Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Marcus Maye is not going to sign with the Texans as a favor to the Jets.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

There are still a lot of QB needy teams. As the draft get closer both the hype and pressure is going to build. It is possible we end up with quite a bidding war for the #2 by draft week.

The Rams are in full win now mode trying to get back to the SB before their core disbands. That made them a little desperate. Desperation makes teams overpay. I look at the board and I sense a growing desperation from teams like the Niners, Bears, Washington, Dallas, an maybe even the Steelers and Pats. Their desperation may infect the Panthers and the Falcons - who are much better trade partners. Who knows what desperation we'll encounter in the coming months for the #2 - or even for Sam. So long as we don't become infected by it, we stand to profit.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you're building the Jets to contend in 2022 you keep both Maye and Williams.

4. Br4d

The Rams were $31M over the cap before the trade. They're $10M over afterwards. They still have work to do but it's nowhere near as bad as it was before the trade.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  5. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

i wouldn’t it move Williams under any circumstances.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/1355918430197739521

Take that for what it’s worth. Don’t know if that means he’s working the phone for a Watson trade or just in general but either way that’s bad.

Edit: guess I can’t post the tweet because he has me blocked for some reason. Basically says Easterby is still the one working the phones and calling other teams.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I know, but the premise of my post was a reply to the latest tweet.....Texans will want 2 defensive starters are part of the trade. If so, which two would you send them? Stick your toe in, lets go!

8. Br4d

I'm not making a trade for Watson. It's too early in the rebuild and we don't have enough talent to make the move work.

The Saints got into trouble after the Super Bowl year and went 7-9 4 out of 5 years running with Drew Brees at QB. You have to have talent around your QB and a lot of it or you aren't winning big in the NFL.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Maye wasn't mentioned until you put his name out there so there was no choice between Q or Maye to start with.

So it would be neither that was the point, why would we give up one of our best players from the little pool of good players we possess?

Only an absolute cretin would trade Q away now.

Which reminds me to go and have a look at Q's thread and remind myself who the guy was who hated his guts and thought he was utter shit.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

When a trade suggestion is so utterly stupid it is best to let it slide rather than involve yourself choosing between two players to send off in a trade when neither is ever going to happen.

11. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

He's a great writer and the axe on all things Texans. He just got this wrong.

I remembr when he broke the firing of Bum Philips. That was a shocker at the time....think of Bill Belichick getting fired today.

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

McClain wrote the two defensive starters thing because he wants the Texans to get Q. I doubt it has any basis in reality.

NYGANGGREEN and The Dark Knight like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

The Saints made the playoffs each of the next two years after winning the Super Bowl. Guess who wouldn’t give a shit about some 7-9 years after winning a title then contending for the next two? All of us.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't feel like looking for myself but I'm going to take a wild guess that it was BrowningNagle?

15. Br4d

More information on why the Rams did the Stafford trade:

They were $31M over the cap and had 6 players with cap numbers over $11M for 2021. Those 6 players had dead money numbers totaling $203M for 2021.

They literally had no way out unless somebody took a huge contract off of their books and absorbed most of the cap hit for 2021. That's why they gave up 2 1st round picks to ditch Goff's contract. He had a $65M dead money hit before the trade and a $22M dead money hit after it.

Jalen Ramsey has $65M in dead money, Aaron Donald has $36M in dead money, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and Andrew Whitworth total nearly $40M in dead money.

Everybody thinks the Rams did this to compete next year but the reality is they have at least one more contortionist act type move still to come just to get under the cap when you take into account all their draft picks.

16. Br4d

The Saints had the team built.

Think about it.

17. BroadwayAaron

So what’s your point? Don’t trade for the franchise QB and bank on us nailing every draft pick first?

Ralebird likes this.
  18. Br4d

My point is you don't have a FQB unless you have a team built to support him and win.

Matthew Stafford and Deshaun Watson show what a FQB is worth when the rest of the team is shit.

19. BroadwayAaron

Sorry I’m just never gonna agree with the notion of “you shouldn’t trade for a franchise QB until you have a great team” especially when the team trading for the franchise QB will also have tons of money to spend and more than a normal stash of picks.

Snatch Catch and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'd give up Quinnen Williams. I mean you are gonna let a stud like Watson go because of Quinnen Williams? please... DTs grow on trees

94Abraham and NYGANGGREEN like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.