New York Jets to cut Faneca....per NJ.com

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Matty Jets, Apr 24, 2010.

1. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

I agree that Faneca has declined, but the timing of this is just odd... it seems rushed. There has to be a story behind this and its more than saving a mil. Remember he left the Steelers on bad terms, I bet there were behind the scenes issues that we dont know about (yet)...

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

+1. His shit pass blocking was good enough last season when the Jets were passing less than any other team in the league but his run blocking took a major dive as well.

At this point, I'm happier going into next season with Slauson and Ducasse than with Faneca, even if the only thing I know is that the starting LG is not Faneca. I remember what this team looked like when we kept Jason Fabini around for a year too long.
    There were rumors before the draft that the Jets were looking to move Faneca, Ellis and Thomas or cut them if they couldn't.

3. 624

624 Banned

Yeah I didn't even think of that. We passed less than anyone in the NFL last year, yet Faneca still allowed more sacks than any guard in the NFL.

4. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Some veteran guards still available via UFA that the front office will maybe look into bringing in cheap:

Chester Pitts
    Keydrick Vincent
    Randy Thomas
    Ryan Tucker
    Darnell Stapleton
    Montrae Holland
    Kendall Simmons
    Damion Cook

5. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Bill Callahan gets pushed under the rug by some of you...I trust him. And it isn't like being sandwiched between "vets" such as Mangold and Brick is such a bad thing for Decasse. Relax.

6. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I'll take Stapleton

7. CatoTheElder

I don't think this point can be stated enough. I know it seems odd that we would jettison Faneca so soon and with such unproven talent behind him, but we cannot simply hang onto him just because we know what we are going to get, especially when what we are going to get is this:

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I guess another thing to consider is that if his play is going to continue declining it'd be kinda hard to bench a guy like him right?

9. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

Combine this with Bradway's comments about maybe "making some moves" tomorrow and I dont know who's safe anymore. Cutting Ellis would really piss me off. BT too, but not as much as Ellis.

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Cutting Ellis would easily be the worst move we could make this offseason and really the only one that has no logic

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I also remember what this team looked like when we dumped a proven LG in Kendall and replaced him with guys we werent sure about. Just sayin..

12. CatoTheElder

Thomas isn't even a three down linebacker. He can go. Although Rex did say that there is no way he gets cut.

As for Ellis, I don't think he dropped off at all last season and seeing the longest tenured Jet get cut so unceremoniously would really piss me off. The dude has been a team leader and one of the most dependable players at his position while he was on the team.

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

yeah, but TODAY?!?!?! really?

seems like an assinine move, but what do I know.........

14. ........

........ Trolls

How does cutting Faneca help to sell seats?

15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I am a little iffy on this move, but I trust Rex. I trust Tanny. And I trust Callahan.. so if this is what they think is best, I'm all for it.

If they cut Ellis, however, who was almost mentioned in that report earlier this week, I would be really against that. Although now that we didnt get a DE in the first 2 rounds, I can't imagine they would release our only starting DE on the roster. I know DE's are not overly important in Rex's system, but I mean we do need at least one proven guy out there, and Ellis was very solid last year.

16. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

Wow, Randy Thomas is still playing football? I guess that's one 2d round pick we made that turned out OK.

17. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Mystifying to cut him now. I do not think there is anyone currently on the Jets roster that is better. WTF do I know though.

18. CatoTheElder

We're far from the ghastly presence of Adrian Clarke. Slauson has been taking lessons from veterans and the best OLine coach in the game all of last season. Clarke was pulled off of the streets after being out of football for a year. World of difference. Plus, Kendall was traded during training camp and Mangini and Tannenbaum failed to bring in any veteran help the OLine.

The draft isn't over and there is plenty of time to evaluate what we have and sign a veteran as an insurance policy. We're far from the Kendall trade fiasco right now.

19. CatoTheElder

Gives him a better chance to catch on somewhere else?
    34 years old and rehabbing a tricpes tear where he tore the muscle completely off the bone. That one has to hurt.

#79 CatoTheElder, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  20. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Guys you don't draft a 2nd round guard to just be a development type of player or project. That is for the 5th and 6th round.

When your taking a Lineman early, you are expecting them step in right away and be ready. Decasse's strength is Faneca's: They are both solid run blockers. However Decasse's pass blocking upside compared to Faneca is so much better.

Decasse will work between the best center in the game today and a arguable top 5 LT in the game today. He is in good hands.