Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Sam didn't come here to kiss Watson's rings.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What did he come to do?

REVISion likes this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Crush our hopes and dreams? Success!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I do agree with this, but there is some justification for worrying that if Watson winds up on the Phins it will make beating them and Bills a VERY difficult proposition. The fact is that to have consistent success you need to have a top QB, and as of now the Jets not only don't have that, the last time they even remotely had that was possibly with Pennington. So, to say: "We don't need Watson, we can obtain someone nearly as good (or hopefully better, but very unlikely), and compete with him and Mahomes." borders on wishful thinking. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea that Douglas could find such a QB and build such a team without resorting to trading and FA, but that's just my ego talking. The reality is that while drafting well is the main foundation of sustainable success, you also need to use trades and FA well. So in that vein, getting Watson still falls squarely within the "recipe" of building a sustainable winner, especially since Watson is so young.

HomeoftheJets and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

if he goes to Miami we're cooked. Between Buffalo & Miami beating us twice a year, the playoff drought will last another 10 years

Brook!, bicketybam and NOVAJET like this.
  6. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

it’s not fair to say Watson is better than Marino, but there’s no question that he’s got the highest completion percentage all time and 2nd highest Qb rating all time behind a bad oline and at least 1 year of terrible team management. He’s much better than McNair or Newton.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I like how fans think all the good QBs have already been drafted. There will never be another Mahomes. Never be another Watson. We must get a proven QB now or we're doomed to decades of failure.

Rockinz, Jets79 and chandler like this.
  8. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

No one has or ever will say that. You couldn’t build a better straw man argument than that.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. IMO you HAVE to worry about that. You have to think about your competition. The Dolphins getting Watson is just as detrimental to the Jets as the Jets getting Watson is a postive for the Jets. If they get Watson and draft well, they know they can compete with anyone. If they don't get Watson, they know their chances of winning the division the next 10 years are slim and none. Elite QBs don't grow on trees. There are no guarantees that even Watson becomes an elite FQB. I like Fields, Wilson and Lance a lot, and think they have a chance to become very good, and maybe elite FQBs, but unless or until that happens, the Jets will be on the bottom looking up. I'm tired of that view. I'm certainly not going to wait around 5-10 years and HOPE that the one of them we draft will become an elite QB, and then HOPE we can beat both the Bills and Dolphins enough to get to the playoffs multiple times, especially when they have the chance to get Watson now and complete change the trajectory of this franchise.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He's already done that like 40 times in this thread alone.

Jonathan_Vilma and REVISion like this.
  11. bicketybam

I like how you are clinging to Sam's nut sack with an iron grip! Don't let go!

12. NCJetsfan

Sorry, I disagree. Getting Watson is totally in our control if he is willing to be traded here. First of all, we wouldn't be giving everything away, and second, it wouldn't be just to prevent another team from making a move. It would be a double move, improving our team tremendously and changing our future for the better, AND preventing the Dolphins from getting him. It's not necessarily fear. One can look at it that way, but it's also being smart and strategic. The goal of any team is become as good as they can be and to win the SB. Getting Watson would make us the best we can be over the next 10 years and would give us the greatest chance of getting to and winning a SB. Trading for Watson is NOT a foolish decision. GTFO with that nonsense!

Maybe you'll be happy having to be 3rd or 4th place in the division every year and either missing the playoffs every year, or sneaking in as a wild card and being one and done. I won't be. If JD allows Watson to go to the Dolphins, this team is fucked for the next 10 years, and I'll be done.

#1592 NCJetsfan, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    NOVAJET likes this.
  13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Literally no one is saying this.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Excellent point! I love how so many Jets fans are just ignoring history and/or are convincing themselves that we'd still have a chance to win the division every year with both Watson and Allen in our division. Delusional thinking at its finest.

HomeoftheJets, NOVAJET and bicketybam like this.
  15. bicketybam

I can't even count how many losses to the Bills when I was a season ticket holder and Kelly was the QB. Even when we took the lead late, he would march down the field and win the game. It was brutal.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

My point, isn't to dissuade anyone from wanting, Watson. I too, want, Watson.

However. I want him at a certain cost, not at all cost. I'm okay with giving up a little more to secure him. I'm not okay with giving up a ridiculous amount just to block another team from getting him.

I'm not okay with being basement dwellers all of our lives. Far from It, but, I don't want to get behind the mentality of someone like Mikey Tannebaum either. That guy was a sure fire scrub at the GM position, always guns blazing, never using any football IQ In the process. Just throwing shit at a wall and hoping something sticks.

I don't believe In that approach.

Fortunately I think JD Is calculated, smart, and understands how to build a football team the right way. I hope I'm right In that assessment.

Again, giving up the farm Isn't the right way. Getting him at all cost, also, Is not the right way. I am for getting him though, for the right price for the current STATE of this team.

We got to remember. We certainly are not one piece of the puzzle away from being good, a lot of work needs to be done outside of the QB position as well. There Is also different ways to hit gold at the QB position. This situation Is an anomaly, almost never happens, so operating as such would be the best option for this team.

If It happens, fucking A. If not, there really isn't a reason to panic.

There are multiple ways to skin this cat. Just gotta trust JD will figure It out right now.

17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

People may not be saying It.. There are certainly posters who are acting like this Is the case though. To be fair.

Jets79 likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Do you think that I was advocating the Mike Tannenbaum approach to team building or that I'm willing to pay a ridiculous cost (give up the farm) to get him? No one on this site has been more critical of Tannenbaum than me. Just a couple of days ago, I wasn't willing to give up both of our #1 picks this year. Does that sound like someone who is taking a willy nilly approach?

Where did I say that the only reason I wanted Watson was to block Miami from getting him? Have I not been pushing for Watson since it became known that he wanted out of Houston? I don't understand your reaction to my posts at all. Because what you're accusing me of, isn't even remotely close to what I have been saying.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

except the 1st game after Dennis Byrd's injury. We got Kelly that day

bicketybam likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Huh? Most people who want Watson acknowledge that the alternative plan of selecting a quarterback at #2 is a viable option. They just see the value in getting a great talent at a young age.

So I'll echo what @REVISion said. Literally no one is saying what was insinuated.

Brook!, HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.