Mike LaFleur out as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bicketybam, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah I didn't say Brady was a certainty, in fact I said it might not happen, but if it could, to me, that's the best solution.

And no one should bet that Zach is ready to start any time soon, but they also shouldn't bet against him being able to if he gets the right coaching and they install a scheme that works with his strengths.

And yes, we are way overdue for competent QB play, but a big part of that is the Jets have had a "defense first; offense is an afterthought" philosophy for decades. And they seem to believe that you can simply pluck good QBs off the "QB Tree" whenever you want one, and if the one you pluck doesn't seem to work, pluck another one - IOW, you don't need to spend any time or money developing them.

JetFanInNE, burf and Nyjets4eva like this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Even if the Jets bring Carr, I doubt Carr would get anything more than 2 years guaranteed. The problem is, Zach's contract is over in two years. I just think if Zach is actually playing well in practice, he will get his chance, no matter who comes in. I know Carr is durable, but he would have to play every game and play at very high level for Zach to never get a shot. With Carr being 32 years of age, Zach will get a shot at some point if he earns #2 spot. And if Zach does develop, Jets can trade Carr after the first year, like KC traded Alex Smith.

Of course if we get Jimmy G, the opportunity to play will be there sooner rather than later. Maybe he is the perfect guy. If we still have WCO that is.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Saleh promised a culture change for the NY Jets... and I'm assuming wins are a big part of that.

Getting a competent (or better:rolleyes:) quarterback should be priority number one.

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

CC. This offensive scheme Is used In a good portion of NFL teams, with very good success.

The players that are In this scheme are fine as well. I don't know where you get that from?

Who doesn't "fit" this WC system that MLF ran?

You and I can't have that debate with Zach Wilson. I have always thought he was bad QB, any bad player will struggle, regardless of the scheme. The other QBs played better In the MLF scheme and they had far less physical talents.

I am very curious why and who you feel didn't fit that scheme and how?

MLF struggled at calling plays In a 2-3 games this past season. IMO

Otherwise, I know that he didn't have the players he needed to make It work. Nobody would have.

5. IIMeanDeanII

I don't think he Is capable.

6. IIMeanDeanII

I've hated Brady for 20 years. In no world will I root for him, even If he became a Jet.

Fuck him. I will be beyond disgusted, It better not happen. I will lose my fucking mind.

kevda5n9ne, BacktoQueens and Dierking like this.
  7. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I don't think bringing in Carr, necessarily means a lack of commitment to Zach.
    If they're really in on scoring points, fixing the O, & winning, they might just decide to bring in who they think is their best option, & letting the rest play itself out. If Zach's light goes on, they'll deal with any QB situation at that time. We all know how quickly things can change in the NFL, & while future-thinking has its place, dealing with things intelligently (& creatively) in real-time, is tantamount to winning.
    And that's maybe the biggest weakness MLF demonstrated to me... everything to him was pre-determined, & he didn't have a clue how to adjust, or adapt to changing conditions/situations.
    As for who they bring in at OC, O asst, or QB, I've given up trying to figure that out.
    I just want an OC that's creative, flexible & has an innovative gene in his makeup, that has the smarts to see where players are at, & adjust any offensive scheme to fit those players. That's what I always liked about Daboll, from his Jets days. What he's done with the Giants, & Daniel Jones, well, I'm jealous.
    I still wonder if there are any off-the-radar OC, or QB candidates, that people are missing.

ColoradoContrails and Acad23 like this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums up how I feel about the QB situation.

The time is now... we have too many pieces in place to fuck this up.

Nyjets4eva and burf like this.
  9. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

We've had a piss poor offense for two years and our second year QB regressed at the hands of this OC.

Players were clearly not impressed by him at the end of the season.

He may not have been the sole person that failed the O but he sure as hell was the person responsible for gameplans and the overall output.

We struggled with opening possession TDs. We didn't score TDs in the last three games. Even with some studs out, each and every week I'm seeing practice squad players at QB throwing TDs. Practice squad WRs scoring TDs.

You mould the clay to your talent and good OCs can still score points with bottom end talent.

You shouldn't need All stars to make sure you can score a TD.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

10. ColoradoContrails

Well setting aside Zach not being a good fit for this scheme - and frankly if he wasn't, that was a major failing - I don't think Becton was, nor Tomlinson or Brown, mainly due to concerns about their age and how it might've affected their agility which is a key requirement of OL in this scheme. Mims, and to a lesser degree Elijah Moore, and for some reason I can't fathom, the TEs really weren't used much either.

All that said, maybe I'm wrong, but there was something seriously out of whack with this offense, beyond just Wilson. Even MW struggled at times with it, although he seemed to be able to adapt better than Zach (no surprise since he has more experience and is 4 years older).

Finally, I'll just say this. No matter what endeavor you're talking about, if you keep trying something and it doesn't work you need to re-examine your assumptions and methods. While MLF made some tweaks and adjustments, I don't think he really stepped back and considered that maybe what he was asking the players to do wasn't the best approach. Again, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he did do this, but it doesn't stand to reason that so many players who seemed to struggle could all just be trash.

11. IIMeanDeanII

Even If you are right on the players being a fit, which I don't think you are.

MB Is a bad example. Dude was injured, he wasn't bad In the system. Tomlinson literally came from the same system that he went to 4 straight pro bowls with. That doesn't make sense. Brown was hurt ALL year, shouldn't have even been playing but he was the best of the worst that we had. So he did.

I think Mims Is a bad player. I think Elijah Moore Is a hard one for me, he has talent but his attitude and effort suck.

We couldn't use the TE's the way he wanted because our OL was dog shit. He used more Inline blocking from our TE's because of It.

It's all a result of missing pieces. IMO

..but, let's say I'm wrong.

Still doesn't matter. MLF wasn't the one bringing In these players, he has no control over who plays and who doesn't. He takes what he Is given and tried to make the best of It.

It was an impossible ask.

So In your assertion of things, we clearly fired the wrong person regardless.

No QB struggled In the ways ZW did In that scheme. ZW struggled because of all the many reasons I've already listed. Had nothing to do with scheme.

We kept a dog shit QB and got rid of a good coach. Not a good trade off. IMO

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

He’s totally washed up and overrated at this point as well. Not to mention as mobile as Flacco.
    It would be a terrible mistake, although I’d LOVE seeing him repeatedly drilled behind our Oline.

the Bucs record was comparable to ours, with better talent and a cupcake schedule.
    If that’s the answer I don’t know the question.

Nyjets4eva, Borat and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Fuck Tom Brady.

14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Brady?

15. ColoradoContrails

Look, maybe I'm wrong in terms of players not being a good fit. I'm not sure I am, but it's quite possible because I'm no expert, but both last year and this year we suffered a lot of injuries to key people. Coincidence/bad luck? Maybe. Or maybe the scheme had something to do with it. But aside from injuries, there were more than a few players who struggled. Again, maybe they just aren't very good. But the bottom line in sports is you can't fire the entire team. Given that, coaches are the ones to pay the price for under achieving and failure.

And while MLF doesn't sign players it's not true that he had no input over who they did sign/draft. That would make zero sense to not take his input into consideration when acquiring offensive players.

Whatever the actual reason or reasons were, MLF was in charge of an offense that was at or near the bottom for two years under him. And while I know you don't think ZW is anything but a failure, if you listened/watched the interview with Greg Knapp that Ralebird posted IDK how you can conclude that honestly. Knapp would've have been completely wrong in his assessment of Zach. OTOH, he was right, but whatever the Jets did or didn't do made Zach regress. I believe it was the latter. Now the question is: Was he screwed up so bad he can't recover? I don't think so, as long as they get someone competent to work with him.

Anyway, I know you'll disagree with all of this, and I'll likely disagree with your rebuttal, so I'll just say we can agree to disagree.

IIMeanDeanII, burf and Borat like this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Imagine Brady with our OLine. We will finally get him destroyed after all these years!

17. burf

burf Well-Known Member

And... if I may add... it bugs the hell outta me that people forget execution, or lack thereof, is on coaching.
    If players have a continual problem executing your plays, it's on you. If lots of players, at the same time, have problems executing a play, it's on you. On Zach & the OL, MLF NEVER adjusted all those long-developing plays, which were nearly impossible with a rotating OL... he nearly got Zach & MW killed.

ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  18. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Kamikaze Jets - We've all completely flipped our wickets.

19. bicketybam

Who said I don't smoke weed? I live 50 minutes from MA and they just opened the first dispensaries in CT

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  20. bicketybam

He needs to try! Even if it is a few scragly whiskers!

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.