what is the deal with the timing. as he is still the most proven guy at the position.

maybe, and i really hope not but maybe rex might be putting too much confidence into guys prematurely. he did after all say 5 minutes after drafting him that the kid out of boise would be the starting nickel back.... which i found very interesting as even number 1 picks tend to need to do something to earn their position on the team.

12. CatoTheElder

I'm just going to flat out say it, I don't think Faneca can do it anymore. Not at the level that the Jets need him to. I don't think it is going to be too difficult to replace him because his game has fallen off. A lot.

13. XxceenxX

XxceenxX New Member

We cut him because we have alot of depth and we have not had an injury on the line in 2 years..And turner and hunter are gonna battle to start for now...Turner filled in for mangold last year and steamrolled defenders...Hunter filled in as a TE or 6th lineman last year alot..
    I think we could have waited for a GUARD because there easier to find in the 4th,5th,6th,7th rd...

14. ........

........ Trolls

I agree with the last part. His game has fallen off tremendously. I sure as hell hope Slauson/Ducasse is ready to step in immediately. Either way, love the Ducasse pick for our future.

Also, just checked, and Faneca's guaranteed money is indeed reduced by the amount another team pays him this season. That definitely should make the financial issues more tenable.

15. CatoTheElder

I'll agree, it's weird. But I'm not sure what precedent this is setting here.

Ever since last year, I noticed that Rex and Tannenbaum have an understanding with the locker room that they are going to hear one thing, which will be the truth, while the public will hear something completely different, which will be a smoke screen. Rex spent all offseason prior to the draft last year saying that he had his quarterback on the roster when the entire team knew that they were going to target a QB in the roster(according to Ratliff and Clemens in separate interviews).

I'm fully expecting that Faneca knew that today could be the last possible day he was a Jet. Tannenbaum and Woody probably wanted to try to get something for the $5million they were paying Faneca. They probably figured that they had a better chance of getting something closer to what they wanted for him if he suddenly became available during the draft than if he was sitting on the trading block all offseason so they asked him to stay on and see if it could work, provided that they would let him go as soon as possible so he can get a jump on a new deal.

Then again, he had a lot of bad blood with Pittsburgh at the end of his tenure there and I could also easily see something happening where the relationship between him and the organization soured, he threw a shit fit, and the Jets decided to see what, if anything, they could get for him before the just gave him the axe.

Either one of those two actually seem plausible to me.

16. XxceenxX

XxceenxX New Member

We needed CODY and screwed it up cause jenks can't last half a season..

17. EnigmatiC

EnigmatiC Member

For the people wondering why we didn't get any kind of value for Faneca Jane McManus for ESPN New York mentioned about a no trade clause in her twitter. I don't know if it's true but it would definitely explain it. Maybe someone here knows for sure??

18. CatoTheElder

So, just a theory, they could be banking on some team missing out on an OLine prospect, getting kind of desperate when all of a sudden, "Oh shit, Alane Faneca!" and goodbye $1million or so in cheques from Woody Johnson to Alan Faneca.

19. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

And how did you expect us to draft Cody? Screwed up? He went BEFORE our selection at pick 61 and we weren't armed with enough to move up. We ended up with the guy we targeted without forfeiting picks.

20. 624

624 Banned

Just because you've never heard of him doesn't mean no one has....