Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's not me thinking about where you stand. I'm not trying to put words Into your mouth or speak on your behalf.

It's me making sure you understand where I stand. You are disagreeing with me, I'm just informing you of my stance further so that you know what my main point was. That is all.

On the blocking Miami thing. You are consistently claiming that we are screwed If Miami gets, Watson. You then say that "If JD ALLOWS Watson to go to the Dolphins, then this team is screwed for the next 10 years, and I'll be done."

JD can only prevent that from happening If he gives up the farm. By ALLOWING any team to get him, that means he didn't give up everything. You get that, right?

Now If we can get him for the right price and don't have to give up the farm just to keep another team from getting him. I'm for it.

You are pounding the table for Watson. I appreciate that.

.. I think you need to step back and realize I'm not coming at you In any kind of way. You're reading my post's wrong, so I was explaining my overall point to you further. That's all.

For example.. You seem to think that I think that trading for Watson Is foolish. I never stated that, said that, or claimed that.

When I stated...

"...and making foolish decisions just to block other teams isn't going to make us successful."

I'm obviously saying.. If you give up EVERYTHING/THE FARM/ETC... just to block other teams, that Isn't going to make us successful.

So. Step back. I'm not trying to be you, or explain your feelings. I'm just giving you my point.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. IIMeanDeanII

Good thing I didn't say that anyone was literally saying this too then, eh?

All I'm saying...

If you read between the lines with some posters. They clearly want Watson...

Really, really, really, badly.. Posting In ways of essentially making sure we get him at all costs. Despite that acknowledgement of other options outside of, Watson.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's a very distinct difference between thinking something is the only option and something is the best option.

#1603 Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't notice/remember who made the original post I responded to regarding the Jets failing, so when you responded as you did, I thought you were disagreeing with me. LOL

I disagree with the bold. We have more draft capital than Miami does over the next two years. We can afford to give up more than they do and still not have "given up the farm." There's also the issue that the #3 pick originally was the Texans' pick, and they would look dumb trading to get it back. There's also the fact that the Dolphins are supposedly high on Tua and they just hired one of his former QB coaches, so they may not even have any real interest in trading for Watson. There's also the issue that even if Houston did trade with Miami for the #3 pick, we could take the QB they wanted with our #2 pick. I think Miami is the one who would have to give up the farm, because no matter what they gave up, we could still get the QB the Texans covet with the #2 pick. I think JD is going to be able to get Watson a lot cheaper than everyone else does.

Brook! and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When I wrote this post I was laughing at the "OH NO!!! If Watson goes to Miami we'll never win the division for a decade! We're screwed". Like we could never draft OUR OWN Mahomes/Watson. There's good QBs coming out every year, including next year, and the year after, and the year after. It's not all doom and gloom if Watson goes to Miami. In fact, we could end up with a young QB on his rookie deal that's BETTER than Watson.

Like last year when Burrow was the best and went #1, then Maimi tanked for Tua and got their man at #5. All the good QBs were gone. Then SD drafted some unknow kid Justin Herbert at #6, and Herbert has been better in his rookie year that Tua will ever be.

Good QBs every year. Just got to wait and get our guy!

#1605 Footballgod214, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  6. IIMeanDeanII

There's also a difference between claiming there are multiple options but STILL acting as If there Is only one.

7. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I'm in this boat but to me all in isn't our entire draft or Q or anything remotely similar but I would give up more than most. It's franchise altering, from the FA that will come here to the inspired play I would expect to see from the players. It should make the defense better too. Longer sustained drives, better practice reps. I realize we could find our Watson in the draft but fact is we haven't.. Ever...
    I would give a lot, probably all 4 1's honestly but I'll get flamed for it I'm sure lol.
    I would do that because in my head to justify it I would say well we should only have 2 1's anyway and one would be spent on a QB so why not just give the other one up, I can sell it to myself pretty easy:cool:

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You're just cruel, there is no place for brutal honesty on forums :(

Baumeister and bicketybam like this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

That's the thing....getting a top QB WOULD be franchise altering (in a very good way). But losing ALL your premium draft capital can be franchise altering too (in a very bad way). Just got to way it out I guess...

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There are almost always other options. The problem is that often there's one option that's much better than the other options. That's the situation here. Getting Watson, a proven elite FQB is the best option within a reasonable cost. There are no questions or doubts about his leadership or play on the field. Trading for him is not a crap shoot like the draft. Even if we have to give up more than we would like, it's still probably the best option, although less so than otherwise. The only other good option imo is either drafting a QB at #2 or trading down to #4 and taking a QB. Any of the other options are a lot less desireable imo, and some of them, like trading down and not taking a QB and/or rolling with Sam and trying to build around him, are downright awful, untenable options imo.

11. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Not ALL the draft capital, if we trade Sam for a 2 we would have I think 4 2s the next 2 years. 2s are still prime draft capital and I think we have 4 3s too. Either way it's still a lot of draft left and 80m to spend. Watson would be here for hopefully another 10-15 years of drafts.
    I guess to me in order to get the best QB the Jets have EVER had at 25 years old there isn't much I wouldn't give up. I'm so tired of watching Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Brees and yes Watson tearing up the league while we roll out the Sanchez and Darnolds of the world over and over again. Watson to Allen Robinson on Sundays, yes please.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I've been thinking about this the wrong way the whole time.

13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Thing is stats aren’t everything... I think anyone would agree Tom Brady is the best player of all time and he’s not top 5 in every statistical category. Watson is 100% a star FQB but through the history of the NFL he’s not in the conversation for best ever or even close to top 10 all time. He’s in the conversation for top 50

REVISion likes this.
  14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

So well said Dean! Look as a jet fan we all want what’s best and in reality Watson is available. The Texans are just posturing... it can’t be more obvious. This is there way to try and drive up the price. It’s not going to be 5 firsts rounders.. everyone knows including the Texans that’s not in reach. 3 firsts + Darnold is the MAX and I’d try for even less than that to start.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  15. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Of course he's not in the conversation for best ever or even close top 10 of all time - that's specifically why he's so worth trading for right now.

He's just 15 months older than Joe Burrow and already has 15K passing yards and 3 Pro Bowl selections. He's the same age Aaron Rodgers was when he started his first game for the Packers. He's only just begun.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Ah fuck. My smarmy italics really bit me in the ass there.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Tua himself could get a grasp on the NFL and become the franchise QB that many people thought he would be. You can't try to get Watson just so Miami doesn't get him. Doesn't make sense. He needs to fit what the Jets are doing and what their plan is going forward. Watson has had two torn ACL's. The Jets could trade 4 1st round picks for him, he gets injured again, and the Jets are still at the bottom of the division, while Miami is succeeding with Tua. You just never know.

Watson could go to Miami, it just not work out, and the Jets succeed with Wilson or Fields. All you can do is what is best for your team if you are Joe Douglas. Can't worry about other teams. If they offer 3 1st round picks, and Miami offers 4, then let them have Watson. You have to be smart.

Now, on the flip side, if you play Josh Allen, Tua, etc, you may build your defense to stop them. That is completely understandable and teams do it all the time.

18. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

much better he shouldn't even be in the same sentence with them McNair nor Newton can sling it like Watson can that's just blasphemy

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

20. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.