Most painful alltime Jet losses

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by matt robinson 17, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Enough with the self pity bullshit. Stop being a bunch of pussies

2. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

we had end zone seats, the ball is kicked off and the bills returner is all of a sudden in the clear and running towards us in the blink of an eye. they score, and we're all screaming "do over!! do over!! (yes we were drunk-lol) that play was viciously painful and silenced the place, and the way they lost at the end was even worse.
    ahhh, it was still a fun day, you'e with your friends, you have a great buzz on, it's ridiculously freezing, great seats, and the jets were in the playoffs. yes they lost, but you can;'t put a price on days like that regardless of the outcome.

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

No surprise, but no one has mentioned what is to me #1 on the list: the divisional playoffs loss to Kansas City at Shea on December 20, 1969. The Jets were defending Super Bowl champions, and I will always believe that they were a much better team than the Chiefs. They would have had a tough game the next week against the Raiders, but if they had won that they would have destroyed the Vikings in the Super Bowl. The weather was atrocious, Namath had a terrible game, and they lost 13-6. I'll never forget the picture on the back page of the Daily News of Namath trudging off with his shoulders hunched over with the wind swirling dirt and debris all around him. What made it far worse, of course, is that they went 11 seasons after that without making the playoffs.

4. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

The Mudbowl was the worst. Therapy can not even fix that trauma!

5. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Yes, and don't forget the Jets were down 24-0 in that one just like this past game. That was my first season of rooting for the Jets. Who knew that 30 years of pain was in my future?

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I forgot that one....Mickey Shuler's coming out party...devastating loss...

7. matt robinson 17

Another good one, if I remember right we got stopped on a goal line stand at the end...

8. matt robinson 17

Your thread is better...

9. miggymiggs

miggymiggs New Member

this is still fresh and still hurts - doesn't help that I have been watching NFL Network and I gotta see Big Ben and the Steelers instead of Gang Green

10. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

somebody else started a greatest wins thread. this is where the darksiders piss and moan about losing as they love to do. misery loves company.

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

We aren't the SOJ anymore. Its time to embrace success. It's just better to talk about our successes.

12. matt robinson 17

I agree...

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

That loss reminds me a lot of the loss in this year's championship game. Both times we had the better team and came up short in a very close game.

The worst regular season loss had to be the Marino fake spike. The defense quit on Pete Caroll after that game bringing on the Rich Kotite era. Also we lost big free agents including Hasty, Sweeny, and Lageman after that season.

14. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

You all must have been drunk. First, it was not a cold day. It was mild and damp. Second, the Bills DID NOT return the opening kickoff for a TD. Bruce Harper fumbled the opening kickoff and the Bills picked it up and ran it in for the TD.

While it was a heartbreaking loss, the comeback from 24-0 was exciting and the loss did not hurt that much because it was the first playoff game since 69 and the team seemed on the rise (as proven by the playoff run the following year).

81 was a great season. 0-3 start followed by 10-2-1 the rest of the way with the only losses twice to the lowly Seahawks. Great come back win over Miami at home 16-15. Sack Exchange. Blowing out the Pack 28-3 in the last game of the season to clinch the playoffs.

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It was a little chilly...in the mid 30's I think. But the rest is correct. Back then the wild-card was pretty new, and even then I thought playing an extra game would be a difficult hurdle to overcome.

Even though we lost, it was a great game.

16. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Great List my friend.

17. DanR

DanR Active Member

This 2011 loss doesnt really hurt yet. Wait till next season.

If the Jets are 7-9 and it doesnt look like they will see playoffs for a while then we can talk about it.

Then we can talk about how they blew a once in a blue moon opportunity. Because this Jets team can match up well against the Packers in SB.

18. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Matt not to be picky but Leahy didn't miss 2 XPs in that NE game...he did miss the easy FG at the end that may have changed the Jets history a little........I think the 2 missed XPs you are thinking of came a year later at Shea in a crucial 14-12 loss to the Bills.....

19. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

i was plastered, all I remember was the bills player running into the end zone right in front of me to start the game off 7-0 buffalo.
    it sucked losing, but it was still a fun day with friends regardless.

20. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Well that and quite honestly this was the only time of the three I've seen them in the AFC Championship that I felt going in we had an even shot to win the game and with the way it played out we would have won the game if we'd lifted a cleat in the first twenty-nine minutes.

The Denver game was bad too though cause at 10-0 it looked possible to win not only the AFC but the Super Bowl since we'd already killed Atlanta that year, then all of our players who never fumble like Martin, Byars and Meggett (plus one that never played in Van Dyke) started coughing up the football.

Maybe the most painful loss for me was of Vinny at the start of the '99 season, cause that was really gonna be our year then it ends in the first half of the first game.

#40 NYJFan10, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011