Mike Shanahan as HC?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by APK 8, Dec 30, 2008.

1. jfhjr71

jfhjr71 New Member

I think he was but he is interviewing in Detroit this week, I think he realized that the big D is really for DYSFUNCTIONAL

2. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Shannahan looks like a weasel-dick. He reminds me so much of a janitor we had in high school.

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

That's what I had thought, too. It may not be the case anymore. Apparently, Romo and Owens had issues with the playcalling and Jerry Jones has some doubts. Furthermore, Garrett will interview for the Detroit job or so I've heard.

4. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Interesting...sounds like JG is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't in light of DET keeping a bunch of their FO personnel around.

5. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Unless Bill Cowher coming to the Jets is a lock I dont see how Mike Shanahan cant be in consideration.

6. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

he had no problem beating the jets on the road. he took apart our defense and kept our offense off the scoreboard.

7. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

Shanahan has to be in the mix just to get a little leverage for Cowher to commit (if he hasn't already).

He's only had 2 loosing seasons in 14 years.
    Our run game would be insane. Leon would get more touches and go off.
    The offense as a whole would be so much better.

The only knock on him is defense. Once upon a time Denver had a good D, and they have some talent now. He would need a stud D-coordinator.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

just read on PFT that Shanahan has something cookin' with the Chargers. Take it for what it's worth...considering the source (PFT). I could see it happening if the Chargers go "1 and done"....this way, Shanahan can still bend over Al Davis twice a year....just with a better team.

9. mst3000

mst3000 Member

Let's make Shanahan the highest paid OC in football (assuming he's willing to take the downgrade). We already have a former NFL head coach on the staff, I'm sure he'd like some company. :breakdance:

10. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

Shanahan would last half a season in NY before his head would explode. He'd be a monster in Dallas or even a Detroit situation. Small towns like Denver.

11. mr nyjet

he wouldn't be the gm here, and you could hire the pitt lb coach to run the 3-4.

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I don't know, you might be right.

Dallas is the 5th largest television market (NY 1, LA 2, Chicago 3, Philadelphia 4) and the Cowboys have a huge national following. He might face as much crap from the media as Cowboys HC as he would with the Jets.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The guy you are talking about is Keith Butler.
    http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=988672&postcount=8

I don't know of any connection between Butler and Shanahan. If Mike Tomlin really likes Butler, I would think the Steelers would try hard to keep him. The plan could be to promote him to DC as soon as Dick LeBeau retires, which could be very soon. LeBeau will be 72 next season. He will not do this too much longer.

14. mr nyjet

possible, but the team can't stop him for interviewing for a promotion.

that's why dallas has to let garrett interview with the lions and the giants have to let spagnola interview for the jets hc job.

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, he's worth bringing in for an interview. I wonder what would happen if the Steelers altered Butler's title from linebackers coach to assistant head coach/linebackers. I suppose that would be considered a promotion but I am not 100% certain.

16. mr nyjet

we could interview him for the hc job, but offer him $$
    to be the dc/asst hc also. couldn't hurt to try.

17. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

Cowher, Schotty, and Shanahan i would be very satisfied with either one. You have you poisons.

Cowher - How long did it take him win a super bowl?

Schotty - Cant seem to win a playoff game. But at least he takes his teams to the playoffs and being in the playoffs right now is better then what we have gotten. Thats what I thought charger fans would be saying but they seem to make the playoffs with Norv. Plus if schotty came here i hope he gets Cam because they knew how to use the tightends and the running back.

Shanahan - Has both characteristics of both coaches mentioned. But he has won 2 superbowls with a HOF QB. He takes his team to the playoffs and b4 the injuries Denver was one of the highest scoring teams in the league this season. He would just have to get a really good Defensive coordinator.

If i wanted a first year coach I would go with Spags just because he shut down one of the highest powered offenses of all time last season and look what he has done this year.

18. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

now that cowher is out you know he will get some attention

19. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

20. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

I wanted him from the start, but I bet he goes to Dallas!!!