Morton Waives the White Flag

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KWJetsFan, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

When Petty won on the road..

2. There Is definitely something wrong about the Petty/Hack situation.The lack of development of Petty year’s 1 & 2/Hack last year & how Bowles seems to just fawn all over these veteran journeymen who can run an offense but make critical mistakes & offer no long term solution. The safest assumption is MAC & TB aren’t on the same page about “developing a QB” like Mac preached the year of Hack.Further Mac has missed badly on his 2 QB selections & TB is what he is:A conservative head coach who doesn’t have the patience or the will to develop a young QB through growing pains

The giving up on games & punting w ample time remaining is a repeat offense however.Hes done it every season in some capacity. This is not gonna change.We either accept that he plays scared & wants to win adjustment Free/w defense or we show him the door.

3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Tired of too many penalties, misuse of timeouts, playing players out of position (Richardson), team not ready to play, can' t win on the road, calling this idiot Knute Rockne because he won 5 games, no emotion....bye bye Turd!

4. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

more like after the first possession. If jets go 3 and out on first possession the rest of game will be an endless amount of draw plays.

5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I think it was the right call. The Jets weren't coming back, they were getting dominated in all phases of the game. No reason to risk injuring people in garbage time. If Morton was aggressive in his play calling and Petty or Anderson got injured in garbage time, the same people criticizing Morton for his comment would be calling for his head. Teams wave the white flag all the time. Look at the NBA, when there isn't enough time to mount a comeback and they are getting dominated, they put in the 3rd stringers.

Petty will likely start the next three games, I think Morton was thinking about preserving him and his confidence for next week. What he did is not the same as "quitting", it's recognizing the reality of the situation.

6. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Name me another game in recent history where a team is down by 20+ with 11min or more to go and runs the ball everytime and quits on his team just to get the heck of dodge. I doubt you can even find one example....

#26 94Abraham, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's even worse that the coaching staff admitted to quitting on the game. Like seriously?

Imagine you are a 10 year vet. Seen your ups and downs, seen what it takes to win, maybe you even, God forbid, won a championship somewhere in your life. then you sign on with the New York Jets and the coaching staff, let alone the players, are quitting in the 3rd quarter of a football game and freely admitting it.

#27 BrowningNagle, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

no it's not. the game was over. his QB got beat up and broken. why risk petty suffering the same fate or having Anderson blow out a knee in a game that's over

9. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

And I know it was the longest of long shots, but they technically still had a shot at the playoffs at that point if they had been able to win out. I know that was not going to happen, but if you're the coaching staff you're basically telling the players screw this game and screw the playoffs.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think what Morton said is worse than it sounds because not only were the Jets trying to get out of there with 11 or so min on the clock, it was obvious at the end of the of the first half that Bowles and the coaching staff had absolutely no interest in trying to be aggressive. To them it was clear that the Jets were being outclassed and instead of making any concerted effort to show some fight and aggressiveness, they figured it would be better to get into the locker room as fast as possible. They compounded that by sheltering Petty (probably due to how poor the o-line was, how bad he played, and his injury history with the jets).

The jets have no personality, have no identity, and evidently, have no fight. I would rather have the jets employ a coach that is willing to keep fighting even when we are getting are ass beat.

I'd also like to add that we can all thank Bowles for McCown being injured. After being sandwich tackled leading to a hip/lower back problems, McCown was rushed back into the game. He was clearly hurt and his play negatively affected due to the pain. If you're not even going to call timeouts why bother throwing your starter out there, who's hurt, to put yourself in the best position to win.

The approach is half-assed and Bowles again is too concerned with the image rather than the substance.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Did you forget that he won a game - on the road! - last year? And you can dismiss what he did against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but he moved the team and the team around him looked sharp. But, jesus! What does anyone expect when you limit the development of ANY player, let alone the most complicated position on a team?

I'm not saying he's the Second Coming of Joe Willie, but until we get a decent sample size to judge, how can anyone really know what's he's capable of? The "experts" were ready to toss Goff and Wentz on the scrap heap last year, I guess they aren't really such experts.

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

If Bowles & Co. get fired, I think this will prove to be the point at which the Johnson Brothers made that decision. Sure, you can try to rationalize it all you want, and say that realistically they weren't going to win anyway, and why get anyone hurt, but can't you say that in for a lot of games even before the first whistle? In fact, isn't that almost what Kacy Rodgers just said when he implies that stopping the Saints will be almost impossible because of all their formations? Hell, why even fly down to N.O.? Somebody's only likely to get hurt, and they're probably going to lose anyway.:rolleyes: For all their tolerance of a shitty product, I think admitting that you quit is the one "unpardonable sin" that Woody and Chris won't forgive...at least I hope so. And if they do, I'm not going to, I'll just "quit" this team after 55+ years.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Now you're quitting?
    That's just great...

Even Champ is sticking around.

I think.

14. ColoradoContrails

I'm a slow learner...REALLY slow!:)

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I think Morton is sick of working with Toilet, sees the handwriting on the wall or both who cares...Tank on

If he has even a half decent outing against the Saints Petty should call his Agent to get him with the right Coaching Staff who could really help him

Of course I don't know the details of his contract but as I have said before Petty and Hack represent two good character role models vs the rest of this league of rogues and malcontents with America....sadly this is what the NFL has turned into imo

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I've been saying this exact thing all year long. Petty needs to get the hell away from Florham Pk ASAP if he wants to get on with his career. He stays, and he'll never progress farther than afterthought.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He's never liked competent. He had made very little progress. I get not every qb develops the same, but its very telling that they conceded once he was in the game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Morton made a bad call there, even when things are down you can always learn something from your players. Bench Anderson, Kearse and go with more of a conservative passing game with Hansen, Stewart, etc. Petty and his passing attempts were horrid so perhaps some of that skewed the coaching decision,

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  19. What about the notion of the HC showing some balls,rallying behind Petty & trying to muster a comeback??

23-0 against a team that had lost 8 in a row isn’t insurmountable for a team w proper coaching.Is it easy?Not by any stretch but absolutely doable if the coach & team have fight

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Except for Scout Team reps, I doubt if Petty has gotten a single snap since the season began, and he's probably splitting scout team reps with Hack.