Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Picture yourself on a train in a station, with plasticine porters with looking glass ties. Suddenly someone is there at the turnstile, the girl with the kaleidoscope eyes...Lucy in the sky with diamonds..Lucy in the sky with diamonds..Lucy in the sky with diamonds....Aaahhhh......
    [​IMG]

#1521 joe, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

You’re underrating what Watson’s production would be over Tua or Darnold. And the “mortgage the future” thing is an exaggeration. The Jets could draft 5 of the top 100 players in this draft after trading for Watson and have plenty of cap space to put a team that can compete for the division in year 1 on the field. And they’d have cap room and a draft pick in each round in year 2.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

No I’m not.

I’m not sure what your reference to mortgaging the future is in reference to in regards to my post.

4. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

5. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

He's not wrong, and that speaks volumes to how he feels about Sam in my opinion.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

How are we having 5 picks and Watson ?

Are the Texans trading him for a bunch of Hess Christmas Trucks ? :D

7. chad2coles

#2, #34, ‘22 SEA 1st, ‘23 1st for Watson
    Trade Darnold to the Saints/Colts/Panthers for a 2nd round pick

Ralebird, PJ4Ever and Snatch Catch like this.
  8. chad2coles

You are definitely underrating some combination of Watson, the impact of replacing Gase, and the talent the Jets could bring in with ~$80m in cap space and a still healthy amount of draft capital over the next 2 years.

*Mortgage the farm.
    It’s an exaggeration with obvious negative connotations. These draft picks aren’t real estate. They are lotto tickets, and some future lotto tickets at that. Watson is the sure thing in this equation. There is a better chance all the picks traded for Watson are out of the league in 5 years than 1 of them being on Watson’s trajectory at this stage in their careers.

And the idea that you have to pass up on a top 3 QB in the league bc we don’t have a potential pro bowler at every position yet is absurd. You miss at the QB position once and your franchise is done for 3 years. Fill the hardest position to fill w the top 3 25 year old on a team friendly deal now. You still have more draft picks in the top 100 than almost any other team AND more cap space than all but 2 other teams in a buyer’s market. You know what those 2 other teams don’t have? A top 3 QB.

#1528 chad2coles, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  9. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Wait, we have 5 picks in the Top 100 AFTER trading those for Watson ? o_O

PJ4Ever likes this.
  10. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Are you saying Lawrence’s floor is Deshaun Watson? Lol

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Yes

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

A bad day to buy an Oilers shirt.

13. K'OB

That is a man looking for clicks.

14. K'OB

Me, I would hate us to go back to 8-8 they are absolutely nothing seasons, this is the reason I was advocating 0-16 whilst dumb MAc was in charge and even then they couldn't lose properly to make the rebuild work, of course, dumb dumb couldn't draft to save his life.

I would have happily taken 3 utterly shit seasons 0-16, 1-15 types if it meant we would have been coming out of that now with a decent team and future.

Cheering for 8-8 is like cheering for being mediocre :(

Br4d and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

This off-season would be so much better if they just could have finished 0-16.

Ill give the Browns a pass because of COVID. Really hate the Rams and McVay.

16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

absolutely nuts. bereft of talent. Bereft of cap space. Let's make our one asset all the more furious and situation toxic.

Makes me wonder whether this "news" isn't coming from one of the teams inquiring rather than Texans

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. chandler

not at all trying to be political or controversial, but there has always been this cloud that "trading players" sounds like slavery. ANd not trying to be language police but there are other terms here, e.g., trade contracts, trader services

The point here is things can get catastrophically worse if the players on the team or the NFL call bullshit on this. For sure there's going to be a Brett Favre statements' contingent out there. ANd a group that doesn't feel empathetic to a guy making about 40 mill/year. But i think this is really playing with fire: brinkmanship

Really shows how dysfunctional organizations work (remember when we were the textbook case of that). Houston mgmt should be sitting down with Watson right now and discussing how everyone can get the best out of this circumstance, outlining the forseeable bumps in their paths, possible timelines etc.

Then again, Houston Texans may be looking at how the Houston Rockets got 7 first round picks or swaps for Harden who wanted out

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. chandler

this is true, but they need Watson on board with that. If Watson is pissed all bets are off. He doesn't have to agree to go to the highest bidder. He in effect can say I only agree to team X. trade me there or i'll be a sulky-half effort guy for the forseeable future, or pull a Bell

19. chandler

But he has a NTC. So Houston needs to play nice with Watson. They need to tell him heard you loud and clear and we're willing to accommodate your wishes but we need your flexibility on teams

they could play hardball with them; and he could half-effort them back

Snatch Catch and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Considering contracts and trades (not to mention selling players) existed in sports before black athletes were even allowed to play its obvious that those concepts have no connection to slavery and it’s an extremely dishonest claim to make to try and connect them. But it’s not an argument being made with the intention of trying to appeal to rational people to begin with; irrational people tend to be a pretty good market to target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.