New York Jets media silence

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Jan 2, 2013.

1. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

I think they did that because if they where silent and did not say Rex was staying . Then the media would right that Rex will be fired. That was a good move on the Jets part.

2. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Woody has put a gag order on Rex so he won't embarrass himself further and scare away perspective GMs. I've heard more than enough from Rex. He's not very candid and wouldn't trust anything he has to say.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

So what if the media said that Rex was going to be fired? It doesn't mean that Woody is going to cave to the media pressure and fire him. The point is that there was zero downside for the Jets brass to stay silent about their entire hierarchy including Rex. They should have just kept their mouths shut completely and announced the new GM and the retention of Rex at the same time and handled it all behind the scenes. Instead they felt the need to be reactionary to quell the press. They never stick to their guns.

4. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Couldn't agree more. Fuck him and Myers and the whole NYDN. Myers ran a story quoting an "NFL source" about Rex's " thoughts." Who's the source? Sal Alosi? A lawyer in the NFL offices?

And is this source a mind reader who can tell us RR's thoughts?

I'm glad woody shut everything down. Let these clowns pound sand.

If they want to do something productive, the beat reporters should ask if it's plausible that RR called MM to dispute his garbage story and Rex made the content of that call off the record.

LMAO. Manish is a liar.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Also I do like some of beat writers like Jane McManus and Connor Orr. Mehta sitting on comments and the contract extension denial by Mike and passing it off as current news really irked me. Cimini is a skeptical fan like the rest of us, but I go to him to read things I don't have access to as a fan. If I wanted to read fan opinions, I come here. Cimini makes the same snide remarks in tweets that I make to my friends while watching the game. The difference is, nobody comes to me for actual news and reporting like they do to him. Other than letting his fandom seek into articles or drive them, he isn't too bad.

6. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

The media is freaking out so much because the Jets aren't talking. I mean who writes articles about the team not talking? Only the NY Jets media. Rex has to have a press conference by Friday, so within the next few days, he'll talk. I don't see the big deal.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

My guess is that they just want to wait until the new GM is announced before Rex talks. Maybe it's the Jets way of saying, when their is news to report, we'll give you news, otherwise you can fuck off.

8. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Jeff Capellini is my new Fav. (@GreenLanternJet). WFAN reporter. (yes I still think Fatcessa is an overweight Satan) Jeff has been doing a good job and his tweets pretty much sound like the rest of us.

He's a reasonable, 2 steps back from the ledge reporter. Him and @TurnOnTheJets are doing great things this season. I've pretty much abandoned the tabloids (NYDN, DailyNews, etc) in favor of level-headed reporting.

Back on Topic: I am in favor of the blackout.

9. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Agree 100% about Capellini and Turn on the Jets. TOTJ>>>the Jets Blog.

10. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

It's been only two days since the firings, and one of them was a major holiday. But screw the media, the Jets are doing this the right way. Hopefully this approach carries over into the remainder of the offseason and we can stop being such a friggin' soap opera.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Look, every time somebody Jet-related opens his mouth lately the team gets burned by the media. I think it's a very sound policy at this moment in time when the Jets are trying to do something really consequential to have everybody keep their mouth shut until the process is over.

Yeah, the media is going to chew on the Jets for not providing copy but last time I looked it wasn't the Jets job to provide copy for the media.

12. JetsNation06

They're doing it the right way NOW. However if they really wanted to do it the right way then they never should have given any update on Rex one way or the other.

13. Br4d

It's possible that the one piece of information that the Jets really wanted to get out there as they headed into the GM search was Rex's status for next season. It makes things much less complicated as they do the search when everybody they contact already knows Rex is likely to be back and they don't have to spend time dancing around the issue early in the conversation.

If it's a deal-breaker for somebody they'll just decline the opportunity to interview for the job.

14. JetsNation06

That's possible. However it is just as possible that by revealing that one piece of information you will narrow the available pool of potential candidates so it works both ways.

15. Br4d

If they released Rex's status as part of the GM search then they were likely trying to get people who were not interested in the scenario to decline and not waste everybody's time.

16. JetsNation06

That's giving Woody way too much credit as being a shrewd negotiator. Based on his track record of ineptness that scenario is highly unlikely. Also if someone is out there who was seriously interested in the Jets GM job they would still at the very least inquire about the position regardless if Rex's status was known or unknown.

17. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

No doubt that was the main reason for the realease. It's also a big red flag to perspective GM. Tail wagging the dog, Woody involved in football decisions. Not only involved but dictating who the coach will be before consulting with the new GM. I also think this could have easily been privately conveyed to candidates over the phone but they felt the need to broadcast it to the world that Rex would be staying.

#37 Jon_Snow, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  18. JetsNation06

My point exactly...SOJ.

19. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

How is it SOJ? Because your bloodlust in regards to firing Rex Ryan is not being fulfilled?

20. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

On Monday Kay was spewing over “Jets can’t even fire right”. Stephen A. continued the same theme in his self-righteous, hatred-oozing manner. Today LaGreca discussed Jets’ inaptitude non-stop.

Interestingly, they are especially willing to talk about how shitty the Jets are every time Giants fall on their faces. Rosenberg barely mentioned Giants missing playoffs, but spoke ad nauseam about Jets issues. When he did, it was always about how good NYG look comparing to NYJ.

These are just a bunch of pissed off reporters who were cut off from their favorite bitching topic trying to milk it for as long as they can. Half of them are Giants homers deflecting attention after missing playoffs.