New York Jets to cut Faneca....per NJ.com

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Matty Jets, Apr 24, 2010.

1. 624

624 Banned

They had to be broken up eventually, and how can you say confidently that Slauson needs another year? Are you just guessing/assuming?

2. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

This is bugging me too, I just dont get it. He must have pissed off the FO pretty bad for them to pay him $5M+ just to leave.

3. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

If cutting an old overrated player means we have 9 million extra to re sign the plethora of priority free agents we have upcoming, I'm all for it.

4. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

It has nothing to do with money. It has everything to do with talent.

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

If Slauson isn't ready to start now, he never will be. He's either got it or he doesn't

6. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I don't believe so.
    He is declining and in a hurry. If he goes, he goes.

7. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

Why are we even talking about Slauson? He's not going to start.

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Next year sure, this year not so much.

9. ........

........ Trolls

Restructure HOW? There are limits to contract restructures in an uncapped year, and they sure as hell weren't going to spread the money out over extra years. even if they did, he's due nearly $24 million over the rest of his contract. Even if you extend him for an extra 3 seasons (6 seasons for Faneca? Really?), you're looking at $4 million per season. Absurd numbers for the guy.

Woody is taking a big fat hit in the wallet over this one. So much for him being cheap.

10. 624

624 Banned

All you guys are just saying "Slauson was a 6th round pick which means he will never start"

Now I am not saying he will or won't, but don't just speak from your ass and assume about something you don't know about.

11. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

You're either insane or willingly blind if you think the Jets aren't assuming Ducasse will start at LG this season. There is no debate to be had here.

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

A I-AA rookie vs a player who has been under the tutelage of the best OL coach in the league for a whole year....there's plenty of debate to be had

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

yo Woody has to think about signing guys next year

How about resigning Revis, Mangold, D'Brick, David Harris...All FA's after next season. This is a smart move

14. 624

624 Banned

I am not saying he will or won't, although he probably will and is obviously the bigger talent, I'm not going to start telling people things as facts just based on personal speculation.

15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I just don't like going into the season with an unproven 6th round pick in Slauson and a project type offensive lineman who played his college ball at Massachusetts handling LG on a run heavy team when the line played so well together last year.

I dont know.. I mean i know Faneca is on the decline, but if we are paying him anyway, why can't we go into the season with him and if he sucks then just give him his walking papers.

16. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Guess I cannot discount everything Lombardi says. Not even Tannenbaum could move that Albatross of a contract.

17. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

Every media source/analyst to have commented on this assumes Ducasse will start, and rightfully so. I have no idea why TGG is so slow to wrap their brains around basic roster maneuvers.

18. ........

........ Trolls

If they cut Woody next year, they have $1.6 million in dead money on the cap...if there is a cap. That doesn't massively impact our ability to sign our players. This year, it costs Woody $5 million to cut him. Say what you will about him, but if he's willing to drop that cash JUST to save an extra $1.6 million in space for the players next year, he's a hell of an owner.

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I'm not gonna call the move smart or idiotic, that's to be seen this season. But the premise that this move helps us sign our FA's next year is misinformed to say the least. Cutting him next year sure, we'll actually save money on the cap (if there is one)...this year the team saves a million which can't be the reason why this move was made

20. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

No one outside of TGG is referring to this guy as a "project," by the way.