Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I've repeatedly stated that I would be willing to give up more than most posters here. I stand by my position.

This is where Watson would rank, right now, after only 3+ seasons in the nfl, on the Jets all-time lists:

Pass completion % - 1st
    Passing yards - 4th
    Passing TDs - 4th
    Rushing yards - 21st
    Rushing TDs - 13th

This rushing stats include all players btw.

2. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he would not have those numbers if he had been on the Jets the last 3 years!

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Neither would the other Jets on those lists if they'd been on the Jets the last three years.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Show me where I said the only reason to get Watson was just so that Miami didn't. I wish you posters would stop with the silly straw man arguments. I'm disappointed that you stooped to the same thing.

I have been saying in this thread and the previous thread about Watson how much I wanted Watson for the Jets. He will be a great fit in our offense, whether we use Shanahan's or the one that LaFleur's brother uses in GB.

Getting Watson would be smart. As Nova or someone pointed out earlier today, even giving 4 -1st round picks for Watson would be reasonable. We probably would be taking a QB with the #2 pick anyway. Using 4 - 1st round picks would be like trading our #2 and Jamal Adams, plus one more #1 pick for Watson. What is not smart is saying that getting Watson wouldn't be smart.

Your thinking Watson could go to Miami and not work out is just silly.

#1624 NCJetsfan, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Lon Chaney and JetsKickAss like this.
  5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Maybe after going up against Brady for 20 years, even Watson and Allen don't scare me. They each have flaws and teams will learn to highlight them.

And Marino scared teams his first 4 seasons in a way that Watson hasn't even approached.

Section 336 likes this.
  6. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I want to type something funny, but I can't. Nothing does this justice. I have lived much of my sports fandom life under some of the worst ownership and executives around, but this would be unbearable for me if I were a Texans fan. My god. How is this man's ascension even possible?

#1626 Snatch Catch, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Watson is not better than Marino.... not yet

and I don’t give a shit what stats say...it was SUCH a different game then....the rules are so different now, and even more so compared to when Namath played.

shit, if you look at Namath based only on stats, you’d come away saying he was mediocre....completion percentage was what, in the 50’s? But stats are only valid comparisons within an era. So it’s fair to compare Watson’s stats against his contemporaries like Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, etc. and he holds up. He’s really really good. He’s the guy I wanted Mac to draft at 6.

but you can’t hold up a 70% completion percentage and 4000 yard seasons and say he’s better than Marino. Stats don’t translate. When Marino threw for 5000 yard, it was unheard of. Now, several guys have done it, including Matt Stafford. I don’t think anyone is saying Matt’s better than Marino either.

watson is good....when all is said and done, he may well be better than Marino. But to me, that’s a bit premature.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That's awful, but we can't forget about this.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Agreed. But you actually make my other point. It's funny because during the 07 draft I kept pushing for Watson and Cook in round 1 and 2. But if we're drafted Watson, would he have developed the same here? Probaly not.

We have a chance to get the best version of Watson, one that wasn't held down by bad management or Bowles or Gase. A guy who knows the NFL, has proven he can succeed, coming into a fresh start with a new young OC, looking to prove himself tho the world.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I am all for Watson as most Jets fan are, many just disagree on what price is too high.

For me, any deal cannot include the #2 pick unless it is straight up that pick, and maybe a 3rd.
    Any deal cannot be for more than 3 first rounders.
    I would be willing to give #23 and even both next year instead of waiting of our 2023.

To chime in on the Marino side of things, I think anyone who thinks Watson is better than Marino probably never saw Marino play. I doubt that there will ever be a day where Watson’s name gets thrown around with guys like Marino, Manning etc.

Jets79 and Rockinz like this.
  11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

A few posters on here keep hammering the table about Watson stats and how great they are so I went back and looked how many times the Texans were down by 2 scores where Watson could pad his stats throwing into soft zone coverage to wide open receivers. Also looked how many shootouts he was in against top 10 worst defences. The numbers are staggering...

Stats are very misleading he padded his stats through shootouts against really bad Ds and against soft zone by trailing in games A LOT. I’m not saying Watson is fools gold but I definitely can’t justify giving up more than 3 1s for a QB based on stats because his are padded to the max last year. Plus he has had a major knee injury too boot.

Section 336 likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Some of this is true, but some of it isn't. He also faced 5 different top 12 passing defenses. And the Colts didn't quite get there in terms of yardage but he also faced them twice and faired pretty well.

He definitely had some Blake Bortles like inflation to his yardage and maybe even a couple garbage time touchdowns he normally wouldn't have had. But he also gave his team a chance to win against Indianapolis twice, Tennessee twice, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati in large part because of his fourth quarter passing.

Not to mention it's not like this season was an absolute anomaly. He's been good in all four years of his career.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He has torn both his right and left ACL. But I dont think it matters much, he's a pocket passer not a runner and his mobility is fine. If he was a running back or wide receiver I could see the concern with that.

2 scores isn't necessarily garbage time by the way

Yankjetfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're probably right. Time, anti-Dolphins bias, and the fact that I've always liked Watson as a person and QB and hated Marino are probably coloring my memory of him.

Jets79 likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Watson is not the cap problem this year. I'm betting the Texans new GM is sweating out a cut of J.J. Watt and some other very unpopular moves around Brandin Cooks and a couple of other guys. He's likely trying to get people to renegotiate in a very unfavorable atmosphere to do it.

Any early trade of Watson is going to aggravate the cap problems already on the books and not in a small way. Post-June 1st is about the only way they could reasonably move Watson without making some other very unpopular moves alongside the trade.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The NBA is a completely different situation. 5 players on the floor makes a single acquisition potentially championship worthy. The players and their agents essentially control player movement.

In the NFL you need a deep roster with quality at a dozen or more positions to contend. The teams control player movement with the franchise tag.

Jets79 and JetBlue like this.
  17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

c some marino comments with watson.....come on guys be serious.

the ONLY passers that compare with marino (i dont care about how many Sb's or playoff wins) to come along after him are brady and mahomes.

18. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

You looked up stats that you don’t share in this post that don’t at all discredit Watson and don’t do it for other qbs for a frame of reference and the numbers are staggering?!?

you can’t justify giving up more than 3 1st rounders bc of his juiced up stats from last year?

his whole career. His whole career he’s the most accurate passer in league history. 2nd highest qb rating ever. Behind bad olines.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I didn't say that was the only thing you said, but that was your main thing that I was responding too. You said if the Dolphins get Watson, the Jets wouldn't win the East for a decade or something like that. I disagree. There are many factors. If Joe Douglas sets a price of #2 overall, #23 overall and next year's 1st round pick, and the Dolphins offer more, I wouldn't want Douglas to go even higher just because Miami did. I think you feel otherwise, and would give up whatever it takes to acquire Watson and keep him from Miami. I think the Jets have to do what is right for them and not worry about other teams. My worry is Douglas' offer will be even less than that and the Jets will be out of the running pretty quick.

20. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

The #2 pick this year is worth 3 number ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.