MLB Offseason Thread 2006-2007

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by FITM, Oct 31, 2006.

1. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

My initial post when the article was posted was sarcastic, as were the following posts. I didn't expect someone to take it so seriously. :rofl2:

2. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I know the Red Sox invest greatly in international scouting. It was a joke off the fact that they were buying into NASCAR the day after the Yankees announced a partnership with the CBA.

3. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Alright then. I thought you were serious, my bad. As for the NASCAR thing, who cares? NASCAR sucks.

4. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Holy Crap! The Sox were willing to take on 53 mil of the contract???????
    If they end up getting what they want from the Sox, Theo needs to have his head examined.

While the Red Sox reportedly were willing to take on $53.5 million of the $90.1 million owed to Todd Helton, they wouldn't give up a top prospect, killing trade talks on Monday.

The Rockies were insisting on receiving Jacoby Ellsbury, Craig Hansen or Manny Delcarmen along with Mike Lowell and Julian Tavarez, but the Red Sox weren't going to include a quality youngster without receiving substantially more salary relief. No new talks between the two sides are anticipated. However, one source with knowledge of the negotiations told the Boston Globe that it would not be surprising to see them rekindled in spring training.

5. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Bonds and the Giants finally agree to a deal:

Giants re-signed outfielder Barry Bonds to a one-year, $15.8 million contract.

No news conference. Instead, the Giants decided to make the Bonds signing official on a conference call. Bonds can make an additional $4.2 million in incentives based on plate appearances and games played. He'll enter the year 22 homers away from breaking Hank Aaron's career record.

Barry Bonds-OF- Giants Jan. 29 - 10:29 pm et

According to The Associated Press, the Giants and Barry Bonds have finalized a one-year, $15.8 million contract.

The Giants have yet to schedule a conference to announce the signing, which was delayed nearly two months. Under the terms of the deal, Bonds' trainers -- Harvey Shields and Greg Oliver -- reportedly will no longer be on the Giants' payroll. That means neither will be allowed in the clubhouse, where they previously had their own lockers next to Bonds' space, or any other restricted area in any big-league ballpark.

6. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

They are tall. You can't teach that.

7. devilonthetownhallroof

52 million over 5 years isn't that bad. A player like Helton would get a lot more than that in this market. If he gave up one of those prospects though, that's when you call in the shrinks.

8. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Thats what I meant. They want Lowell, Tavarez, a top prospect and at 52 mil for Helton.
    That is way too much.

9. devilonthetownhallroof

I would give them Ellsbury possibly, but any of the pitchers should be off the table.

10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Sean Bradley was tall and he might be one of the worst players ever to play in the NBA and Jianlin isn't all that tall. He is more a skill player.

11. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

The Associated Press is reporting the Blue Jays and RHP Victor Zambrano have come to terms on a minor-league deal.

12. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

IF there is another World Cup of Baseball, meet Team USA's newest first baseman:

Albert Pujols became a U.S. citizen Wednesday during a ceremony at the Eagleton Courthouse in St. Louis.

Pujols reportedly spent about a year preparing for the citizenship exam. Soon after the citizenship ceremony, Pujols flew to Florida to prepare for the opening of spring training.

13. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Oooh, I hate that guy so much. Until he changes team.

14. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

I lost so much respect for him after the NLCS....fuck him, let him play for w.e. country he was from. We already have enough assholes on team USA

15. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Report: Agreement reached on sale of Braves

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Liberty Media has reached an agreement with Time Warner to buy the Braves.
    Negotiations have been ongoing for more than a year now, and it was clear that a deal was close. Liberty Media's chairman is John Malone, who has before never owned a professional sports team. There's reason to hope that he'll up the budget from where Time Warner's been lately, though it seems doubtful that Atlanta will reemerge as the NL's top spender anytime soon. If Malone wants to make a strong first impression, he could make a big bid to extend free-agent-to-be Andruw Jones. Feb. 12 - 8:06 pm et

16. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6468806

Hahahahahahaha. Paid more than we paid for Park.

Imagine...Trachsel starting in the AL East. Good god.