Mike LaFleur out as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bicketybam, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

DEAD LOL

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This Is the biggest issue.

It's funny that Jets fans don't realize It as well. They are so happy someone got fired that they don't question It.

This mentality where people think If you just fire one guy, everything will be magically better now.

Refusing to realize that the reason he was fired was because of fan pressure and a moron owner who meddles too much In things he shouldn't.

This Is a setback.

He should've just fired everyone because this will be a setback.

I don't care who they bring In.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Saleh spoke on this. Basically what I understood is he did talk to Woody, who gave him autonomy to do what he wanted, but apparently offered his 2 cents that MILF sucked. Saleh then ensured MILF would not be out of a job with interest from other teams being there (albeit likely for a lesser role), and let him go. Some good questions by the reporters too.

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You actually spoke with his offensive lineman?

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, thanks for unearthing this interview.

What jumped out at me was, what a massive loss this was for the Jets! I have no doubt had Gregg Knapp lived and continued to work with Zach and LaFleur that the Jets offense would've been great. So then the next thought was: "Why didn't they find someone to replace Knapp?" I guess they tried with bringing in Cavanaugh, and in fact that did seem to help Zach because when he returned from injury he was much better. But then this year they didn't retain Cavanaugh or bring anyone else in. In looking at what happened it seems a clear indictment of MLF's (and Calabrese's) poor ability to teach the concepts he wanted to employ. Whose decision was it to not replace Knapp/Cavanaugh? If it was LaFleur's well I guess he's paid the price, but if it was Saleh or Douglas they need to be held accountable.

Second, here was a deeply experienced, successful coach, working with all sorts of QB, from rookies to vets, so his opinion should count a great deal. And in his assessment Zach was a "quick learner", "Didn't usually make the same mistake twice", "Worked hard". And then there was the assessment of his physical abilities, specifically talking about his natural throwing motion and less need than most to rely on setting his feet properly to make accurate throws; also his vision and being able to see the whole field; and his ability to escape the rush and not need a clean pocket. Could this experienced, successful coach with 25 years or broad experience been wrong?" Or, is it more likely that in trying to force fit Zach into playing a certain way they ruined his self confidence and caused him to second guess himself on every snap?

Third, even in that first preseason of the Saleh Era, they chose to go into it with a QB room that had zero regular season experience! As big a fan of Douglas as I've been, I have to say that is one decision that makes me question him. How did that make any sense? The only explanation I can come up with is that they felt so confident in Zach's ability to start Day 1 they didn't really need anyone with more experience behind him. But even that explanation seems to be in contradiction to Douglas's own long record of experience. Maybe if Knapp had lived and been there as a steady resource for Zach it would've worked, but then that makes the decision to not have that resource for him in Year 2 all the more puzzling.

It's all water under the bridge now, but I sure hope that whoever they bring in to replace MLF it's someone who knows how to coach and develop young QBs.

Borat likes this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I hope you are wrong, and it will depend on whom they bring in. I was on the fence about firing MILF, because I wasn't sure who they can bring in, and probably by the end of the month we will have this answer, but he was fired on merit. Offense bottom 3-5 both years, no progress, #2 overall QB pick looks like biggest bust in NFL history whom he had broken relationship with, complete meltdown against bad defenses at most critical moment, own players speak about predictability and lack of fire. There is no debate he sucked overall at the position he occupied. Saleh just has to make sure the replacement will be an upgrade.

7. bicketybam

I believe that Dean's position is that MLF was victimized by injuries and a God awful Zach Wilson.

8. IIMeanDeanII

Learning a new system In a year where we have a playoff mandate.

Perfect. So stupid. I hate this ownership.

No way I believe that they were given full autonomy In this situation. There was massive pressure on them, from Woody. MLF had a way out, Saleh gave him that for his sake, but It leaves us In a bad situation.

It's unbelievable.

nevbeats319 likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think it will be some version of West coast offense so the jump will not be as steep. I mean haven't we learned everything from the Giants right here without going far for an example? If we get a capable guy, we could be humming quickly, especially if offense is a variation of WCO. The key is to find the right guy. You are making having a new system sound way worse than it is. Now, if we get the wrong guy, then we are fucked.

NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Which is true to a degree, but MILF sucked too.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  11. IIMeanDeanII

It's not just MLF.

Its continuity as well. It's familiarity with a system for an offensive side of the ball that absolutely HAS to produce next year or we will be starting over with everyone again. It's a new system that will take the entire off-season to learn, to grasp. Then the "learning curves" within that offense will be the excuse. Need time to gell, blah blah blah.

It's an owner that doesn't know how to get the fuck out of the way and stay out of the way.

It's a scheme that I love. I literally watched almost every game where people were running open but our QBs simply couldn't get it there.

It Is all the injuries and the shitty QB play.

Not just Zach Wilson. We need a QB. He Isn't on this roster. I love Mike White but he's not the answer. IMO

This Is a bad look. It's going to cost us another year of Jet football where the end result Is everyone being fired and we all as fans are the ones that will pay for It because we will be entering our 29th rebuild It feels like.

I'm sick of this team losing all the time and I can see the ultimate problem that won't be fixed till the guy dies most likely.

Woody Johnson.

We as fans don't give patience because we've lost so much but we need continuity to get to where we want them to be. Adversity Is where growth stems from, our adversity for this team almost lead us to the playoffs.

That's not good enough though. 6 game losing streak, fire everyone.

Yet, we don't stop and think about what that actually means?

NYJ fans, the majority, think we won the off-season already because we fired ONE guy. Without realizing we don't have the pieces needed to truly go through this learning curve on offense that will be needed with a new scheme. On a ONE year playoff mandate.

It's just so obvious to me.

We shall see though. I hope I'm wrong too as Borat eluded to.

dmw likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hold on.. Woody gave no such mandate. Perhaps a implied mandate was understood to be part of the '23 plan. We all think Saleh and his staff only gets one more chance though so I agree with the move to bring in a Vet QB. The problem is, without any stability or promise of a job in '24, who is gonna take the OC job here knowing Saleh if his luck runs true to form will flame out again? Worse yet, what Vet QB is coming here under these circumstances knowing Zwilson will be given every opportunity to win the job to save face for the FO/CS?

Talk about being in a Jam.... Only the Nyets!!

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

We all know there Is a playoff mandate. You can be blind and deaf and know there are a playoff mandate at this point.

That's my issue with these moves as well.

It will limit options, people know how the NFL works and If someone attaches their credibility to this team now, there Is a very good chance they will leave with less credibility for a job because of It.

It's a, what have you done lately league.

An unspoken playoff mandate, a potential lame duck HC. No solidified QB. OL Is trash.

It's a bad look.

Everything In me just wishes Woody would've fired everyone now. Waiting another year just to do so, hurts me so much right now.

I love Saleh and I liked MLF.

Prolonging the inevitable Is fucking brutal for me.

Hopefully I'm wrong though.

I can just see the domino effect here though. It's a really bad look.

Fuck..

14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Agreed

15. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Oh I agree. I think he is as dumb as a dodo. But I do want him to apply pressure on the staff.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. bicketybam

https://tenor.com/bOVv9.gif

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I have to agree with Dean here. If Woody were to fire MLF, knowing how close he was with Saleh, he should have cleaned house and let JD start over. Basically, he kicked the can down the road ONE year with the unspoken but obvious playoff mandate. The only Vet OC worth a damn I can see taking this job will be playing the long game waiting for Saleh to get fired so he'll already be in-house knowing Woody wants an offense minded HC. Any VET QB coming in will ask for big guaranteed money upfront knowing he'll get paid whether he starts or they gift the job to Zwilson again.

Saleh will spend all of '23 looking over his shoulder at two shadows.. Woody's and the new OC's.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well Saleh just said 2 days ago that he loved the guys on his staff and he didn't even hint at any shake up. Ditto Douglas. Two days after that MLF and the OL Coach are gone, and Saleh is saying it was his and JD's decision. Somehow I don't buy that. This has Woody's prints all over it. That said, it's not necessarily a bad thing, IF...IF...Woody's involvement was more of: "This offense has sucked for two years and we're looking at yet another highly regarded young QB becoming a bust, and a continued failure of the OL to work well, so you need to make some changes". If OTOH, Woody said "Fire MLF, and here's who I want to replace him with", then I start to get nervous.

Some other thoughts:

1. Saleh said he would be learning over the next month who the OC would be and what scheme they might favor". I'm hoping this means that early rumor of them hiring Bevell is just that, a rumor.
    2. He said they're not focusing on scheme, but on the ability of the new staff to work with their young guys (ie. Wilson).
    3. The firing of the OL Coach which wasn't widely reported he conspicuously declined to explain, but it at least was an acknowledgement that the OL performance was a dumpster fire for two years.
    4. Saleh continues to impress me as someone who is comfortable handling the media, and whether or not he was forced to fire a close friend, he did do it, and it shows that his priority is on winning and not on friendships. He did make a special note to say he spoke with MLF and was assured that LaFleur had some other places to land, so loyalty is still important to him.

Jets79 likes this.
  19. bicketybam

If Saleh truly believed in MLF he would have resigned instead of firing him.

20. IIMeanDeanII

I'm rational, just sucks that I know I am and still see It this way.

Like I said. I hope I'm wrong. .

I just don't think I am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.