Mike Francesa Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, May 4, 2009.

?

Which is it...

1. Fatcessa is a Jealous bitch.

55.3%
  2. Woody is definitely PSL whoring the QB around town.

7.6%
  3. Actually BOTH are right on.

28.0%
  4. Paranoid Android

9.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

And Bart scott and a few others DO need to shut the fuck up for a while

2. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

Well... Our defense held an offense that is on pace to break the single season scoring record to ten points. We have a rookie QB. Figure it out.

3. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

What did you expect from a 1st year coach and a 1st year QB? In the beginning of the season we would have expected to get 4 wins all season. Now we're at 4-4 and all of a sudden its doom and gloom.

Relax, Rex is giving this team confidence. How many different guys have you seen say that they are inspired to go into battle for coach Ryan? I've seen that same quote from several players. We may not go to the superbowl this year, but if this team doesn't have confidence then we've got nothing.

4. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Great post, and right on target. Look, props to him for 4-4, I didn't expect that. But there are worrying signs. Rookie coach or in over his head? Time will tell, but, as I said before, you don't "change a culture" by talking. You do it by winning games.

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I honestly like Rex and I think this team is rebuilding and if Rex develops into a great HC and Sanchez into a great QB this team will be a force down the road.

I also liked some aspects that Mangini brought to the team, discipline and a thinking approach to the game. I think Mangini went over board and has now turned into Captain Queeg of the NFL.

I respect coaches who believe in being honest with their players and the media. While Rex is almost the exact opposite of Mangini, I'm not sure he isn't BS everyone with his bravado. It's almost a 1950's sales approach and it's verging on becoming boring and insulting. Allowing the guys to speak is fine but speak the truth, act like a winner, a professional and operate that way on game day. Rex has to be careful to sell the players and in this economy the fans without coming off as a blow hard.

Rebuild the team, keep the confidence and instill it, get rid of the deadwood and add more professional minded players and have some discipline both on the field and off the field while being honest. As a fan and as a player that's a HC I expect most of us would really respect. Rex is dangerously close to the line and he doesn’t have to be.

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The fact of the matter is the Jets should just shut the fuck up and play the game.
    Rex should shut the fuck up and learn how to be a head coach.

I love this team. Have for 30 years, but even I am sick of listening to them shoot their mouths off and i can't stand listening to Rex's pressers anymore.
    Face the facts, we have a good team with a rookie HC and QB. We have POTENTIAL. We haven't accomplised ANYTHING.

Rex and co. should just shut up and go to work improving this football team.
    After that eveything else will take care of itself.

7. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I find it quite humorous that all throughout the Mangini era we had everyone (here) bitching because NO ONE (on the team) could/would speak... and now we have the Rex Ryan era where everyone is speaking and now everyone (here) is bitching because it is too much. There really is no pleasing Jets fans unless you are throwing up win after win (which of course is impossible all the time).

This team is 4-4... we are far from being clowns. You want clowns then go follow the Raiders, or Detroit... or even Cleveland at this point. Plenty of other joke franchises. Like every other situation we have run into coaching wise, hiring a new coach is a process.. of shaping the team into the image his philosophy is built around, and bringing in young guys like Sanchez and giving them time to grow and learn the systems and the game. It takes time... it requires patience. If you can't manage that then maybe you need a hobby that meets your instant gratification needs.

8. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

There's a difference in all of those scenarios.

Herm: Sits on the sidelines wondering what the fuck is going on.

Mangini: Sits on the sidelines brow-beating his players, but he actually ran a tight ship.

Rex: Stand on the sidelines calling a semi-great game and yelling "you guys are on top of the world" but meanwhile they aren't.

9. Chad Penninton 10

Chad Penninton 10 New Member

It's one thing to talk shit but if you don't back it up you're going to get shit for it. It's not just the fact of players talking it's guys like Bart Scott who are saying that they want to hurt opposing players which is just classless and inhumane. In the end it's just a game and you don't say your going to ruin someones life by injuring them. Its fine for players but then you have a coach who makes every excuse in the world and is calli.ng other teams not good or lucky? This is the NFL, act like your a professional. The media doesn't care about excuses there is never going to be a valid excuse, it's just going to get turned around by the press and critisized.

10. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I just got around to reading this thread and decided to add a few things. And no, I'm not defending Francessa. I don't even like the man, but hear out a few of the other things he opined on and then you can all really get worked up (and this is only 5 minutes worth):

1) He said there are "weird things" going on on the sidelines. He might be referring to the hot dog and Kerry Rhodes' "visit" to the Miami bench before game time, but he specifically mentioned going for the 2 points twice as a poor decision. He ripped Sporano too, for trying the same thing because the math didn't add up. I agree with Francessa on this.

2) He said that Rex Ryan should "stop telling everyone how good the team is. This team is 4-4 and lost key divisional games. This team hasn't won a game in a month except to beat up on the abysmal Raiders. So stop telling me the Jets are a good team unless you can prove it on Sundays." I agree with this.

3) He said that Ryan needs to stop thinking like a DC and start thinking like a HC. He cited that Ryan continally mentions his defense. "Hey Rex, the offense is part of your team too. And while we're at it, so is Special Teams." He said Ryan may be thinking too much like a defensive coordinator still. He cited Ryan's PC after the game in which he said we outplayed the Dolphins and alluded to the lucky KO returns, as if those points don't count. "Message to Rex Ryan," he said, "those points DO count and STs is part of your team!" I sort of agree with some of this too.

4) He said that Bart Scott basically needs to STFU. "His speech after the game was ridiculous. You do that kind of talk if you just won the game, but you didn't, you lost, so it comes off as dumb."

Again, these are points that Francessa opined. I listened to part of it but I'm sure there was a lot more, becasue earlier in the day, while he talking baseball, he said that he "was going to get to the Jets and Giants this afternoon, and I'm telling you, it won't be pretty," so he must have ripped up the Giants pretty bad too.

Hey, this is New York radio. Radio personalites are paid to talk about controversial things because it boosts ratings. I listen to Francessa once in a while if he's talking football, which is rare, but I do take what he says with a grain of salt because he IS a Jets hater... always has been. So was Russo, maybe worse. But you do have to at least think about some of this stuff and file it away in the "Could be garbage but maybe some of it is truth" category.

11. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

this thread is still going on?
    OMG THE SKYZORZ ARE TEH FALLINGZ!!

we look like clowns, not bc we went 3-0 and then 3-3, as originally implied (see point 3 in post numero uno), but rather bc players like scott talk shit. oic. its clear now. bart scott has had that reputation for years in baltimore, so now bc he's on a team that's 500 he should cease to be that person. conjecture. some like it some don't. don't care where you stand, its your opinion you're entitled to it.
    we look like clowns, bc rex has confidence in his team and "makes excuses". got it. he's supposed to say things like "we sure as shit sucked ballz today didn't we?" ??!? again, if you don't like his style you're entitled to that opinion, but me personally, i like this over what we've had for hte past decade.

there's been a few logical, and undisputable arguments posted by some here on why things aren't as good as they seem. yes, rex needs to manage the clock better at times... yes he has been outcoached a game or two... those are valid debates. but i'm sorry, sans those few logical points, this thread is shit. its based off of francessa's point of view, which most will agree is shit.

facts are this team has hit a bump in the road. adversity, and how you overcome it define a person/team. so cut the fucking doom and gloom crap. the upcoming weeks will tell y'all who this team is. but really its all about the development of our franchise QB.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There has to be some happy medium there. For the past decade we have been bouncing from one extreme to another, since Parcells left the coaching gig.

First we had an overbearing disciplinarian that the locker room hated with Al Groh.

Then they flipped it an got a jovial, pep-talk HC who never met a microphone he didn't like in Herm Edwards - which had a happy locker room and a lack of physical discipline, or even fundamental discipline.

Then we went back to the overbearing disciplinarian in Mangini, who focused on fundamentals and would fine a player for farting too loudly in the classroom. The result? We are finding out that he also lost the locker room.

Now we have a guy in Ryan, and there are signs to make a case for possible great coach and possible jovial, pep-talk HC who definitely doesn't shy away from the microphone, who makes his player visibly happy and sets zero constraints on them in the media.

It's too early to truly tell what to make of Rex yet. But one thing about that list above is true. The main thing that all of those guys has in common is that none of them had any experience as a HC before the Jets hired them.

13. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Without a doubt this team has had a serious bi-polar like identity over the last decade. :rofl: It is crazy that we go from one extreme to the other, but not surprising. Maybe through the hiring process they are consciously or unconsciously looking for that opposite of what has been.

While Rex is another in a long line of OJT candidates, at least he came to us with more meat on his resume than fluff. After 8 games though I think we are starting to see the real guy. Nothing reveals character like losing games. Hopefully all stuff he will learn to grow from and become better.

14. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

I guess it needs to be a happy medium. Yes, I do agree they just need to shut up and play the game, but still keep some of the attitude.

15. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I want the Jets to think they're good enough to win a Super Bowl but they have to keep in mind they have to continue to get better and nothing is going to get handed to them. The attitude that they're surprised teams score/win against them is one thing if you've earned that and they haven't yet.

16. Mossachusetts

Mossachusetts Banned

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Joe Beningo is a retard that romanticizes losing. Chances are ,you are a Red Sox fan and you are familiar with that romance. The Sox fans did it all through the 80s and 90s.

18. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

I'm making spelling errors. GET OVER IT. talk about something that matters

19. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

I agree with you that he is a retard, but he doesn't romanticize losing, he's just sick of these pathetic games we lose.

20. Mossachusetts

Mossachusetts Banned

Yes, yes iam a HUGE Red Sox fan. :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.