New York Jets to cut Faneca....per NJ.com

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Matty Jets, Apr 24, 2010.

1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Obviously Tanny exhausted all his options to try and trade this guy, but how to you trade a LG in his mid-30's who is due that much money over the next 2 years and is clearly declining? It's basically imopssible.

2. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

The article said that apparently Woody was mad about not selling enough seats at the new stadium, so cutting big-contract players would be a way to make up for that.

3. ........

........ Trolls

I'd be careful with the "it can't be any worse" attitude, though. I would have liked to SEE something before he got cut. Why cut him tonight? He's not due any roster bonuses or anything. Why not keep him until we can actually SEE how the line performs with the other two?

4. ........

........ Trolls

That's a bullshit story, then. Woody is paying just about as much to cut him as he would be to keep him. This move has no financial positives for Woody.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

phuck that... this team was #1 in rushing in the league last year. WHY phuck with that now? Bad enough to dump a big part of that unit, but at least try and get something for him....... it's not like dumping him gets the JETS under the cap, or even saves them a bunch of money. The 1 main knock on the new prospect is that he's "RAW" . I even thought he (faneca was way OVERRATED last year (in pass defense) but why f- with chemistry now.

I HOPE I'm WRONG.

:shit::drunk:

#85 stinkyB, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

As others have said, maybe there was a problem with him. Maybe they saw all they needed to see last season.

7. franzman9

franzman9 Member

Faneca is too old and lacks the ability to be a productive pass blocker. This team wants to take the step forward and have a offense that can match the abilities of its defense. Rex wants a well rounded team and the time to make this move is now. Save the signing bonus for an extension on a important player, and inject some youth into our developing offensive line.

8. ........

........ Trolls

The former, sure. The latter? We saw NOTHING of Slauson. I just don't understand why you wouldn't wait for some certainty. I can't see any downside to waiting until camp.

9. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Logan Mankins or Jahri Evans?
    I know they're RFAs, but what's the rule on that? I don't think they'd cost that much $$$.

10. CatoTheElder

They dumped arguably the weakest link in the OLine tonight. We were 32 in the league in passing attempts and he still managed to give up more sacks than any other guard. He's not even the road grade he used to be.
    It's clear the Jets don't want him on the team so we know him staying wasn't an option. Aside from that, how many teams want to give the Jets anything so they can pay the worst pass blocking guard in 2009 over $5million?
    Mostly for performance reasons. Faneca wasn't getting the job done. How long is that chemistry going to last if the old man is the one getting the sophomore QB killed?

11. ........

........ Trolls

Now, one thing that does offset the financial aspect that I'm looking into...I'm starting to remember hearing that a new contract can actually eat into guaranteed money due. For example, if Faneca is due $5.25 million on his contract, and signs somewhere for $2.5 million, Woody would be on the hook only for $2.75 million. I'll have to check into it, but I seem to remember that.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I don't even argue with what you've said... (watching games last year I often cussed him out for the same)
    but my beef is why now? seems like a peculiar time..............

13. CatoTheElder

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "we" here. Do you mean us, the fans who post on this board? You're right. We saw a grand total of two plays against a terrible Buccaneers team.

Now, if you mean we as in the Jets organization, I disagree completely. This wasn't just one man making a decision. We know how Tannenbaum and Rex run this show, and that is by getting as much input as they can, including from their own coaches. Rex, Tannenbaum, Schottenheimer, and the best OLine coach in the league probably know a lot more about what they have in Slauson than you or I. Frankly, I have no problem in trusting them.

They were the ones watching the practices. They were the ones breaking down tape in the meetings with him. They were the ones who watched him develop over the season in the hanger. A completely different environment from the real game, I know, but this isn't a blind gamble. I refuse to believe that the FO and CS are making this decision based solely off of one draft pick. This is a calculated risk and right now I'm trusting the guys holding the pencils.

14. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I think this is true. If a team were to give Faneca 5.25 mil the Jets would be on the hook for nothing. Lol my guess is if he is pissed off by this he will sign for the vet minimum and stick it in a little.

#94 Miamipuck, Apr 24, 2010
  15. CatoTheElder

Why keep him if they know they don't want him? What good does that actually serve? They just spent the day trying to trade him for something and they got nothing out of their efforts.

It's fairly obvious that they want him gone, he probably doesn't like it, so now this gives Tannebaum and Rex a chance to make an early break and explore their options while Faneca gets a chance to work out for other teams, maybe get a contract, and get into minicamp with his new team sooner.

16. ........

........ Trolls

Offensive Line play is generally determined by the unit as a whole. Obviously the CS saw him play in practice, but not with the first unit. So, please, answer the question. Why in the world would they cut Faneca NOW instead of AFTER getting a chance to see how Slauson performs with the first team? You're right. It's a calculated risk. I just don't see any downside to keeping Faneca until they get that certainty.

And again, I LOVED the pick. I was saying all through the draft thread that I hoped he fell to us. I've been saying that they should try to trade Faneca. However, if they're not going to get anything for him, the timing is baffling.

17. CatoTheElder

Reposting:
    Too add, they already made the decision that they don't like Faneca on this team. What purpose does it serve to keep him here? If Slauson or Ducasse cannot do it this seaosn, then what will keeping the option the CS thought was worse than them around do? Now the Jets can scout other veterans to see who else they want to bring in. That's why he's gone. They don't want him on the team. Now they can get a jump start on finding a vet.

#97 CatoTheElder, Apr 24, 2010
  18. 624

624 Banned

+1 good post, I feel like we keep quoting each other...we as fans have no right to make any judgment on Slauson.

19. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

If they were so upset with his performance, though, why not cut him as soon as the season ended? Maybe they wanted to protect themselves just in case they weren't in position to draft a guard?

20. ........

........ Trolls

I wasn't making a judgment on Slauson. I was suggesting that maybe it would make sense given the current circumstances to NOT cut Faneca between nights 2 and 3 of the draft.

It's funny, but I don't hear about any other overpriced veterans getting cut right now because their teams feel they drafted a solid replacement.