NE's Chances versus Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sean_in_titletown, Jan 4, 2007.

1. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Nice call, this is my thoughts as well.

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Great post as usual, T-Bird.

I think having Andre Dyson out right now is significant. I'd feel much more comfortable with him in there. He'd be able to shut down that side and contribute to Brady's 3-and-outs, which is what we'll need to win this game as Brady cannot score points from the sidelines. There's a sliver of hope, however. This morning's Star-Ledger mentioned that Dyson actually practiced yesterday "but is still doubtful for Sunday." They speculate he'll probably be ready for next weekend, should the Jets advance. I'm hoping this is a little smoke and mirrors and that he's further along with his injury recovery than is being revealed by Mangini.

I've looked at both sets of game results for each team since our Bye. Interesting study. The Pats have played some of the same opponents as us throughout the year, albeit some of these were before our Bye (Jacksonville, for one, as the most glaring on the negative side, because they beat them while Jacksonville trounced us badly). But again, our horrendous loss to them was before our Bye (Week 9) and I do think that it's very significant to look at both teams SINCE that Bye because a lot has changed since then.

Both teams are 6-8 since the start of Week 10, so that's a push. But one game that stands out is New England's recent game against Miami in Week 14. They got skunked 21-0. If I were Mangini, I'd be taking a real good look at that game and studying what it took to accomplish that, especially since we've also played Maimi recently and won. Of course, it's also significant that we beat NE since the Bye in their own house. Those are the two game films I'd be digesting right now ad nauseum.

I'm still not so sure why 8 1/2 points is the spread. I could understand 5-6. The only explanation is that they are the Patriots, plain and simple. They've been through this drill many times and have oodles of experience and this accounts for the extra 3-4 points.

The game will probably be decided by a turnover. The Jets are more likely to have one because of the lack of experience. But I do think our ST's will keep us close and might be able to come up with one or two and I'm expecting a huge game from Nugent and Graham. I know this is a long shot, but here we go:

Jets 23
    Pats 17

3. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

This is the deal.. BB is shi^^ing his pants this week.. The thought of losing this game will make him sick all week and during the game.

I truly feel we will win this game and BB will high-tail out of NE, out our division and into the Meadowlands to coach the G-Men... This will be great because then stupid NE will stink once again and all the pathetic 5-year NE fans will like the cowboys again...

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

This should be a fun game, I don't expect to win but I do think it will come down to Dwayne playing as well as Wolfork in the middle and Chad matching Brady drive for drive. I think we have as many opportunities for big plays as the Pats do but they seem to be better able to grind the field on us than we can on them. I think this is going to be more of a grind type of game.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Absolutely. I expect a chess tournament in the first half, both sides being very careful to not make any mistakes and "beat themselves." The second half will bring more excitement as one of them tries to open it up to come from behind.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think it'll be fun to watch. I expect the Jets to win for a bunch of different reasons, but I'll admit that the Maroney/Dillon duo is what could beat us in the end.

Things to watch:

1. Can the Jets stop the New England rushing attack for most of the day? The Jet's run D has been off and on in the second half of the season. How the switch is flipped on Sunday will have the biggest effect on determining who wins.

2. Does Chad get pressured heavily on the first two possessions? When Chad is under heavy pressure the Jet's offense shuts down and they lose.

3. Is Sutton going to play to win or to contain? Aggressive run and pass blitzing is what's going to be needed to shut the Pats down. Playing containment and looking for a turnover down the field is just going to lose.

4. Is Schottenheimer going to turn Leon Washington loose and try to get a big game out of him or will we have RBBC in sloppy conditions on the field? Huge difference in terms of potential points in my opinion.

5. Which team looks scared early on? The Jets are playing a great team in their house. The Patriots would be crucified for a loss. There are a lot of different reasons that both teams would be nervous early on, who is and who isn't will determine the momentum setters early on.

7. Section 227. Row 5

I like your analysis. The first several possessions always seems huge for us. When I see 3-and-outs early on it usually gets ugly. I'd love to see a sustained, early drive (it doesn't have to the first one) culminating in at least a FG. I expect Mangini to lean heavily on Nugent this game. He just might wind up making the difference too.

8. Section 227. Row 5

Weather report for Sunday, 1PM, Foxboro, MA:

"Mostly sunny in the morning...Then becoming partly cloudy. Cooler with highs in the lower 50s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph."

9. PatsRule

PatsRule New Member

I Disagree they are estatic it is the Jets,the team they did not want to see was Denver..Take that one to the bank

10. Sean_in_titletown

I've read a lot of Jets keys to the game but "turning Leon Washington lose" is a new one. If you're counting on that then it might be a dissapointing outcome...

11. Section 227. Row 5

In the last several games Washington has really turned it on. I'm not so sure what "turning him loose" would entail other than how we've already been using him, but it's fairly well known that the strength of your run-stopping is more up the middle. Your guys are fairly slow to the outside. My guess is you'll see a little more of Washington (and B. Smith) to the outside where, if particularly Leon gets around the corner, there'll be hell to pay. The guy is a juking machine, especially on your new surface.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's more a question of the weather than anything else. I phrased it poorly. I should have said "Is Schottenheimer going to get the opportunity to turn Leon Washington loose or is it going to be a RBBC on a sloppy field".

Quickness is always a key against an agressive 3-4 defense and Washington is very quick. The question is whether or not the field conditions support using a small quick back or rotating the two bigger guys in with him.

Another way to look at it is that probably Miami's defense is the closest to the Patriots in terms of personnel and skill right now. Same huge strength on the line, good linebackers and an iffy secondary. Washington absolutely destroyed the Dolphins because they had trouble finding him in space. And this is people like Keith Traylor, Zach Thomas and Channing Crowder we're talking about.

With Harrison out I expect to see Washington get a lot of touches in the middle of the field if the conditions allow it.

13. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Sorry, but this comment was borderline moronic. In two games, here is the scoring breakdown...

Quarters 1-2 - Pats 17 Jets 0
    Quarters 3-8 - Jets 34 Pats 21

Don't try and say the Pats want to see the Jets. Any AFCE game is a dogfight, and Chicken would ask for a rookie like Cutler every time over Penny. The Pats would have dominated the Broncos at home. The Jets were the last team they wanted to see. Come clean, because you sound like an idiotic homer.

14. ekem015

ekem015 Member

Banged up?!?

He hasn't been on the injury report for weeks.

15. Sean_in_titletown

Why are your posts always so hostile?

16. Section 227. Row 5

The conditions will allow it. 50 degrees, partly sunny, only a 10% chance of rain, 5-10 MPH breeze and playing on a dry, artificial surface.

Leon rules.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yes, I think 'turning him loose' is going overboard, but it is an effect of his explosive play on the fans. He isn't an every down back, maybe someday but not now, but he has a quickness/crowd mobility we haven't experienced at runningback in a long time. He can create open-field opportunities like that, and he has hurt a couple of teams in the past few weeks, but I don't expect him to do a hell of a lot against the Pats because they have a way of closing those gaps quickly.

I think he'll be used as COP to augment the running of Barlow/Houston, the former of which had a lot of success against NE in week 10 and will probably garner a lot of the gameplanning this week from Belichick's crew.

'Turning him loose' may be overboard, but it's not out of the question that he breaks a long run at some point.

18. DanM

DanM New Member

Patriots are proven winners. They have earned every bit of respect that they get in this league by consistently winning. Like it or not, the Jets are not on their level yet. They are making progress...but just not there yet.
    Predicting a double digit win for the Patriots in this game. I really don't think it will be close. The Patriots are superior in every aspect of the game. Good Luck.

19. ekem015

ekem015 Member

And he'll run straight into Wilfork, Bruschi, and Vrabel.

Brilliant.

20. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

That was a good start, but then you went into rabid homer spin. Superior in every aspect? STOOOOPID statement. The Jets WR's are better, as are the ST's. You seem to forget that the Jets came into YOUR house and pillaged just a few weeks ago. Selective memory, or just trolling?

The Jets have a very reasonable shot of pulling off an upset here. Pat fans seem to think they have an absolute lock on this game. They don't. They're :drunk: on past success. I hope the Pats players are this cocky... then they will be easy to beat.